Official Scion iQ EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

The official Toyota press release says ...

Advanced technology vehicles. New, advanced vehicles arriving in 2012 include the Prius plug-in hybrid, RAV4 EV and Scion iQ EV.

http://sciclonic.com/2011/06/scion-iq-ev-electric-confirmed-for-2012/

A prototype of the Toyota iQ was shown in Geneva earlier this year that has a 65 mile range and a top drawer lithium-ion battery pack. The flat rectancular batter pack fits under the floor so it does not take up any space in the interior.

Notice the DC fast charger ?

iqelectric1.jpg

65 miles they claim, which would make it useless for me if it is based on LA4... Also, I hope the vehicle itself is better than the ICE Scion which, frankly, is a very marginal vehicle (I'm being PC here)...

drees said:
Didn't I read somewhere that it will have less battery than even the iMiev?

drees said:
Didn't I read somewhere that it will have less battery than even the iMiev?

60 miles is also about what the iMiev will do, these are very small cars that dont require a big battery.

Depending on the price point, a vehicle like this would be ideal to replace my Xebra as my daily commuter. Range is not an issue for me (even the 20 miles or so the Xebra is limited to) but having a more reliable vehicle would certainly be nice. Of course, my Xebra only costs me $64 per YEAR to insure (since it's registered as a motorcycle) and I'm sure this will be significantly more... :)

I will watch this closely as to range and cost. If the lease
gets more expensive than I expect then I will wait to see
what else is available. I like small vehicles..........

This could be a very attractive product. There are many who commute solo distances well within the range of this vehicle-- for the right price this could sell well... In my mind that price would be about 25K before subsidies.

Apparently this is going to be Toyota's fleet/car sharing program vehicle, not the RAV4 EV.

Scion iQ EV won't be sold to the general public [UPDATE]
UPDATE: Instead of using the strikeout feature in this entire post, here's an update direct from Pike Research: "Toyota called to clarify that the vehicle that will only be sold to fleets is the Scion iQ EV, not the RAV4 EV as we were previously told." So, um, yeah.

http://insideevs.com/toyota-scion-iq-ev-comes-to-the-united-states/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Newly published specifications on the Toyota iQ:

- 12 kWh lithium battery
- US-rated range of “up to” 50 miles (down from previous estimates of 60+)
- full charge (via 240v) in 3 hours
- 47 kW (63hp) motor with 120 lbs.-ft of torque
- zero to 60 mph in 13.4 seconds, and from 30 to 50 mph in seven seconds
- 78-inch wheel base and 13.5 foot turning radius
- three drive modes: D – power conserve for city driving, S – sport, and B which maximizes regenerative braking efficiency
- top speed: 78 mph

Not sure this thing will "fly". Check out the article for the price and compared to the Smart ED. wow.

I just spotted an IQ EV in the parking lot at Tustin District mall. Regular CA consumer license plates. Looks pretty cool, though tiny, of course.

I'll add pictures from my phone later tonite when I get the chance.

Here are a few pics of the IQ EV that I saw on Saturday in Tustin. I was surprised to also see a red one near UC Irvine later that afternoon. They're everywhere!

Attachments

• fr_683_size880.jpg
    fr_683_size880.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 31
  • fr_681_size880.jpg
    fr_681_size880.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 31
  • fr_678_size880.jpg
    fr_678_size880.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 31
^^^
Interesting! I've never seen one anywhere, in the wild or not.

Even the sightings in the wild of the ICE version are virtually 0 for me (maybe actually 0).

Back