Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
Some good news for Tesla.

The North Carolina legislature has dropped its anti-Tesla bill

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/06/25/2989207/nc-legislators-drop-bid-to-curb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice :D NADA may have figured out the entire franchise dealer model could be at risk if this ends up in Congress or the Supreme Court.

smkettner said:
Nice :D NADA may have figured out the entire franchise dealer model could be at risk if this ends up in Congress or the Supreme Court.
Yes, if they are smart, they should just ignore Tesla. Even at 50k vehicles a year, they are hardly a threat in a 15 Million a year market.

evnow said:
smkettner said:
Yes, if they are smart, they should just ignore Tesla. Even at 50k vehicles a year, they are hardly a threat in a 15 Million a year market.

Yeah, that's the ticket... Until gen 3, when it just sneaks up on them, their selling 200K/year, and they've partnered with some major manufacturers, who will further drive down the cost due to massive purchasing power, yes, before they know it, the electrification of the fleet will be unstoppable, by then traditional dealers will be asking to carry EVs, because they won't want to miss all of the sales from people walking in and asking for them.

What ... no comment about the LEAF in the background (NC Tesla bill link --- don't need to look very hard)?

SA2lr.AuSt.156.jpeg

A person who was at the "Normal, IL" SuperCharger ribbon cutting, has posted some pictures, this is the first SuperCharger site not on the east or west coast, the start of the east-west US network.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chitrainfan/sets/72157634359923648/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chitrainfan/sets/72157634359917246/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/specialized-car-charging-station-opens-in-normal/article_3220aa1e-dea4-11e2-9ad8-0019bb2963f4.html?comment_form=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YouTube video of the event: http://youtu.be/umYAdZxTmw4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Local news coverage: http://tv10.illinoisstate.edu/wp/2013/06/26/tesla-supercharger-revealed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

saw a tesla yesterday on the 105 in El Segundo.
it had plates and the white HOV stickers.

the owner had the stickers hung in the rear window, apparently thinking they are too ugly for the car.

i am thinking that the CHP might bust him.
you are not supposed to be able to swap the things around, and I would think an officer might deem the car ticketable if the stickers are not affixed.
after all, you cannot ride in the HOV lane while awaiting your stickers, even if you have paid.

thankyouOB said:

the owner had the stickers hung in the rear window, apparently thinking they are too ugly for the car.
Hey, no fair! I uglied up my Leaf with those damn stickers, because you're required to put them on the bumper.

Man, Tesla does not mess around, they are swiftly installing 10 superchargers in Centralia and another 10 in Burlington... the daily progress is impressive!

GaslessInSeattle said:
Man, Tesla does not mess around, they are swiftly installing 10 superchargers in Centralia and another 10 in Burlington... the daily progress is impressive!
Yes, certainly is impressive, and I can't wait to try them out. Minor correction, however - looks like eight at Burlington, not 10. ;)

Looks like the next will be at Woodburn, OR. How sweet for me going south; 176 miles, and bypass Centralia and Portland, shaving a day off a planned trip to Visalia CA..

SuperBlack said:
thankyouOB said:

Hey, no fair! I uglied up my Leaf with those damn stickers, because you're required to put them on the bumper.
I have not put them on either of my cars as my commute doesn't normally warrant it. I'd only be using the occasionally. I figure it's up to the cop and what kind of a mood he's in. As long as he can SEE the stickers, I'm hoping that's good enough.

One of the many reasons why my next EV will be a Tesla...

GaslessInSeattle said:

How does the number of Tesla Supercharger stations compare with the number of Nissan CHADEMO stations ?

KJD said:
How does the number of Tesla Supercharger stations compare with the number of Nissan CHADEMO stations ?
Best I can figure, Tesla has 10 locations now in operation, with 47 chargers.

chademo.com says that as of 6/5/2013, there were 160 CHAdeMO chargers in the USA.

Not too shabby, Tesla. Especially considering the different start dates and the speed of charging.
Comparing locations is a different story, and a project I don't care to undertake.

GeekEV said:
SuperBlack said:
thankyouOB said:

I have not put them on either of my cars as my commute doesn't normally warrant it. I'd only be using the occasionally. I figure it's up to the cop and what kind of a mood he's in. As long as he can SEE the stickers, I'm hoping that's good enough.
it is too bad that y'all allow yourself to be put in the position of needing government issued permission slips to use highways y'all paid for.

GaslessInSeattle said:
FWIW, I think generally accepted terminology is to call the entire site a supercharger. In your example, they're installing TWO superchargers with 10 bays/stations each. Still impressive.

ebill3 said:
KJD said:
Best I can figure, Tesla has 10 locations now in operation, with 47 chargers.

chademo.com says that as of 6/5/2013, there were 160 CHAdeMO chargers in the USA.

Not too shabby, Tesla. Especially considering the different start dates and the speed of charging.
Comparing locations is a different story, and a project I don't care to undertake.

They just opened one in Normal, Illinois, so up to 11 (long way to go still).
Considering the greater range, each supercharger covers an area of about 51,000 sq miles (130 mile radius).
The CHAdeMO chargers cover about 7,700 sq miles each (50 mile radius).

So as for the network as a whole, superchargers cover about 560,000 sq miles while the CHAdeMO network covers about 1,232,000 sq miles.

A much larger area at the moment. And while Tesla will catch up in terms of total area pretty quick, I do like the redundancy of the CHAdeMO network have "nodes" much close together.

There is a petition on the white house petitions website to allow Tesla to sell directly in all states. I highly recommend that everyone signs it!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-tesla-motors-sell-directly-consumers-all-50-states/bFN7NHQR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zythryn said:
They just opened one in Normal, Illinois, so up to 11 (long way to go still).
Well, my original count did include Normal, but it also counted the two locations in CT as separate locations. Shouldn't have, as they are really just one location on opposite sides of I95. So, the count should be:

CA - 6, IL - 1, DE - 1, CT - 1, Total = 9. :oops:

GeekEV said:
FWIW, I think generally accepted terminology is to call the entire site a supercharger. In your example, they're installing TWO superchargers with 10 bays/stations each. Still impressive.

During the battery swapping demonstration he said he'd like to just change it to a "Tesla Station" instead of a Supercharger Station because many of them will have the second option (if there is sufficient demand for swapping).

Personally I think they will only install a few as proof of concept and to have proof to quiet the naysayers, but if it turns out that lots of Model S drivers opt for the swap then he'll put more in.

Back