Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
the big touchscreen is fun to play with. A bit large for my tastes, though, wish it were a bit narrower and a bit shorter.
I keep thinking the same thing... why such a big screen. Seems like a bit of a distraction to me.
No I have not driven a Tesla yet.

smkettner said:
drees said:
the big touchscreen is fun to play with. A bit large for my tastes, though, wish it were a bit narrower and a bit shorter.
I keep thinking the same thing... why such a big screen. Seems like a bit of a distraction to me.

I harly notice the big screen any longer. When driving, you are focused on the road and maybe check the speedometer occasionally (easy to speed in the Model S). The big screen is nice to have because you can have 2 "apps" sharing it at once, or go full screen on the google map, for example.

smkettner said:
drees said:

I like the big screen as the individual buttons are very large and easy to both read and press with minimal need to take your eyes off the road.

I also love the large rear view available.

I have not found it distracting after getting accustomed to it, similar to any other car.

On the black, anyway, those parking sensors are pretty nicely done and much less obtrusive than on other cars I've seen. I wonder how they look on other colors.

GeekEV said:
On the black, anyway, those parking sensors are pretty nicely done and much less obtrusive than on other cars I've seen. I wonder how they look on other colors.

Can I ask what you are referring to? Link or image??
Thanks

Zythryn said:
GeekEV said:

Can I ask what you are referring to? Link or image??
Thanks

coolfilmaker said:
No problem bob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAt5-L05JCE&t=47s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was referring to the video scottf200 linked on the bottom of page 206. It's the same one that coolfilmaker linked just beneath your question... Sorry for the lack of context!

mitch672 said:
smkettner said:
drees said:

I harly notice the big screen any longer. When driving, you are focused on the road and maybe check the speedometer occasionally (easy to speed in the Model S). The big screen is nice to have because you can have 2 "apps" sharing it at once, or go full screen on the google map, for example.
Pretty well sums it up for me. I usually have the map on one half and the web based time4tesla clock on the other.

Also, since all the switches and buttons are on that screen, they are nice a big.

the otherwise distracting stuff on the big screen like turn by turn nav with topo map and the album art and music playing are shown on a half screen...duplicated in miniature on either side of the speedometer, easily glanced at while driving without causing issues. (maybe I'm/was a bit of a luddite but being able to blue tooth pandora to the dashboard still blows my mind) the steering wheel scrolls and buttons also offer an easy and relatively distraction free way of changing songs and screen options. the big screen is used during driving mostly by the passenger or I use it mostly when I'm stopped to adjust things like the sunroof.

smkettner said:
If there was an optional half screen I would probably take it.

GeekEV said:
I was referring to the video scottf200 linked on the bottom of page 206. It's the same one that coolfilmaker linked just beneath your question... Sorry for the lack of context!

No apologies necessary, and thanks:)
I got my hopes up, but saw it was the Europe cars.
I am hopeful we will see the parking sensors here in the USA soon.

The only time I notice the large screen anymore is when I get into some OTHER car and think how puny the screen is! :lol:

Model S deliveries totaled 5,150 in the second quarter, surpassing the company’s target of 4,500, Tesla said in the statement.
Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA), the electric-car company led by Elon Musk, reported a second-quarter adjusted profit, beating analysts’ expectations for a loss, on a Model S sedan delivery surge.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-07/tesla-posts-surprise-adjusted-profit-on-model-s-output.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Tesla stock is quite happy. A portion of it will go to buy my model S HP85+...

KJD said:
Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA), the electric-car company led by Elon Musk, reported a second-quarter adjusted profit, beating analysts’ expectations for a loss, on a Model S sedan delivery surge.

derkraut said:
Yup-----and I am eating crow. :oops:

"Tesla will NEVER be profitable".... "Elon Musk is an idiot".... "Tesla will fail before they ever get the first production roadster on the road" ... "Tesla will fail before the Model S ever enters production"... "Nobody wants an electric car, there's zero demand for them".... "Electric cars just move the pollution from the tailpipe to the smokestack"... "Even if they make a production electric car, it will never have the performance of an ICE car"... "They are only suitable for neighborhhod vehicles at slow speeds"... "there's never going to be an infrastructure to support electric cars"... "the Grid will fail if we convert to electric cars".... "Electric cars will always be too high priced and owning one will be a more expensive proposition than an ICE car"... "The battery pack will never last, they cost too much and they will not work in cold winter weather"... "They will fail at Tesla because they are NOT big Detroit OEM experts"... "They don't know ANYTHING about sustained production of automobiles" .... "Tesla will NEVER achieve 20,000 cars built in a year... "Hydrogen will be an instantly available fuel infrastructure from clean 100% renewable resources for affordable FCEV's that cost less than a ICE car".

redLEAF said:
(I'll post over on the TSLA stock thread) ... but opened over $156/share this morning ... wahoo!!
Much as I'm a fan of Tesla, I'm reminded of the last words in the movie "Bridge on the River Kwai": "Madness! Madness!"

I mean, come on, for a company that has yet to make a profit on its cars, and has to develop and produce another one plus build out the Supercharger network in the next two years, there is no way it's worth that. Not that the stock market and logic have much to do with each other, but still, a bubble of this size? Sooner or later reality has to set in, and the stock can settle to something closer to its true value.

Back