Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
Remember that J1772 didn't even exist when the Roadster came out...

Actually, that's not true. There was the J-1772-2001 standard developed for Avcon that was only 6.6KW capable, check the wiki on J-1772:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The extensions where defined in committee to the 2001 standard, Tesla engineers where on the committee, it's just things where moving too slowly for defining the physical connector for the 2008 launch of the Roadster, so they used their own connector but followed the protocol extensions for higher currents, that they lobbied for.

I want one, and I'm about ready to plunk down the deposit, but my home charging situation has me concerned. I rent and made a request for a 240 volt outlet in my garage for the LEAF. The complex manager was rather iffy, never got around to checking with the contractor or the owners, so I told him to skip it, 120 volts was OK. Homebrewed a quick 240, upgraded (rev 1) my EVSE, and am quite pleased with that set-up for the LEAF.

I understand that with the supplied cord, you can plug a model S directly into a 120 or 240 outlet, but how does the car know what current is available. It appears that when using 120 volts, the car will draw 12 Amps. Does that mean that if you plug into 240 volts, the car assumes 40 Amps are available? If so, then of course my quick 240 is of no use that way.

Since the car does have a J1772 adapter, I suppose I could use my current LEAF set-up (quick 240 and upgraded EVSE) and charge at 240 volts, 12 Amps - about 10 miles range per hour of charge.

I don't need 250 miles range every day, so I can afford 25 hours to charge. But, while the S is charging, what about the poor LEAF? I do have a second Nissan EVSE, so I would have to run an extension cord to the garage from a third 120 volt 15 Amp circuit.

Sorry for the long post, sort of thinking outloud and welcome any comments or suggestions. For various reasons, I don't think I will persue the option of getting 240 volts, 40 Amps installed in the garage.

Bill

The Model S is going to come with their mobile connector (EVSE), they recommend you install a 14-50 outlet on a 50A breaker, it also comes with a 120V adapter for their EVSE as well.

You can build a 14-50 to 6-20 adapter (assuming that's what your quick240 is using), and then on the touch screen you can override the charging current to a lower level, such as 12A or 16A. The car will remember that setting based on its GPS location, so it will remember your setting.

With that said, if you are going to own 2 EVs, you should consider installing more power in your parking area, or perhaps moving?

The 1st link is to the mobile connector (EVSE) and the 2nd link is to their HPC2 for the Model S, it comes with the mobile connector and 2 adapters (1 240 of your choice and the 120V as well)

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/mobileconnector_1450_summarysheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/highpowerwallconnector_summarysheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tbleakne said:
...I inspected the charge port on a Model-S in a Tesla showroom, and I agree the pins look small. 90 kW super-charge at 400V would require 225A...?

I think they said that they are using a lot of "tricks" to use the smallest possible pins and still carry those high currents.
One quote I heard a few times "we made it as small as physics allows."
The socket is silver coated. It has a swirled texture that basically scrapes the pins and sockets to insure multiple contact points.
Stuff like that.

ebill3 said:
I understand that with the supplied cord, you can plug a model S directly into a 120 or 240 outlet, but how does the car know what current is available. It appears that when using 120 volts, the car will draw 12 Amps. Does that mean that if you plug into 240 volts, the car assumes 40 Amps are available? If so, then of course my quick 240 is of no use that way.
With the Roadster, you program the car with the max amount of current you want to pull. I assume the Model S will be the same. I should have interrogated the 17" screen in more detail when I had the chance.

drees said:
ebill3 said:
With the Roadster, you program the car with the max amount of current you want to pull. I assume the Model S will be the same. I should have interrogated the 17" screen in more detail when I had the chance.
At the Tesla showroom the sales representative showed me how you can use the touch screen to program the current drawn by the Model S charger in steps of 1 Amp.

Quick 220 can deliver 2.9-3.8 kW depending upon whether your 120V outlets have 15A or 20A breakers. With even the smallest 40 kWh Model S battery, assuming 90% charger efficiency (higher than LEAF's), you would need 11-15 hours to fully charge. For such an expensive car, charging that slow would be frustrating for me, but I realize in most cases 8 hours overnight would be sufficient.

One limitation with the 40 kWh battery is you are never going to be able to use either a Quick Charger or a Super Charger.

Same difference. It was not in place when the Roadster was being designed...

mitch672 said:
TomT said:
Remember that J1772 didn't even exist when the Roadster came out...
The extensions where defined in committee to the 2001 standard, Tesla engineers where on the committee, it's just things where moving too slowly for defining the physical connector for the 2008 launch of the Roadster, so they used their own connector but followed the protocol extensions for higher currents, that they lobbied for.

I think all of the various Tesla mobile adapters have a plug end detect function so when you use (for instance) a NEMA14-50 end it can default to 40A charging, and if you use a NEMA 10-30 it could select 24A. You can use the touch-screen inside the car to adjust the amperage if the default rate is not what you want. Also, as was said, they seem to have a provision for the car to remember what rate to charge at different locations based on GPS coordinates. This I recall from Roadster, but I assume Model S does similar things.

LEAF hasn't needed that because the existing charger is so low current that any plug you attach will be OK, albeit really slow.

Tesla produces 100th model S 62 days after first delivery of a model S:

http://insideevs.com/tesla-builds-100th-model-s-and-takes-it-to-the-track-0-60-in-4-3-seconds-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a bit of trouble ramping up. Only building 1.5 cars per day so far. Hope things improve.

This story came out before the above.
ABG: Elon Musk: Tesla Motors could be headed to automotive 'graveyard' if Model S production challenge not met :
http://green.autoblog.com/2012/08/14/elon-musk-tesla-motors-automotive-graveyard-model-s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if Musk really means it, if it's a way rallying the troops or something else...

2012 Tesla Model S Test and Range Verification: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1208_2012_tesla_model_s_test_and_range_verification/viewall.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saw my second Model S this morning, this one as beautiful white one on the 237....no stickers yet, so passed in the carpool lane.....

mkjayakumar said:
Where? In Belgium ?

If only the location field was mandatory...
I'm guessing Ready2plugin is in the southern part of the SF Bay Area due to the SF Giants avatar mention of 237 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and carpool lane stickers (EVs are eligible for white HOV stickers in CA).

But yes, if only the field were mandatory. It seems our wishes being ignored by the moderators/admins.

cwerdna said:
I'm guessing Ready2plugin is in the southern part of the SF Bay Area due to the SF Giants avatar mention of 237 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and carpool lane stickers (EVs are eligible for white HOV stickers in CA).

Ready2plugin said:
Click to open

surfingslovak said:
cwerdna said:

Ready2plugin said:
Click to open

Thanks for the legwork. Glad I didn't have to do it... if only it were mandatory... hey look a dead horse. I think I shall beat it with this stick.

grommet said:
2012 Tesla Model S Test and Range Verification: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1208_2012_tesla_model_s_test_and_range_verification/viewall.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great article. The graph is particularly interesting visual.

Somebody help me parse this:
And were we to have measured those 0-60 mph times from the first twitch of accelerator movement instead of after the standard 1-foot roll-out, the Model S would be already off and away while the gas cars were still reacting to their suddenly opened throttles. It's a startlingly instant shove into the seatback. Measured by our classical methods, the Model S P85 is now the fastest American sedan, and close to the fastest anywhere. And in the real-jousting that sometimes erupts on highways (you know what I'm talking about), it's probably the quickest.
What is a 1-foot roll out?

And what's this about an "extended range charge"? Is that an option to overstuff the battery beyond what is healthy for the battery on a daily basis? I have wondered if the Leaf could have an option to charge to 110% or 120% of what they currently call 100% for occasional longer trips, maybe with some caveats like you have to start driving within one hour of it finishing charging, and you can't do it too often, or if you live in Arizona.

The "1-ft. roll-out" is a drag-strip thing. You subtract the time is takes the car to move 1 ft at launch. Personally, I don't think it should ever be used for 0-60 testing... but some folks do.

"Range Mode" is somewhat the equivalent of the LEAF 100% charge. Tesla used the same convention on the Roadster.

Back