Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkjayakumar said:
I too find myself spending more time reading through the Tesla forum, more than this forum. And one reason for that is the amazing 'Tapatalk' App which makes it so much more easier and elegant to quickly browse and read through topics and replies. I simply cannot fathom why the mods of this forum refuse to use one of those apps. I am guessing the Advts are more visible through the standard browser interface than when reading throug the Apps, and the sponsors would prefer we wade through the pages slowly and clumsily so as to get more eye ball time.

You should consider donating the funds for the Admins to purchase the Tapatalk license, I understand its several thousand $$. So there is no ads in Tapatalk?.. how would MNL make any money?

Herm said:
You should consider donating the funds for the Admins to purchase the Tapatalk license, I understand its several thousand $$. So there is no ads in Tapatalk?.. how would MNL make any money?
It's free. The license fees only apply if you want a branded version of Tapatalk to offer to your users. There would then be an MNL or MyElectricCarForums app that could be offered free or sold. It could also serve as an ad revenue source.

For the free version (to the forum, not to the user), no revenue would go to MNL. You're expected to be happy with the "added interest" Tapatalk might bring to your forum. :roll: Anyway, the admins have made their position clear. I see no point to people continuing to beat it to death and hijacking threads.

Herm said:

I am one of the paid forum members. If cost is the main issue keeping this user friendly tool from getting implemented, then the mods can make that known and maybe there will be many willing to pitch in. I know I would.

I do most of my surfing on an iPad or iPhone, and it is like night and day difference between the standard browser and through the App.

I will take this discussion further at the appropriate thread.

The long-hinted Tesla SuperCharger for the Model S and Model X, will be unveiled on Sept 24 according to an Elon Musk tweet promising it will be like "alien spaceships landed at highway rest stops."...

http://www.torquenews.com/1075/will-teslas-supercharger-network-resemble-aliens-landing-rest-stop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't say where, or if there will be any charging by other BEVs allowed .

You'd think they might put L2s at the same sites, for all the QC incapable Ss and Tesla-converted Toyotas that can't use the Superchargers.

edatoakrun said:
The long-hinted Tesla SuperCharger for the Model S and Model X, will be unveiled on Sept 24 according to an Elon Musk tweet promising it will be like "alien spaceships landed at highway rest stops."...

http://www.torquenews.com/1075/will-teslas-supercharger-network-resemble-aliens-landing-rest-stop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'd think they might put L2s at the same sites, for all the QC incapable Ss and Tesla-converted Toyotas that can't use the Superchargers.
They've previously said Harris Ranch would be first, and to allow the 60kWh version to do SF-LA they'll need others around Santa Nella and the Junction of I-5 and 99. My guess is at Starbuck's/McDonalds in Santa Nella Village, and Starbucks/In-N-Out at Wheeler Ridge/Laval Road (Exit 219).

GRA said:
edatoakrun said:

They've previously said Harris Ranch would be first, and to allow the 60kWh version to do SF-LA they'll need others around Santa Nella and the Junction of I-5 and 99. My guess is at Starbuck's/McDonalds in Santa Nella Village, and Starbucks/In-N-Out at Wheeler Ridge/Laval Road (Exit 219).

If they put one in at Santa Nella, I'm trading in the Leaf and Prius for an S. I commute to Santa Nella and Volta at least once a week in my Prius which is almost worn out at 200k miles. I'd love to be able to make the drive electric. The McD Starbucks lot would be perfect for me as I could then head out Henry Miller to Volta. 107 miles each way would be perfect for the 60kWh pack. Not sure if I want to spring for another $10k for the 85kWh pack.

I saw a Red Model S today at the Green Car Expo in Richmond. Gorgeous. So much better than the Beta version I sat in last year. All around a stunning car.

I also saw and drove the Rav4 EV. Awsome car, amazing engineering feet and a job really well done. It was more comfortable to sit in than the leaf. A powerful roomy electric SUV. Wish it had fast charging.

Combined with the solar fast chargers coming out and the Toyota - Tesla - Diamler partnernerships, Tesla is on a role, they are a game changer.

edatoakrun said:

My guess is they will have L2 too, but it will probably be in the form of their own HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) which can deliver 19.2kW (80A). The HPWC has the Tesla v2 connector attached and so only fits the Model S.

The HPWC would be used by someone if the SuperCharger was occupied, or to charge from 80% to 100% if a full charge is needed. Also it is very usable to the 40kWh cars, which can't use the SuperCharger.

jkirkebo said:
edatoakrun said:

My guess is they will have L2 too, but it will probably be in the form of their own HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) which can deliver 19.2kW (80A). The HPWC has the Tesla v2 connector attached and so only fits the Model S.

The HPWC would be used by someone if the SuperCharger was occupied, or to charge from 80% to 100% if a full charge is needed. Also it is very usable to the 40kWh cars, which can't use the SuperCharger.

i thought "regular" S's could only do 10 KW?

What does that mean they are cranking out 100 vehicle bodies a week? Are they stacking them up somewhere awaiting components or other issues to complete them?

LTLFTcomposite said:
What does that mean they are cranking out 100 vehicle bodies a week? Are they stacking them up somewhere awaiting components or other issues to complete them?

Probably, they wind their own motors and assemble the ~8,000 cells into a pack as well, some of it has to be automated, but I'm sure people are involved in some of the steps.

The super charger is really good news for this guy. I've made the model S deposit, but charging was going to be a problem. I rent an apartment and currently charge my LEAF at L2 - 12 Amps with a home brew quick 240 volt. No chance of doing any better, unless I relocate which is not a viable option.

BUT, if Tesla sites a Super Charger along the I5 corridor in the Olympia-Tacoma-Seattle WA vicinity, I'm golden. I am retired, so once a week or so during slack traffic time, hop on over to I5 for lunch and fill up for free. Doesn't get much better. ;)

it really is a beautiful thing, the thought of going days, sometimes weeks and hundreds of miles without charging really will be bliss!!

ebill3 said:
The super charger is really good news for this guy. I've made the model S deposit, but charging was going to be a problem. I rent an apartment and currently charge my LEAF at L2 - 12 Amps with a home brew quick 240 volt. No chance of doing any better, unless I relocate which is not a viable option.

BUT, if Tesla sites a Super Charger along the I5 corridor in the Olympia-Tacoma-Seattle WA vicinity, I'm golden. I am retired, so once a week or so during slack traffic time, hop on over to I5 for lunch and fill up for free. Doesn't get much better. ;)

I watched live presentation on Super-Charger network Mon evening. Very sexy styling. No new technical data, but Musk showed video of Model-Ss Super-charging at 4 locations in CA. In addition to Harris Ranch, there is or will be Super-Chargers at Tejon Ranch, Folsom, Barstow, etc. He also showed fantasy map blanketing US with stations. He touted the solar power, but made no mention of demand charges for charging after dark. Not the customer's concern, because he said all charging would be free.

Today, Wednesday, LA Times has piece "Tesla facing Model S production delays"
http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-auto-tesla-stock-offering-20120925,0,7770054.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Production numbers similar, not identical, to numbers in report posted above.
255 Model-S built as of this week
77 new weekly production rate
400 per week production goal

First 6 Super-Charger stations in:
Folsom (E of Sacramento), Gilroy (S. of San Jose), Coalinga (Harris Ranch), Lebec (Tejon Ranch), Barstow, Hawthorne

They are running low on cash, having spent all the gov loan, but they are planning a new stock offering which could raise $140M at current price.

ebill3 said:

no real details yet but if the map is realistic then I think you will find your hop options to be very unrealistic if you dont have a reason to go.

there appears to only be two in WA one looks to be located in Centrailia which would kinda suck because Tesla already has one directly across the street from the Centrailia DCFC at Burgerville

and the other appears to be way north of Seattle probably around the Everett/Marysville area. obviously set for those making long trips. just driving back and forth would blow more than half your range.

but that is the "2 year" network. expansion should give you a better option but how long would you have to wait for that?

I was at the event and spoke to a few of the Tesla folks...

My take on the Supercharger news is that these are being put in and thought of as a sunk cost to lure new buyers to the table or make existing buyers feel better about their Model S purchase. By having the SuperCharger network in place, Tesla can leverage that feature and tout that the Model S is nearly identical to a longer range gasoline vehicle. Making it "free, forever" is just icing on the cake.

Elon said it would cost $20-30M to build out the network nationwide. Just the positive press / media coverage and owner good will alone are probably worth that much in publicity. Probably gives better results than expensive TV ads, and the results are visible for a lot longer with real field assets for customers to use.

As far as other people asking about plugging in their LEAF to a Supercharging station....I would think the last thing Tesla wants is for a Model S owner on a trip to pull up and have to wait to use the station because of a competitor's car charging up or a few cars waiting....So I really don't see that happening... Their calculations about the soloar system contributions to the grid are based on a certain estimate of use (which is probably a pretty low number, if I were to guess)

It needs to be simple, convenient, and fast for the drivers. The fact that it will be free is genius...No billing system required, no extra complexity, no fobs to issue and manage.

Buy the car, get the charging...I like it....

No love... cancellations, delays, financing issues, blah blah blah
http://seekingalpha.com/article/889881-tesla-the-next-government-financed-alternative-energy-debacle?source=yahoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/tesla-faces-prod-delays-loan-may-need-amending-ptrieK_zS1SwCsP3zu6n_w.html?cmpid=yhoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OTOH, front page article in the S.J. Mercury News yesterday, and the front page of the S.F Chronicle Business section today, covering the QC announcement:

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Tesla-adds-network-of-stations-for-recharging-3894150.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back