Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
waidy said:
I am embarrassed. I didn't read the manuals. I noticed it when I was driving my Model S.
Interesting ... this is the first time I've read about this feature.
Yes, interesting, but I'm not sure what the feature is.

Is it a side illumination light similar to what some cars, Lincoln for one, had?

@ebill3, perhaps you should do a test drive at night. I live in the hills. There is no street night. I really appreciate the light feature.

I finally did a test drive. It's was a nice 50 mins behind the wheel in a grey 85kWh Performance model at the newly opened Topanga Cyn store. They have a nice driving circuit if you're in SoCal. I scheduled a time when there was little traffic.
Love the one-pedal driving with regen. Not nearly as strong as the Mini-E but strong enough.
Noticed an inverter-ish hum/buzz when I accelerated briskly. Tesla rep said it was a "feature" of the Performance version.
Didn't notice it after a minute of driving. Car was very smooth and very quiet. Handled uneven pavement around corners like a Jag. Of course, push the pedal and you're on Superman-the-Ride. Passed a Maserati and Panamera; Mas-guy passed me and gave thumbs-up.

Returned after 10 mi jaunt with lust in my heart.

Perf is beyond enough juice for me.

Now thinking of the non-Perf, 60kWh with the Supercharger access. Not sure I need the air-suspension either but mulling.
I dropped the 85kWh option when I penciled out the total $. Even with credits, $25k down and such cheap money these days I couldn't see myself writing a check for $95k next July.

Tesla store had very good traffic for a Wednesday. Couples, families, lots of questions and they knew nothing about EVs. I suspect the Motor Trend award helped attract the lux-buyer who doesn't really know an inverter from an icicle.
I think/hope this bodes well for Tesla. They're quickly getting beyond the early adopter group. They might need a lease option sooner than next summer. I believe some of these buyers are just used to that option.
Right now they are selling all they can build though.
It's definitely a different environment than the Nissan dealer. Knowledgeable reps. They don't sell cars there so, no pressure, no inane car-sales doofus-ness. I hope this approach is sustainable.

Lucky for you, sparky - the EPA just rated the 60 kWh Model S. 95 MPGe with a 208 mile (335 km) range :)

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1080960_tesla-model-s-60-kwh-version-epa-range-rated-at-208-miles?utm_source=GreenCarReports&utm_medium=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bet the 85kWh car was tested with the 21" wheels and the 60kWh car was tested with the 19" wheels, explaining the difference in efficiency.

The cat is out of the bag for 60 kWh. EPA range tested at 208 miles.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...medium=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How does this all translate to road trips ?:

That means the first leg of your trip you can fill her up with 208 miles of ideal range or around 180 miles of real world range, driving at 70mph on the freeway.

Subsequent legs that would would need supercharging on the road, will get you 170 miles of ideal range or 150 miles of real world range . Given that some superchargers are spaced at 200 miles apart, this could be a problem sometimes.

In any case 200+ miles of EPA rate for 60 kWh is pretty impressive. Which makes me wonder if the 40 kWh would get close to 150 miles. Compared to Leaf, you pay twice the price of a Leaf to get twice the range.

I found this data from TMC forum and put in a spreadsheet for easy preview. This is on a 85kWh model.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11590-900-mile-Supercharger-road-trip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 78
drees said:
I bet the 85kWh car was tested with the 21" wheels and the 60kWh car was tested with the 19" wheels, explaining the difference in efficiency.
You could be very right. I guess we will know when Tesla releases the weight of the 60kwh car.

qwk said:
drees said:
You could be very right. I guess we will know when Tesla releases the weight of the 60kwh car.
The 60 kWh pack weight is supposed to be very nearly the same as the 85 kWh pack - the 85 kWh pack uses cells with higher energy density.

Wow, looking at the data on the EPA site, the 60 kWh Model S is rated an impressive 97 MPGe on the highway - that's better than the LEAF.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/evsbs.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now if Tesla could get the weight down, they'd get some good city efficiency numbers, too. The 40 kWh Model S should get the same highway efficiency as the 40 kWh car but with the reduced weight due to smaller pack size, hopefully it will post better city numbers. Of course, they might reduce peak regeneration power accordingly (to make life easier on the smaller pack) negating the difference...

drees said:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/evsbs.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...Now if Tesla could get the weight down, they'd get some good city efficiency numbers, too....

I can't see how the heavy weight alone causes the S to get such low "city" efficiency results, as compared with every other tested EV. I would think that at higher "highway" speeds, the benefits (even for a relatively low-drag BEV like the S) of lower wind resistance, would more than outweigh the weight penalty imposed in "city" lower-speed stop-and-go driving.

From my limited observations, even when loaded to near-S weight with passengers and/or cargo, a LEAF in "city" driving conditions, still very significantly exceeds the highway-speed "mpge", when loaded to the same weight.

Why do both the Ss rate so low in the "city" test, relative to highway?

drees said:
qwk said:
drees said:
The 60 kWh pack weight is supposed to be very nearly the same as the 85 kWh pack - the 85 kWh pack uses cells with higher energy density.
The problem with this assumption is that information is a few years old, and lately Tesla has touted that all of the packs use "automotive grade" cells. The likelyhood of Panasonic producing more than one automotive grade cell, designed in cooperation with Tesla is not likely.

qwk said:
lately Tesla has touted that all of the packs use "automotive grade" cells. The likelyhood of Panasonic producing more than one automotive grade cell, designed in cooperation with Tesla is not likely.

Probably means that Panasonic's high quality cells already meet automotive standards.

mkjayakumar said:
In any case 200+ miles of EPA rate for 60 kWh is pretty impressive. Which makes me wonder if the 40 kWh would get close to 150 miles. Compared to Leaf, you pay twice the price of a Leaf to get twice the range.

That would be too much of a difference (3.47 vs 3.75 m/kWh). I think it will be closer to 140 miles. May be a couple of miles more.

being someone who is hours from signing paperwork, it would be very nice to have a complete handle on an apples to apples comparison showing the differences in MPGe of the 60kW vs P85kW and the non-P 85kW. do we not have an MPGe for the non Performance 85kW S? a Bellevue rep did mention the reduced efficiency of the 21"s when I was going over pros and cons yesterday and it does seem plausible as the cause for at least some of the difference. hmmm, not sure it really matters to us that much, but the idea that the 60 kW could be that much more efficient narrows the temptation gap between the 60 and 85. it would make sense that the MPGE would be less as you go up in weight, but if the cars are weighted to be about the same, I don't see why there would be much if any difference, except perhaps the greater 0-60 time increases the likelihood of driving with a "heavier foot", but if these tests truly adhere to a strick comparison of driving exactly the same way you shouldn't see much difference.

qwk said:
drees said:

TonyWilliams said:
You'll never regret having "too much" battery!!

What happens when 120kWh comes out with Model X ? Go big or go home :mrgreen:
Ditto, as long as you have 80Amp charging station at home. You get me thinking of getting one ...

waidy said:
TonyWilliams said:
You'll never regret having "too much" battery!!

What happens when 120kWh comes out with Model X ? Go big or go home :mrgreen:
Ditto, as long as you have 80Amp charging station at home. You get me thinking of getting one ...

You can now build your own for about $600, I did :)
http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/75AOpenEVSE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the few Tesla Model S in MA stopping by on Sunday, equiped w/dual chargers to test with it :)

mitch672 said:
You can now build your own for about $600, I did :)
http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/75AOpenEVSE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the few Tesla Model S in MA stopping by on Sunday, equiped w/dual chargers to test with it :)
Did it work? I plan to use it on my Model S.

Back