Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ebill3 said:
Well, it is not the 0-60 time that concerns me, it is the top speed of 130 vs. 125. :lol:

I also will skip the performance model, but the test drive in the performance model was impressive. Anyway, I don't want 21" wheels. ;)

Bill

Other than taking your Model S to a track, where can you even test out the 125 versus 130 MPH top speed, and why would it matter to you, it's not like the speed limit is 115Mph, and you are suffering because you could only take your poor Model S up to 125MPH :)

IIRC, the performance model also comes with the 21" wheels and the active air suspension standard. That right there could account for $5,000 if purchased separately. So you're not really paying TOO much more for the beefier inverter/motor.

GeekEV said:
IIRC, the performance model also comes with the 21" wheels and the active air suspension standard. That right there could account for $5,000 if purchased separately. So you're not really paying TOO much more for the beefier inverter/motor.

Unless you don't want 21" wheels (as in my case, living in the land of potholes), I did get the active air suspension, but that's $1,500 not $8,000. I am still at over $95,000 with MA %6.25 sales tax, go back a few pages, my invoice is posted.

mitch672 said:
ebill3 said:
Well, it is not the 0-60 time that concerns me, it is the top speed of 130 vs. 125. :lol:

I also will skip the performance model, but the test drive in the performance model was impressive. Anyway, I don't want 21" wheels. ;)

Bill

Other than taking your Model S to a track, where can you even test out the 125 versus 130 MPH top speed, and why would it matter to you, it's not like the speed limit is 115Mph, and you are suffering because you could only take your poor Model S up to 125MPH :)
Well sorry, I thought folks would understand I was speaking in jest. Us octogenarians have no business driving over 60 mph, and that might be pushing it for some. ;)

Bill

GeekEV said:
The way I figure it, if you configure a model S with the options that come standard with the performance (leather, air suspension, 21"wheels and performance tires), the performance costs $8,500 more. So, the enhanced inverter and whatever will cost a person $8,500.

But, enough of all the theorizing. Just moments ago received the "Time to configure" email from Tesla. Have until January 8 to finalize to avoid the price increase. I guess it is time to "Fish or cut bait". I'll have that order in within days, not weeks.

Bill

MikeD said:
LEAFfan: I'm curious from your knowledge of range optimization what you think your maximum range could be using a new 2011 fully charged Leaf driving on a large absolutely flat (except maybe optimally banked) oval test track on a windless day with no traffic (so no drafting)?

Second question is do you have a recommendation as to how we EV drivers should respond when asked about what range our EV gets?

First of all, I would have to start with a full capacity pack and then I probably wouldn't do maximum range because it would be very difficult for me to hold the speed with just my foot and leg. But if someone else drove it, they could get close to 200 miles. If I were to drive it, I would set the CC to 24mph, and I still could go over 180 miles

I get asked that question often. I always tell them that it all depends on how you drive and the conditions like weather, elevations, use of HVAC, tire pressure, a full capacity pack, etc. Some drivers avoid freeways, so I tell them that on a 100% charge, it isn't that difficult to go 100 miles (with a few hypermiling techniques). If they use the freeways and drive 65mph, they can expect around 80-85, again, depending on the conditions.

ebill3 said:
Being this is a Tesla Model S thread, I have a question.
What is the difference mechanically or electrical between an 85 kWh Model S and a performance Model S?
I understand it is primarily a more robust inverter. Anyone know?

Bill
On the Model-S (and Rav4 EV) the inverter is integrated into the motor, so there is no separate piece. There is only Bat +/- and low-voltage control lines going into the transaxle. So any changes to the inverter would be internal to the whole assembly.

-Phil

ebill3 said:
GeekEV said:
The way I figure it, if you configure a model S with the options that come standard with the performance (leather, air suspension, 21"wheels and performance tires), the performance costs $8,500 more. So, the enhanced inverter and whatever will cost a person $8,500.
You're right... My bad. :oops:

Done. 85 kWh, tech package, air suspension, leather, dual chargers. February/March delivery. The dual chargers are probably overkill as charging at my rental apartment is going to be a challenge, but things change. I did not get the DC QC port on the LEAF, and now rue that decision to save $700.

Ingineer said:
ebill3 said:
Being this is a Tesla Model S thread, I have a question.
What is the difference mechanically or electrical between an 85 kWh Model S and a performance Model S?
I understand it is primarily a more robust inverter. Anyone know?

Bill
On the Model-S (and Rav4 EV) the inverter is integrated into the motor, so there is no separate piece. There is only Bat +/- and low-voltage control lines going into the transaxle. So any changes to the inverter would be internal to the whole assembly.

-Phil
I wonder if the battery lines differ in diameter between the different pack cars? This should be relatively easy to compare since there are both rav4 ev's with the smallest pack, and 85kwh model s cars on the road now.

qwk said:
I wonder if the battery lines differ in diameter between the different pack cars? This should be relatively easy to compare since there are both rav4 ev's with the smallest pack, and 85kwh model s cars on the road now.

Not without serious disassembly. The Model S inverter and motor are basically housed together, just behind the battery pack, there not much cable to measure, and I don't think it will be easy to get to or measure the wire diameter on the Model S.

Take a look at the picture below, inverter is on the left, motor on the right.
This is on a Model S without the body (in the Natick, MA mall store)

null-5.jpg

mitch672 said:
qwk said:

Not without serious disassembly. The Model S inverter and motor are basically housed together, just behind the battery pack, there not much cable to measure, and I don't think it will be easy to get to or measure the wire diameter on the Model S.

Take a look at the picture below, inverter is on the left, motor on the right.
This is on a Model S without the body (in the Natick, MA mall store)
QWK asked for a comparison of battery cable size, not inverter to motor cable size. That display chassis is missing the battery wiring that should come off the top of the left side of that transaxle, As you can see on the Rav's side view:
pic

But it should be possible to see this relatively easily on an assembled S.

And in addition, you can actually (sort of) see the 3 inverter to motor connections:
pic

-Phil

I thought the Model S had liquid cooling for both the motor and the inverter, but I am not seeing the lines for that in these pictures. Can someone please point them out to me? (It couldn't be the small metal lines that look like brake lines, could it?)

RegGuheert said:
I thought the Model S had liquid cooling for both the motor and the inverter, but I am not seeing the lines for that in these pictures. Can someone please point them out to me? (It couldn't be the small metal lines that look like brake lines, could it?)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 167
in Ingineers photo above, do you see the line running from the bearing in front of the motor on the left to the drive shaft area? i thought that was the line?

Nubo said:
RegGuheert said:
file.php
DaveinOlyWA said:
in Ingineers photo above, do you see the line running from the bearing in front of the motor on the left to the drive shaft area? i thought that was the line?
Thanks, guys!

I think you are pointing to the same place. Those two lines look a little different, but the one in Ingineer's photo that Dave is referencing looks pretty small for cooling to me. (I'm not questioning you. I am just surprised!) Perhaps the other one is the same size, but it has insulation over it?

Back