PLEASE LET US ORDER NOW NISSAN ALL ACROSS THE U. S. A.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I suspect that there are a number of people who would prefer a Leaf but are in areas where they can not yet order one and don't know when they will be able to. They might now say, "The heck with it, I can get a Volt here now. It's my second choice but I'm tired of waiting and that is what I am going to do and stop waiting for the Leaf." So, yes, it might make a difference... Remember that not everyone is rabid about absolutely no gas... They might prefer it but it is not disqualifying to them.

jimcmorr said:
kmp647 said:
the volt is now available in all 50 states.
this should put the heat on for a Leaf 50 state release!

I don't agree. A person wanting a vehicle that does not use gasoline will not be interested in the Volt. And I think Nissan knows this. The markets are quite different in my opinion.

mogur said:
So, yes, it might make a difference... Remember that not everyone is rabid about absolutely no gas... They might prefer it but it is not disqualifying to them.

Rabid as I am? :D

You are correct of course, some are not willing to wait for a 100% electric vehicle when a plug-in hybrid is currently available.

For me... I paid $50 to fill my 2001 VW Passat today. While the pump was running I felt like I should bend over... I anxiously await the day when I don't have to buy gasoline at all!

Clearly, I voted for the Leaf. But if the Volt had had a 70 mile electric range at the same price as the current Volt, and qualified for the same rebates/incentives, the equation might have shifted and I might be driving that now instead... As it was, at 30-35 miles and it's price point, it simply did not work for me.

jimcmorr said:
For me... I paid $50 to fill my 2001 VW Passat today. While the pump was running I felt like I should bend over... I anxiously await the day when I don't have to buy gasoline at all!

where I work right now there are 2 available Volts...... 500 ft from where I am sitting

But I really want a Leaf.... a volt would be a good replacment for our Camry hybrid, but its $44,000 . I only paid $16500 for my used 09 TCH. 40.5 mpg and it gets my wife down I66 during rush hour.

I drove the Volt recently , though it was on gas at the time, liked it , but I think I cant buy both, that would be fiscally unwise.

My problem with the Volt was that 40 or less miles per charge would not allow us to drive without using gas on every trip into town. The other reason is that when you are on the battery you are carting around several hundred pounds of ICE. When you are driving on the ICE, you are carting around a few hundred pounds of battery. With all the attendant ICE maintenance, you end up with twice the complexity and pay more for it.

well the clock has kept turning over and Nissan has finally contacted me to order my nissan leaf in North Carolina and I have clicked the button and said NO!!! Like many other retired Americans I contributed to efforts to help the Japanese people during the disaster of March and since during their brave and courageous efforts to recover from the mass destruction in Japan. How did Nissan thank us for our efforts to help them at their time of national need? THEY RAISED THEIR PRICES!
NISSAN HAS PRICED ME OUT OF THE MARKET. I just cannot see the value of the 2012 model at the higher cost figures. Not for a car with a hundred mile range. There is no infrastructure here in N. C. at all for charging the car right now, except at home chargers. When you combine the price increase with the simple fact of life that most retired folks like me do not qualify for the full 7500 cash back savings because of our tax bracket, it has simply meant we have to ask a tough question. IS THE CAR WORTH IT? I decided it is not worth it for me. These are tough and uncertain times for me as a retired person and my savings must be carefully handled. There is not going to be any more money for me! I have decided the Toyota Prius is a far, far better choice for me than the Nissan Leaf at the 2012 Leaf price increase level. Perhaps, if the government changed the 7500 cash back deal to include everyone and made it an off the top dealer discount I would perhaps try to reconsider. I do not drive a lot of miles and the fact is I can drive my old junkers a long way at current gas prices..........for what a new Leaf costs. NIssan you made a mistake raising prices in my opinion. YOu should have stuck to the old 2011 car price is my opinion. And a lot of folks in my community agree with me. It is going to be interesting to see who buys them here in N. C. if anyone does. They are sitting on lots here now and no one is buying them!!!!!!!! So TOPCAT LEAF NOW CLOSES OUT MY FORUM BY SAYING NO TO THE NISSAN OFFER TO ORDER ...............AT THE NEW PRICE NISSAN!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

My understanding is that the SL model now comes with the QC port. We did not get that option because it raised the price on the 2011 model. I believe that the cold weather enhancements now come with the car as well, so I can understand why there was a price increase.

In our situation, we have 401k money for retirement that is taxable when it is withdrawn, so we can take advantage of renewable energy tax credits. However, we decided to lease the LEAF. With about $200 per month in gas savings, plus no depreciation to worry about, the car just about pays for itself on a 39 month lease. Also, by leasing the car, the dealer gets the $7,500 tax credit and folds that into the lease to lower the monthly payment. Thus, you don't need taxable income to get the tax credit.

Sorry it didn't work out for you TOPCATLEAF, but we have nearly 6,000 miles on our LEAF and love it.

TOPCATLEAF, it would be fiscally prudent for you to just get a used 2 year old Camry.. a very economical and reliable car. Made in the USA..Try not to drive too much, and this will be easy for you since you dont have a daily work commute.

Nissan raised their prices, but lately the Yen has been taking a beating against the Dollar, remember when it was 125Y = $1 ?.. its now 75.6Y per $1

This was posted about a month ago...but I will throw it out there again....

Tier 1 (7)
Arizona, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington

Tier 2 - July
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.

Tier 3 - ‘fall 2011’
Connecticut, Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York

Tier 4 - ‘end of year’
Delaware, Indiana, Louisiana, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island

Others (AKA - the forgotten 22). Summer 2012?
Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

:lol: so NISSAN IT IS ALL OVER FOR TOPCATLEAF IN NORTH CAROLINA! YOU RAISED THE PRICE. YOU CONTACTED ME TO ORDER AND I SAID NO. NISSAN A LOT OF FOLKS HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA CONTRIBUTED TO TSUNAMI RELIEF EFFORTS TO HELP JAPAN IN THEIR HOUR OF NEED. HOW DID YOU SAY THANKS. ??? HOW DID YOU THANK US FOR OUR HUMANITARIAN CONCERNS. YOU RAISED THE PRICE. HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA WE DID NOT HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO ORDER THE LEAF AT 2011 PRICES. SO GOODBYE NISSAN. IT WAS ALL WASTED HYPE ON US!!!!! :evil: :twisted:

TOPCATLEAF you might wait for the Ford Focus EV that is supposed to come out later this year. At least you'll be able to get in on the ground floor because they won't have had a chance to raise the price yet. Also, my understanding is that the Chevy Volt may actually have had its price lowered slightly since its introduction. It will cost you more than a LEAF but at least you won't feel betrayed.

ERG4ALL said:
Also, my understanding is that the Chevy Volt may actually have had its price lowered slightly since its introduction. It will cost you more than a LEAF but at least you won't feel betrayed.
I heard it's going to be at $40K instead of $41K. That's only a 2.5% price reduction. Still going to be quite out of the price range of a lot of people, even after a $7.5K tax credit.

so NISSAN IT IS ALL OVER FOR TOPCATLEAF IN NORTH CAROLINA! YOU RAISED THE PRICE. YOU CONTACTED ME TO ORDER AND I SAID NO. NISSAN A LOT OF FOLKS HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA CONTRIBUTED TO TSUNAMI RELIEF EFFORTS TO HELP JAPAN IN THEIR HOUR OF NEED. HOW DID YOU SAY THANKS. ??? HOW DID YOU THANK US FOR OUR HUMANITARIAN CONCERNS. YOU RAISED THE PRICE. HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA WE DID NOT HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO ORDER THE LEAF AT 2011 PRICES. SO GOODBYE NISSAN. IT WAS ALL WASTED HYPE ON US!!!!!

I'm sure this price was set long before the earthquake struck.

The LEAF is a great car. I've really enjoyed driving the Hertz rental LEAF a couple times. However the wait to get my LEAF is far worse than I expected when I reserved last year. I can certainly understand the view of those who are giving up. I'd probably be among them if not for my chance to drive the rental LEAF for more than a few minutes. Nissan is clearly way behind where they originally expected to be on production, which is what is causing the problem. I guess it has been taking them a lot longer than expected to get production ramped up.

TOPCATLEAF said:
:lol: so NISSAN IT IS ALL OVER FOR TOPCATLEAF IN NORTH CAROLINA! YOU RAISED THE PRICE. YOU CONTACTED ME TO ORDER AND I SAID NO. NISSAN A LOT OF FOLKS HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA CONTRIBUTED TO TSUNAMI RELIEF EFFORTS TO HELP JAPAN IN THEIR HOUR OF NEED. HOW DID YOU SAY THANKS. ??? HOW DID YOU THANK US FOR OUR HUMANITARIAN CONCERNS. YOU RAISED THE PRICE. HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA WE DID NOT HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO ORDER THE LEAF AT 2011 PRICES. SO GOODBYE NISSAN. IT WAS ALL WASTED HYPE ON US!!!!! :evil: :twisted:
Quite the act of charity expecting to get a kickback in return. Car prices often go up with a new model year, even without natural disasters and a weaker Yen. The LEAF is probably a money loser for Nissan at this point, I doubt they had any choice in the matter. When you add in the extra features the new model comes with it's not much of a price increase at all.

TOPCATLEAF said:
Even now, as a retiree, I cannot really take advantage of much of the current $7500 tax credit.

Yes, tax credit expires at the end of the year. You could LEASE a 2011 orphan right now, and have it trucked to your door, which will automatically reflect the tax credit.

About $400/month, plus tax.

Heck, I didn't read all the crazy talk at the end of the post! Wow !!!

Yes, I think you'll survive without any car from that evil Nissan :evil:

TonyWilliams said:
You could LEASE a 2011 orphan right now
Is it really as easy as that? I've started to investigate the "orphan" route, but I haven't found any firm information regarding what I should do or expect... Everyone says it's easy, but how many have done it. I'm not talking about those who physically go to the dealer, but those who do a cross-country deal by phone, email or whatever, and have the car trucked to them.

tps said:
TonyWilliams said:
You could LEASE a 2011 orphan right now
Is it really as easy as that? I've started to investigate the "orphan" route, but I haven't found any firm information regarding what I should do or expect... Everyone says it's easy, but how many have done it. I'm not talking about those who physically go to the dealer, but those who do a cross-country deal by phone, email or whatever, and have the car trucked to them.
Many of us had positive experiences buying from Fontana Nissan (Fontana, CA), including one or more forum members who had cars trucked to Arizona. If I were in your shoes, I'd give them a call.

A couple of people mention the Ford Focus later this year, but I need to remind everyone that besides New York, Ford pushed back the focus until spring of 2012. In addition, the price drop for the Volt really wasn't a price drop. Items that were standard become options, so if you were to outfit your 2012 volt compared to the 2011 volt the price is the same (in fact, I think i was slightly higher). Its the airline double standard: lower the price but tack on more fees to cover the reduction (and sometimes charge more!).

Back