Public charger étiquette?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
malloryk said:
Red Leaf license plate 562 unplugged me this morning at a station on Montana Ave. in Santa Monica.
I believe the California 562 plates are the pre-production demo LEAFs which they use at the drive electric events on the 2010-2011 tour. They seem to now be using MY 2011 production cars for the drive electric tour and are using the California 562 cars for publicity events.

That red LEAF may be the one I drove at the Drive Electric event at National Harbor. (Don't know how many red 562 LEAFs Nissan has, but it probably isn't but a very few.)

Its bad to unplug a charging LEAF. What if you we charging to 80%. As I understand it, timer charging will not restart even if the car is plugged back in...

tps said:
As I understand it, timer charging will not restart even if the car is plugged back in...

It depends on how you have your timers set. I set mine for 11AM to 11AM and it always charges to 80% anywhere/anytime unless I override the timer with the switch. It makes no difference whether it's unplugged and then replugged, it will charge up to 80%. It does the same with the QC as far as unplugging and replugging.

LEAFfan said:
tps said:
As I understand it, timer charging will not restart even if the car is plugged back in...

It depends on how you have your timers set. I set mine for 11AM to 11AM and it always charges to 80% anywhere/anytime unless I override the timer with the switch. It makes no difference whether it's unplugged and then replugged, it will charge up to 80%. It does the same with the QC as far as unplugging and replugging.
Yes, but the guy who unplugs you wont know that. He might be unplugging a LEAF on timer override which may refuse to start charging even if it is plugged back in.

tps said:
LEAFfan said:
tps said:

Yes, but the guy who unplugs you wont know that. He might be unplugging a LEAF on timer override which may refuse to start charging even if it is plugged back in.
That's why when you use public charging stations, you don't want leave it to chance and use the timer override in the first place. It takes only a few seconds to turn off your timer. Or set your timer for 24 hours continuous at 80% or 100% like LEAFfan said.

If you absolutely need a charge, are first to the station and plan to vacate right after charge, use a lock! I carry one and have not needed to use it yet. If (when) I find myself in an "absolutely need a charge" situation, I will lock the plug to my car. End of story.

Volusiano said:
That's why when you use public charging stations, you don't want leave it to chance and use the timer override in the first place. It takes only a few seconds to turn off your timer. Or set your timer for 24 hours continuous at 80% or 100% like LEAFfan said.
A firmware update from Nissan might fix this in a couple ways:
1. Stay in timer override mode until the car is started/driven.
2. Add GPS coordinates to each timer so you can set it to only work at home (or where you specify).
Sorry for derailing this thread. I now return you to your normally scheduled program.

TRONZ said:
If you absolutely need a charge, are first to the station and plan to vacate right after charge, use a lock! I carry one and have not needed to use it yet. If (when) I find myself in an "absolutely need a charge" situation, I will lock the plug to my car. End of story.

What does the lock look like and how does it work?

GPowers said:

Several here have said this one works:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T4FL7Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It goes through a hole in the J-plug trigger and won't let it unlatch from the vehicle.

GPowers said:
That is simple. I was envisioning something that encapsulated it. The pad lock is much simpler.
Plus, with a combo lock, you could even give the combo to someone who called you (assuming you have a sharing placard with your number) and let them take the plug.

GPowers said:
TRONZ said:

I have been using a simple TSA approved Numbered luggage lock, which I got for $3 from Fry's.

Let me see if I understand the scenario. You say there are two charging spots reserved for EVs? Are they next to each other? In different locations? More importantly, are there parking spaces NEXT to them?

If the latter, I would kindly ask the parking garage manager to also designate the adjacent spots for EVs so that it is possible to share the EVSE after a vehicle finishes charging. The cord should be long enough to allow this.

It is a simple --and courteous-- thing to leave a note, either on your windshield giving permission for others to unplug you when full, or (conversely) on the other EV's windshield asking the owner to plug you in when finished with the EVSE.

And all this solution requires is a couple more signs and/or some green paint on the asphalt. Everyone's a winner.

Yanquetino said:
... or (conversely) on the other EV's windshield asking the owner to plug you in when finished with the EVSE.

Oh I left a note on his windshield all right. :x But I was on my way out and ended up charging at home for a bit and then car-pooled with a friend up to Valencia because I didn't want to have to worry about public charging in the rain. I'll look into getting a lock. Sad it has to come to that but if people can't share nicely...

malloryk said:
Yanquetino said:
... or (conversely) on the other EV's windshield asking the owner to plug you in when finished with the EVSE.

Oh I left a note on his windshield all right. :x But I was on my way out and ended up charging at home for a bit and then car-pooled with a friend up to Valencia because I didn't want to have to worry about public charging in the rain. I'll look into getting a lock. Sad it has to come to that but if people can't share nicely...

Rain? It never rains here in Socal... :cool:

My building just installed to 2 chargepoint units. All tenants who want to use it have to sign an agreement that among others, limits the use of the spot to 4 hours/day. The building only has valet parking for guests and its a tandem parking building for tenants without reserved spots (this means there are attendants on each floor of the garage that hold your keys if you park behind someone). Supposedly this means the 4 hour limit will be enforced. Today I used it for 2.5 hours and then moved my car, no one was using the other spots.

DarkStar said:
Not to excuse the other driver, but did you use a charger sharing protocol card? The card really helps by removing ambiguity and assumptions. Even just a phone number on the dashboard might have helped.
I've given up asking folks to use the protocol card ... though I use mine regularly. Of course now - GM has used their local governmental lacky to change the laws in California. Soon it'll be a misdemeanor (just like slashing tires) to unplug another car, whether you use a protocol card or not. Thanks GM, for not grasping that plug-in owners can actually be a cooperative community without your medeling, rather than forcing us to be an adversarial group.

Update!

The garage have now posted a 4 hour limit on the charging spots, so now the owner of the black Leaf will have to vacate the spot.

It's good to see that the garage is doing something about it but other other hand it's unfortunate that it had to come to that.

If people could just be courteous and mindful of others we wouldn't need all these rules and stipulations

Viktor

Charging station at a Ralphs in Santa Monica was ICE'd today.... by a City of Santa Monica vehicle. tsk tsk. I can't charge there but older EVs still do.

10dv0jk.jpg

Didn't you know that the rules do not apply to city and government workers. They can do what ever they want as they are more important then the average tax paying citizen.

Back