Question for 2010,2011, and 2012 owners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMYK4Life

I have a question for those who purchased a Leaf in 2010-2012 owners.... (maybe purchase vs lease does not matter here?)

When you took your car in for the 7500 mile service... where you charged? if so how much? did you feel it was reasonable?

I ask because I was looking at the Tesla website... and read that the annual/12,500 mile service fee was $600 and +$100 for a 'ranger' to come out and service the car at your location. What costs $600 on an Tesla EV at 12,500 miles? Arent EV's supposed to need little or no service let alone $600 worth within the first year?

Do we Leafers have a smiliar charge $$?

There is no 7,500 mile service. There's an annual battery check, which the Nissan dealer should provide at no cost for the first two years. Tire rotation can be done just about anywhere, but I had mine done at the dealer at the same time the battery check was done. Cost about $15.

Got the one year battery check done for free, tires were rotated earlier by a tire shop for $20. Just had two year battery check, decided it was time for brake flush and cabin microfilter replacement. Total was just over $140 for those two items, software updates and battery check were free.

There's really only an annual battery check (required and "free"). Now that I just had my P3227 update (and second annual), I can tell you that in 2 years I've spent a total of about $100 on my Leaf @Nissan (for a brake flush). This car is CHEAP to maintain (I did my own cabin filter).

I think I might have read there was a 6 month check-up for those who had an accelerated amount of miles driven in that time frame, since my check-up had been set for 6 months or 7500 miles, which I had them change on my purchase docs to 1 year. I didn't hit 7500 even at a year. I had my 1 year free battery check about a month ago at no charge, but I had to pay for a tire rotation, but using a reward credit, it was about $17. I chose to wait on the cabin filter change. Cheap car to keep!

I think 7500 mi service is only for tire rotation, it does not have to be done at the dealer, that's common to any car with tires, either 7500 or 10000 mi tire rotation.

CMYK4Life said:
What costs $600 on an Tesla EV at 12,500 miles? Arent EV's supposed to need little or no service let alone $600 worth within the first year?

So this becomes the relevant question. Does anyone know what Tesla is doing for that $600?

Boomer23 said:
CMYK4Life said:
What costs $600 on an Tesla EV at 12,500 miles? Arent EV's supposed to need little or no service let alone $600 worth within the first year?

So this becomes the relevant question. Does anyone know what Tesla is doing for that $600?

Bend over.....and I'll give you one guess. :roll:

Boomer23 said:
CMYK4Life said:

Annual Inspection Checklist:

1. Inspect operation of all parts of the car electrically including lights

2. Evacuate and recharge the A/C refrigerant (remember, the AC is used to cool the battery when charging....something unheard of from Nissan apparently)

3. Check chassis/tires/brakes

4. Remove PEM and clean air cooled heat sinks

5. Test motor and cable integrity

6. Update firmware level

7. Reset service indicator

8. Apply all outstanding bulletin/campaigns

9. Charge Battery

10. Clean car

caffeinekid said:
Boomer23 said:
CMYK4Life said:

Annual Inspection Checklist:

1. Inspect operation of all parts of the car electrically including lights

2. Evacuate and recharge the A/C refrigerant (remember, the AC is used to cool the battery when charging....something unheard of from Nissan apparently)

3. Check chassis/tires/brakes

4. Remove PEM and clean air cooled heat sinks

5. Test motor and cable integrity

6. Update firmware level

7. Reset service indicator

8. Apply all outstanding bulletin/campaigns

9. Charge Battery

10. Clean car

Why on earth would they do an evac and recharge on the A/C system if there is nothing wrong? It's not like refrigerant goes 'bad' over time inside the system.

Actually, it is related to their extended protection plan, not for service per se... It is also optional.

CMYK4Life said:

nonleafeater said:
Why on earth would they do an evac and recharge on the A/C system if there is nothing wrong? It's not like refrigerant goes 'bad' over time inside the system.
Good question, but the same could be asked about Nissan's brake flush service for the Leaf.

caffeinekid said:
nonleafeater said:
Good question, but the same could be asked about Nissan's brake flush service for the Leaf.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic - it absorbs moisture over time through air molecules that enter through the rubber brake lines and seals. This lowers the boiling point of brake fluid, so under heavy/hard braking there is a higher likelihood of boiling the fluid.

Yeah, but certainly not yearly. Every two or even three years is fine. When in doubt, test it.

nonleafeater said:
Brake fluid is hydroscopic - it absorbs moisture over time through air molecules that enter through the rubber brake lines and seals. This lowers the boiling point of brake fluid, so under heavy/hard braking there is a higher likelihood of boiling the fluid.

nonleafeater said:
caffeinekid said:
nonleafeater said:
Do a quick search for the words "brake fluid flush" and you will dredge up enough reading to keep you busy all night! The hardest part to agree on seemed to be what made the Leaf unique among Nissan vehicles for it to require "frequent" brake fluid changes. Before deciding what you will do, perhaps this post will provide you with a data point:

--------
DTB wrote: I will probably have the brake fluid flush done at two years as well. Even though I hate paying for overpriced services from a dealer, it might be worth it just because of convenience and piece of mind in case something goes wrong.

So what is a fair price for a brake fluid flush from the dealer? I think they gave me a price at the 1 year battery check but I had already zoned the guy out after the $100 cabin filter quote.

You may want to check the moisture content with a DMM before you decide to have it changed. If it reads .3 +- or lower then it is still good and wouldn't have to be changed.

---------

Somewhere else in the thread or a related MNL topic was a comment that test strips to measure moisture in brake fluid can be purchased at most auto parts stores.

HighDesertDriver said:
Do a quick search for the words "brake fluid flush" and you will dredge up enough reading to keep you busy all night! The hardest part to agree on seemed to be what made the Leaf unique among Nissan vehicles for it to require "frequent" brake fluid changes.

Nissan's recommended two-year brake flush interval is not unique to the Leaf. My independent VW-Audi mechanic recommends it, as does MotorWeek's Pat Goss.

RonDawg said:
HighDesertDriver said:
Do a quick search for the words "brake fluid flush" and you will dredge up enough reading to keep you busy all night! The hardest part to agree on seemed to be what made the Leaf unique among Nissan vehicles for it to require "frequent" brake fluid changes.
Nissan's recommended two-year brake flush interval is not unique to the Leaf. My independent VW-Audi mechanic recommends it, as does MotorWeek's Pat Goss.
As with Leaf tire pressures, tire rotation schedules, air filter changes, wiper blade replacement, and maximizing battery life, there are also many differing opinions concerning brake fluid flushing. It will never hurt to change the fluid more often, but perhaps first measuring absorbed moisture content will help one decide which path to take for their car in their environment. The intent here is only to point out that a MNL search will turn up lots of prior discussion on this topic -- and a means to actually measure what seems to be the brake fluid variable of interest.

I have done most of all the mechanical work on my cars for the last 50 years. I've only flushed the brake system if I started to notice a soft pedal (which I never did) or I was changing pads or shoes. I've never had any brake failures in all that time. What I find interesting is that the LEAF is very gentle on its pads because of the regenerative breaking. I suspect that the dealerships are looking for anything to make the LEAF profitable for their service department.

Back