Quick charging locations in Orange County and/or San Diego

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to think "EV Project knows where they're going", but since they just yesterday announced that they hired a "partner" to "identify sites", I'm back to thinking they couldn't find their own ass with both hands.

If I ever Quick Charge, even once, during my 3yr lease, I will be totally amazed.

smkettner said:
The map of the existing stations is easy.
There are exactly none in CA.

No idea for location or timing for proposed QC stations.
Vacaville has some.
Halfway between sf and sacto.

thankyouOB said:
smkettner said:
The map of the existing stations is easy.
There are exactly none in CA.

No idea for location or timing for proposed QC stations.
Vacaville has some.
Halfway between sf and sacto.

Actually Vacaville has one, but it is administratively turned off as mentioned in other topics.

So, as far as I know, none actually publicly available and operational in CA right now.

I gather there is one working on in Portland, OR, and perhaps some in Texas.

Vacaville does have a bunch of J1772s, if you fancy waiting around 7 hours to get charged back up.

OK, we all know the level 3 chargers are nonexistent everywhere, but regarding the San Diego portion of the OP's question: how about even just level 2 public charging stations? I know the Nissan dealers have them and there was a post mentioning 1 at the Lodge at Torrey Pines. Any others? ChargePoint doesn't have any. Specifically, I'd love one downtown somewhere so I could charge my Leaf while we're at a Padre game.

+1 and a fast charger around Anaheim would open up the ability to be able to visit that part of Southern Ca.

Supposedly there will be DC quick chargers at some Arco stations in San Diego. http://www.ecotality.com/newsletter/10132010_BP_Blink_DC_Fast_Charger.html To date they've installed no L3 and no L2 units, nor have they publicly identified any specific locations for L3 or L2 units.

It sure would be nice to have DC quick chargers at strategically placed Arco locations all through Southern California and along I-5.

As for the EV Project's "study" of locations, for many months their web site had a map where you could click to suggest locations you'd like to have public chargers. I wonder if they kept all that public input or if they discarded it.

walterbays said:
To date they've installed no L3 and no L2 units, nor have they publicly identified any specific locations for L3 or L2 units.
There are three Blink L2s at the Lodge at Torrey Pines, and at least one up in Escondido, I thought.

davewill said:
There are three Blink L2s at the Lodge at Torrey Pines, and at least one up in Escondido, I thought.
Those are Blinks? I'll have to go take a look. And I guess I'll have to stop saying that the EV Project has done absolutely nothing towards public infrastructure. (I'd just love to start talking about what a great job Ecotality is doing building public infrastructure and planting the seeds of a much more extensive privately funded infrastructure.) Thanks for the correction and the good news.

walterbays said:
davewill said:
Those are Blinks? I'll have to go take a look. And I guess I'll have to stop saying that the EV Project has done absolutely nothing towards public infrastructure. (I'd just love to start talking about what a great job Ecotality is doing building public infrastructure and planting the seeds of a much more extensive privately funded infrastructure.) Thanks for the correction and the good news.
Yeah, there's a post with photos at the Lodge around here somewhere.

As far as I know, it's just the three Blinks in Lodge @ Torrey Pines. The Escondido install hasn't taken place yet.
And none are "quick charge" locations, of course.

L2 chargers are also available at Mossy Nissan locations (KM & Poway & Oceanside). Pacific Nissan doesn't allow most Leafs to charge.

So yeah, it's a pretty sparse map. I like to tell people that EV Project's failure became my 35-mile extension cord.

GroundLoop said:
I'm back to thinking they couldn't find their own ass with both hands.

I am sitting in LAX waiting for my plane and laughing my head off at this posting. The people around me are looking at me and moving slowly away! :lol:

davewill said:
There are three Blink L2s at the Lodge at Torrey Pines
Has anyone used these charging stations? Reviews of the lodge list parking as $27 valet, $22 self-park. (Rooms start at $325.) How public are these "public" chargers? It kind of sounds like these are more for Tesla drivers.

walterbays said:
davewill said:
Has anyone used these charging stations? Reviews of the lodge list parking as $27 valet, $22 self-park. (Rooms start at $325.) How public are these "public" chargers? It kind of sounds like these are more for Tesla drivers.
Parking is free during the day.

Even a bunch of L2s at Disneyland would be a big help. As it currently stands, we'll have to take the ICE when we visit there (130 miles round trip)...

stanley said:
+1 and a fast charger around Anaheim would open up the ability to be able to visit that part of Southern Ca.

davewill said:
walterbays said:
davewill said:
Parking is free during the day.

I haven't been able to find pictures of the EVSEs at the Lodge that someone else mentioned were posted here, so today I went there for lunch at The Grill - mainly so I could see these units. There is one Blink L2 EVSE just inside the gate of the parking garage, next to the handicapped space. It's kind of an awkward spot to get into since it's so close to the gate - I drove in and did a U-turn to get at it.

Free parking and free charging as far as I could tell. I got just over 3 kWh while I was at lunch. Good deal for the Lodge since lunch is easily $12-15/person even at The Grill, though I suppose one could simply come to charge, then leave.

I didn't see any other EVSE units, but I was with a friend and forgot to ask.

rhover said:
I haven't been able to find pictures of the EVSEs at the Lodge that someone else mentioned were posted here, so today I went there for lunch at The Grill - mainly so I could see these units. There is one Blink L2 EVSE just inside the gate of the parking garage, next to the handicapped space. It's kind of an awkward spot to get into since it's so close to the gate - I drove in and did a U-turn to get at it.
That was me, and I can't find the thread, either! I do remember he said the other two were in the valet parking area, but DARN! how can a detailed post with photos just disappear!

Back