Rairdon's Nissan of Auburn (WA) $100 below Dealer Invoice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
If one is in Southern California, is it necessary for their LEAF to be shipped to Auburn, WA, then back south?

If not, can it be "drop-shipped" directly here instead?
Where here?

Thanks!

If you live in California, you cannot purchase a NEW car out of state. period. In order to bring a car in from out of state it must be used. Definition of used is 7500 miles. If you purchase this car out of state you must take a very long trip before returning home.

Yes, now I remember hearing that in CA under 7500 miles is considered "new", and no NEW purchases from out of state are allowed.

I believe there were a few rare exceptions, death, military, moving from out of state, etc.

However, that rule did NOT apply to my new Electric motorcycle purchased out-of-state. I THINK that was because it was all-electric, but MAYBE it was because it was a motorcycle.

However, quite possibly EVs are exempt from that rule?

Edit: Yes, it is a 50-state smog-related rule, that apparently does NOT apply to an EV like the LEAF.

Yes that is what I ment I listed them as my dealer and have given all my info to them.

I am also now receiving a $450 shipping credit from Nissan of Auburn which will minimize my shipping costs to arizona!!!

garygid said:
Yes, now I remember hearing that in CA under 7500 miles is considered "new", and no NEW purchases from out of state are allowed.

I believe there were a few rare exceptions, death, military, etc.

However, that rule did NOT apply to my new Electric motorcycle purchased out-of-state. I THINK that was because it was all-electric, but MAYBE it was because it was a motorcycle.

However, quite possibly EVs are exempt from that rule?

Exemptions
* Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or a legal separation settlement
* Purchased it to replace your California registered vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
* Purchased it to replace your California registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
* An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § 27156.2 and 27156.3.
* Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
* A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.

So yes, your EV motorcycle did meet the exemption.

Yes, the Petaluma, CA %5 off MSRP is slightly better than the Auburn, WA $100 under Invoice, so arranging some Drop-Shipping to avoid the "re-shipping" costs would be great.

Apparently a new 50-state emissions car (not 49-state) CAN be purchased outside CA and registered in CA.
So, I think the EV LEAF qualifies as 50-state emissions-OK, so buying it in Auburn, WA should be OK, right?

garygid said:
Apparently a new 50-state emissions car (not 49-state) CAN be purchased outside CA and registered in CA.
So, I think the EV LEAF qualifies as 50-state emissions-OK, so buying it in Auburn, WA should be OK, right?

You may be correct. The law used to read any car under 7500, and that was not only to keep people from going out of state and purchasing the federal cars, but also to protect the California franchise dealerships. It looks like the dealership protection portion of the law may have been removed (the state collects sales tax regardless). I'll have to dig some more to be sure, but on first glance it looks like you may be correct.

palmermd said:
garygid said:

You may be correct. The law used to read any car under 7500, and that was not only to keep people from going out of state and purchasing the federal cars, but also to protect the California franchise dealerships. It looks like the dealership protection portion of the law may have been removed (the state collects sales tax regardless). I'll have to dig some more to be sure, but on first glance it looks like you may be correct.

I thought that was only if you leased, then you pay in the city where you live on each payment.

leaffan said:
palmermd said:
garygid said:

I thought that was only if you leased, then you pay in the city where you live on each payment.

The state collects the sales tax when you register your car. If you purchase new in CA then you pay the tax at that time. If you finance then the bank pays the tax and your cost is built into the loan. If you purchase out of state then it is your responsibility to register the car at the DMV and they will collect the tax at that time. If you lease the car then the leasing company pays the tax when you take the car and the taxes are built into your lease. It does not matter how you do it, the state will get its tax in full at the time of registration. Sales tax is always based on your home address no matter where you purchase or lease the car.

Not sure how this got diverted to a tax issue other than my comment about how the state changed the rule to no longer protect the dealerships, and that they did not care to protect the dealerships because they will get their portion either way.

evnow said:
Some of you who have contacts in CA commission responsible for that $5K should be able to find out.

They don't seem to care if you got it from out of state, assuming it is possible to register a NEW car that was purchased out of state. They are only looking to see they you were the buyer and have evidence of purchase and that you registered the car in california and will keep it registered for 3 years.

http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/self-generation-incentive-program/sgip-documents/doc_download/524-cvrp-requirements

evnow said:
palmermd said:
...and that they did not care to protect the dealerships because they will get their portion either way.

That is an opion, not a "fact", I guess.

It is a fact that they get their money either way. Why they dropped the dealership protections from the law is unknown to me at this time, and yes it is my commentary on their decision.

palmermd said:
The state collects the sales tax when you register your car. If you purchase new in CA then you pay the tax at that time. If you finance then the bank pays the tax and your cost is built into the loan. If you purchase out of state then it is your responsibility to register the car at the DMV and they will collect the tax at that time. If you lease the car then the leasing company pays the tax when you take the car and the taxes are built into your lease. It does not matter how you do it, the state will get its tax in full at the time of registration. Sales tax is always based on your home address no matter where you purchase or lease the car.

I'm confused. In WA, there is no state tax on EVs so that tax shouldn't be rolled into the lease, and the leasing company wouldn't have to pay any in WA, right? And it wouldn't be right anyway to pay taxes twice, so I thought I would just pay the tax on each payment. At least that was I was told earlier. Please explain. Thanks.

leaffan said:
I'm confused. In WA, there is no state tax on EVs so that tax shouldn't be rolled into the lease, and the leasing company wouldn't have to pay any in WA, right? And it wouldn't be right anyway to pay taxes twice, so I thought I would just pay the tax on each payment. At least that was I was told earlier. Please explain. Thanks.

That comment was about CA ... not WA.

evnow said:
leaffan said:

That comment was about CA ... not WA.

You mean someone in CA buying out of state? So it's different for us in AZ?

leaffan said:

I don't know anything about how things work in Washington. In California, when a vehicle is registered the entire tax bill is collected. If you are paying cash, you pay the cost of the car plus the taxes. If you are financing, the person holding the title has to pay the entire tax bill, and they will work those costs into the payments of the car for you. If you are leasing it is the same situation. The person who holds the title is responsible for the entire tax bill at the time of vehicle registration.

palmermd said:
leaffan said:

I don't know anything about how things work in Washington. In California, when a vehicle is registered the entire tax bill is collected. If you are paying cash, you pay the cost of the car plus the taxes. If you are financing, the person holding the title has to pay the entire tax bill, and they will work those costs into the payments of the car for you. If you are leasing it is the same situation. The person who holds the title is responsible for the entire tax bill at the time of vehicle registration.

Ah, I see. It's different for Arizonans.

leaffan said:
You mean someone in CA buying out of state? So it's different for us in AZ?

Yes. But in CA they are worried about getting their $5K rebate. In AZ it should be just another out of state car getting registered ... I guess you pay your normal sales tax.

I not sure but $100 below invoice then paying $600 for shipping is not cheaper then $1,000 below MSRP with first 200 miles free? Or even 5% off MSRP

Back