RearView Monitor not standard in MY2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I "cranked up some tunes" in the 2013, and could definitely hear more bass from the BOSE subwoofer, but I wouldn't call it "audiophile" quality. It was a little overly "thumpy" if you know what I mean.
I used the USB thumb drive that I usually have in my 2011 and it worked just the same in the 2013. It read the folder layout and showed the files in the same format.

The AVM seems mostly useful in keeping your wheels from scraping the curb as you parallel park.
I supposed it might save you from hitting a support beam if you are negotiating a tight parking garage.
Or maybe if someone left a stray shopping cart next to your car. So, it could seem like a gimmick most of the time, but it might turn out to be really worth it if you happened into a rare situation where it really saved you from a costly mistake.

Retrofitting a RVM onto a Leaf will not give you what I feel makes the Leaf RVM great, the guides and that the camera is dead center. Every time I get back into my Prius and use its RVM that has no guides and is off center reminds me how superior the Leaf RVM is.

Spies said:
Retrofitting a RVM onto a Leaf will not give you what I feel makes the Leaf RVM great, the guides and that the camera is dead center. Every time I get back into my Prius and use its RVM that has no guides and is off center reminds me how superior the Leaf RVM is.
Not just that - it shows where the car is going depending on the steering wheel position. I find this useful when getting out of tight parking lots.

OrientExpress said:
The RVC rule is in effect for MY 2014 cars.
You sure about that? It seems like the ruling got delayed again.
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130101/AUTO01/301010338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/01/nhtsa-backup-camera-ruling-delayed-again.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/03/nhtsa-delays-backup-camera-rules-again/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-15/backup-camera-rule-very-much-alive-strickland-says.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is a nice to have feature but I don't feel it is all that necessary on a small car like Leaf. The rear view is not obstructed like it is in SUVs where it is a must-have. I could definitely get by quite comfortably w/o it. It does help to park in tight places though. How do I feel about it? I don't really care as I'm not getting a new Leaf anytime soon :)

jkirkebo said:
I'm not thrilled with the new option packages. I like the RVC and would also like the around-view if I was getting a 2013 Leaf. But I definately do not want the Bose as it takes up valuable trunk space. So if I had to choose I would get neither (or get both and remove the subwoofer if it is possible).

I do not see why these options are bundled.

+1 I could care less about Bose speakers, give me trunk space instead (but I'd like to have more visibility with the AVM on its own)

As a relatively short person, I have some visibility issues in the car anyway, especially the front angle views where those big-a**ed roof supports are located on the left and right sides of the main windshield (blocks my view of people walking on sidewalks, cars trying to turn left in front of me, my visibility of the median when I'm trying to make a left turn, etc) and so anything I can get which helps me see out of the car would be supremely beneficial

MikeD said:
OrientExpress: I am not clear on how easy it is to use the AVM feature, etc versus the RVC (which I am familiar with on my 2011 SL). Is it possible some people will greatly prefer the RVC over the AVM, yet it not be available because they want an SV or SL (and so only can get the AVM via the P01 Premium Package)?
I had a chance to play with the AVM at the BayLeafs MY'13 demo. In addition to the 4-camera view that all the photos show, if you press the button a second time, the side display changes to just the RH mirror camera showing a view down so you can see where you are relative to the curb. In this mode, you see either the front or back camera in the main display (3/4 of the screen) depending on if you are going forward to reverse, along with the curb view in the right 1/4 of the screen. Perfect for parallel parking without having to guess how close you are to anything.

Spies said:

Thank you for this post! It's my first reat view camera, and always turn my head to park still after 3 weeks then look at the screen at the very end of my manuver. Just getting started with this newer technology in cars.

DoxyLover: How many different camera "views" does it seem to toggle thru? So if you press the "camera" button another time does it show the LHS camera+Front/Back?

MikeD said:
DoxyLover: How many different camera "views" does it seem to toggle thru? So if you press the "camera" button another time does it show the LHS camera+Front/Back?
Unfortunately, it's only two views: 4-way and right curb. I found the 4-way view to be pretty much worthless, though I only sat in the car for a few minutes so I could be wrong. My though is that they should have saved the cost of the camera in the driver's side mirror. :lol:

Spies said:
No reason at all an aftermarket one can't be dead center. Fair point on the guides if you care about that (I don't personally).

I really like the 2011 LEAF's RVM, with its excellent guide lines
that curve (accurately) as you turn the steering wheel.
It, and an ti QC port are the useful features, in my mind.

In the 2013 model, if the AVC performs as well, then nothing
is lost, but the RVC should be standard as a safety feature,
with the AVC an option, in my opinion.

However the AVC might turn out to be as amazingly good
as the RVC (with turning guide lines) unexpectedly turned
out to be.

The very good sound system in my 2010 Prius (an upgraded JVC
system perhaps?) is substantially superior to the rather marginal
sound system in my LEAF, in my almist-deaf opinion.

The text to voice that is used for speaking the street names in
the LEAF's Nav is substantially better in the LEAF than the
voice in my Prius, which is one of the poorest that I have
heard, which even slurs individual words together.

Apparently the AVC is just an extra-cost option?

Agreed. The 4 way, as they implemented it, is more confusing than anything else... BMW, Acura and Audi, among others, do it the right way...

DoxyLover said:
Unfortunately, it's only two views: 4-way and right curb. I found the 4-way view to be pretty much worthless, though I only sat in the car for a few minutes so I could be wrong. My though is that they should have saved the cost of the camera in the driver's side mirror. :lol:

According to this handy chart from plugincars.com, you can get the rearview camera on the S if you get the charger package which includes the 6.6 kW OBC, QC port and rearview camera. I have to assume that the Navigation/7"-color-screen of the SV/SL also gets you the rearview camera as it does on the 2011/2012 LEAF.

drees said:
I have to assume that the Navigation/7"-color-screen of the SV/SL also gets you the rearview camera as it does on the 2011/2012 LEAF.
And you would be wrong. That is the whole point of this thread.

Infact, this is the only feature removed from 2013 that was in 2012.

evnow said:
And you would be wrong. That is the whole point of this thread.
Infact, this is the only feature removed from 2013 that was in 2012.
Gee - lighten up? No need to be so harsh.

It makes no sense that the rearview monitor would be available as option w/the Charger Package on the S if it doesn't come w/the nav system on the SV/SL - or at least was available on the SV w/the LED+QC package and standard on the SL.

Seems crazy that you might be able to get the S with the rearview monitor but have to upgrade to the premium package to get a rearview monitor on the SV/SL.

I really do bet there's a way to integrate an aftermarket cam into a factory nav. Connect composite video and get the proper signal (12v or gnd, can't remember which) to the bu cam presence wire, done. Should be downright easy - and in fact, in that solution you *would* get the path indicators (they're overlaid into the display by the nav unit) - though differences in the angling/positioning of the camera as it compares to the stock unit may lead to some difficulty getting them to line up accurately.

The only way it wouldn't work would be if Nissan actually used a different nav unit (or different firmware) in vehicles depending on whether they had the charging package - which would add complexity to their assembly process for no good reason.

LOL - $8
http://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-License-Plate-Backup-Camera/dp/B0049LBJ56/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1358540499&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (((yes this is a SUPER-cheapo unit, and not actually what I'd recommend, just pointing out that these things start WAY inexpensive)))

Back