Sacramento Area Leafs Meeting [Thread Retired]

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Visual said:
Are we supposed to respond/sign-up for the Dec 1st meeting at the Fuel Cell Partnership?
I don't believe so. I will see if anything of the sort is necessary tomorrow. I think you'll need to bring your own chair though.

Due to the availability of DCFC ... we might want a LEAF count of who/how many need charging. The have plenty of parking and also at least one semi-public L2, plus probably another Nissan-owned L2 (not sure on that).

Count me in. Headcount = 1. No charging.

Got an email from Guy Hall with more details on the meeting. I have updated the OP. You will need to bring a chair. There's also two L2's available. Let me know if you need a charge to get home, especially if you need to leave early, so you can get priority.

JeremyW said:
Looks like this will yet again be a wet meetup. ;) It also might be the smallest yet... with a headcount of 3! :shock:
I have confirmation from one additional. Plus two others (depending on weather) who usually don't post here. Plus you probably want to count eMaS, who is arranging it ... :)

Bring the GID meter (if it has arrived ...)

Ingineer said:
I'm thinking of attending. Does anyone need any EVSE or Climate Control upgrades? I'll need a little bump from the QC.

-Phil
I just sent out an email to locals ... will let you know if upgrade requests come in.

JeremyW said:
Looks like this will yet again be a wet meetup. ;) It also might be the smallest yet... with a headcount of 3! :shock:
Add one more offlist respondent (headcount of 2). (For tracking purposes: KK+1).

(I will update this post as more come in.)

JeremyW said:
There will be *many* local attendees who are not on this list. Head count of three MNL members... but definitely more attendees.

For the record, I will be riding my bike, and most definitely NOT bringing a chair.

How does the L2 charging situation look like at the Fuel Cell Partnership? Last time I looked, there was an Avcon nearby, but I lent out my adapter, and this is out of the question now. I was supposed to be at the OpenEVSE workshop in Cypres, but given that I just returned from LA yesterday night, I'm leaning towards not flying to SoCal again for a few hours.

surfingslovak said:
How does the L2 charging situation look like at the Fuel Cell Partnership? Last time I looked, there was an Avcon nearby, but I lent out my adapter, and this is out of the question now. I was supposed to be at the OpenEVSE workshop in Cypres, but given that I just returned from LA yesterday night, I'm leaning towards not flying to SoCal again for a few hours.
The Avcon is now J1772-2009. (Probably running 30A.)

darelldd said:
For the record, I will be riding my bike, and most definitely NOT bringing a chair.

I'll be bringing two chairs, so you can borrow one. I think this is an open shop floor or some such, so there's no seating normally available. :)

LEAFer said:
surfingslovak said:
The Avcon is now J1772-2009. (Probably running 30A.)

Yes, there's a 30A Clipper Creek near the entrance. It's actually on plugshare. Would love to see you come out! :D

Note that the gid meter from Tom isn't here yet, but I do have a gid meter w/o case that I can plug in for anyone to get a quick reading if desired.

What's going to be covered at this meeting? I couldn't find the topics to be covered in the Greater Sac EAA org website.

[Edit: Never mind. Found it on first page--thought I would have to wade through 14 pages.]

JeremyW said:
I'll be bringing two chairs, so you can borrow one. I think this is an open shop floor or some such, so there's no seating normally available. :)

Ah... generous of you to offer. Of course I ended up not riding - deciding that standing around in wet clothes in a cold garage wasn't going to make me happy. But I still didn't sit. ;)

3GkrH.jpg

XKuiE.jpg

Phoenix said:
Anything new or interesting that could be shared publicly?
Not really. :( There were a few hints dropped, but not much more than what's here on the forum.

There was some good discussion on charging infrastructure with Guy Hall leading the discussion, specifically:
Workplace charging - stations may be "hogged" all day by drivers that need only 1-3 hours of L2.
Discussions of price and incentive to move the car when fully charged: charging by time plugged in, a refundable connection fee, and subscription models.
For public EVSE's, the question was asked how much would you be willing to pay? I believe the price for L2 somewhat agreed on (after much discussion) was not much more than one dollar an hour. Many also wished more charged by the kWh instead of time. For the subscription model of fast charging, many wished for an alternative of paying for only individual charges. Some didn't think they'd use the quick chargers all that much to justify a monthly reoccurring fee. I personally like the subscription model if there are both stations located along major routes as well as a few in town for a 5 min top off.
Finally, for those really interested in getting infrastructure put in place, keep your eyes pealed for good sites. :) The remaining funding for the reconnect CA program is eligible for new sites with the caveat that they do need power to be available at the EVSE location.

A big kudos to Ingineer and Surfingslovak who came out from the bay area! :D I think the Leaf count was 12 with about 20 people showing (please correct my numbers if I'm wrong). We also has Surfingslovak's Active E and LEAFer's Roadster.

Nissan had a few Fuel Cell vehicles. Was great to see under the hood, but no pictures were allowed.

Thanks to Nissan and the Fuel Cell partnership and to everyone who came out. :)

palmermd said:
White seems to be the color or choice in Sacramento.
Given the summertime temps there, I'm not surprised. I've never been able to understand why people would buy a black car in hot climates - if you lived in Alaska or Canada, sure. It's interesting, though, that while Blue seems to be the most popular elsewhere, Red seems to be the second choice pretty much everywhere.

My last three cars have all been silver metallic. The Blue doesn't do anything for me, and no way I'd buy black. The red looks better, the white's more practical. Ordinarily I avoid red like the plague (I prefer not to draw attention to my speeding), but with a BEV I'd be worried about range so would often drive at more legal speeds, albeit not crawling along at 55. In any case I'd probably want to draw attention to the car. Sure would be nice for Nissan to provide at least one nice green like the Fiestas I see, instead of every possible variety of silver.

Back