SAE Planning vote to formally deny CHAdeMO in US

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
Once one BEV manufacturer begins to offer this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JJMvWjl4a4&feature=player_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a hard time believing it won't be a huge selling point, that all BEV manufactures will soon adopt.

Yep, if that's what my garage looked like, I probably wouldn't care about 3% loss either!

standards wars have been a regular part of our world forEVER. why would this be any different.

Beta or VHS

HDVD or Blu ray.

Chad or ???

since we have Chad and ??? is nothing but hot air, i have a minimal level of concern to be quite honest with ya.

another thing to think about....lets add up the expected # of EVs from those 7 manufacturers for say the end of 2013...what will that be?

well, i am guessing the lowly MiEV will cover that all by itself.

edatoakrun said:
I have a hard time believing it won't be a huge selling point, that all BEV manufactures will soon adopt.
I'd get it, not only because it's convenient but it would ensure I'd park perfectly every time. As for adoption, I suspect we'll see an induction charging option from both Cadillac and BMW.

Public charging might be more complicated since with different sized vehicles might have to be positioned differently. We'd need a standard!

The picture in the article below does not look compatible with the J1772 connector standard. Wrong picture? How is HomePlug GreenPHY compatible with the J1772 pilot signal?

I'm confused.

New SAE Fast-Charging Standard To Be Shown Next Week

scottf200 said:
SOURCE Ford Motor Company
DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 12, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
Audi, BMW, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche and Volkswagen agreed to support a harmonized single-port fast charging approach for use on electric vehicles in Europe and the United States
<snip>
* The system is a combined charging approach that integrates all charging scenarios into one vehicle inlet/charging connector and uses identical ways for the vehicle to communicate with the charging station
* The seven auto manufacturers also agreed to use HomePlug GreenPHY as the communication protocol. This approach will facilitate integration of the electric vehicle into future smart grid applications
<snip>
The system is a combined charging approach integrating all charging scenarios into one vehicle inlet/charging connector and uses identical ways for the vehicle to communicate with the charging station. This allows electric vehicles from Audi, BMW, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche and Volkswagen can share the same fast charging stations.
<snip>
Automakers point to the success of Level 1 and Level 2 (for 220V charging in the U.S.) as an example of how standardization will increase the adoption of electric vehicles and increase customer satisfaction. The harmonized electric vehicle charging solution is backward compatible with the J1772 connector standard in the U.S. Backward compatibility also has been achieved in Europe where the system is based on the IEC 62196 Type 2. The approval of the J1772 standard has given electric vehicle owners the comfort of knowing they can charge at all Level 2 charging stations. Prior to standardization an EV owner had no way of knowing if the charge port they were pulling up to was compatible with their vehicle.

KeiJidosha said:
The picture in the article below does not look compatible with the J1772 connector standard. Wrong picture? How is HomePlug GreenPHY compatible with the J1772 pilot signal? ...
That pic doesn't quite look like I remembered. The answer to your last question is that it's not. The new plug isn't compatible with the J1772 receptacle, it's the new receptacle that's backwards compatible with the J1772 plug. If you plug in a J1772, the old pilot signal is used. If you plug in the new DCFC, then the pilot pin is unused and the J1772 AC wiring is used for HomePlug instead.

If GM can mess it up they will. Let's change everything out there to match their current whim in chargers. My first EV's just plugged into the wall---that was too easy. Then I got a S10-E pickup and a Magnacharger. It had the large inductive paddle. At the same time, Toyota was starting out with the original conductive charger Rav4-EV's. They then adopted the GM paddle charger but GM went to a small inductive paddle---the big one wouldn't look nice in their new vaporware models that would replace the EV1's that they were about to crush. So my Toyota TAL charger wouldn't work in the S10E without a plastic adapter. In addition, the magnacharger used IR to communicate with the vehicle and the Toyota used RF. My TAL charger had both protocalls so (with the adapter) it could charge both vehicles. The Magnacharger was useless for anything but a S10-E or a crushed EV1 because the paddle was now too big and it couldn't communicate with the Rav4. So now we have a SAE standard and a EVSE to buy instead of a cord and a plug on the wall and it looks like the SAE might want to revisit that standard! Gee, my LEAF has two connectors--one the SAE hates and the other they are not sure about. Meanwhile the old 6.6 kw Magnacharger and TAL charger just collect dust. They will never get it perfect or settled. The market will have to sort it out and in the meantime we will all suffer from the GM hidden agenda.

One standard at a minimum supports single phase AC charging, three phase AC charging, low wattage DC charging, and high wattage DC charging. The other standard supports medium wattage DC charging.

davewill said:
KeiJidosha said:
The picture in the article below does not look compatible with the J1772 connector standard. Wrong picture? How is HomePlug GreenPHY compatible with the J1772 pilot signal? ...
That pic doesn't quite look like I remembered. The answer to your last question is that it's not. The new plug isn't compatible with the J1772 receptacle, it's the new receptacle that's backwards compatible with the J1772 plug. If you plug in a J1772, the old pilot signal is used. If you plug in the new DCFC, then the pilot pin is unused and the J1772 AC wiring is used for HomePlug instead.
Here is a picture with the port.
Combined Charging System port
My J1772 EVSE will not plug into that. Tell me this does not obsolete all current J1772 products.

KeiJidosha said:
My J1772 EVSE will not plug into that. Tell me this does not obsolete all current J1772 products.
This is the one I've seen:
10128_12138_ART.jpg

http://ev.sae.org/article/10128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And it would work fine with my current plug.

well that is one way to do it. instead of designing a new system, just attach another plug to the existing plug. i wonder how much it would weigh carrying wires for both charging options?

DaveinOlyWA said:
well that is one way to do it. instead of designing a new system, just attach another plug to the existing plug. i wonder how much it would weigh carrying wires for both charging options?
I'm pretty sure no plug will carry both L2 and DCFC on it. You'll plug in a standard J1772 for L2, and the combined plug for DCFC.

davewill said:
KeiJidosha said:
This is the one I've seen:
10128_12138_ART.jpg

http://ev.sae.org/article/10128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And it would work fine with my current plug.
So if the above connector becomes a real standard all we need to do is replace the J1772 connector and leave the CHAdeMO connector in place. Best of both world assuming the car software can handle the multiple communication protocols.

garygid said:
So, the article just got a rendering of an old concept version?
No, it's definitely a different plug. You can see it here as mentioned in the first cite: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1075897_new-sae-fast-charging-standard-to-be-shown-next-week" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not the same at all. The original rendering looked like a J1772 on the top with the two prongs on the bottom. This one just has three prongs on the top with two on the bottom. Obviously the new car plug will take either J1772 or this one.

What am I missing? That plug won't fit either connector in my car. I don't see how a connector in tomorrow's cars could be designed to take both that plug and today's J1772 plugs. So is there any compatibility in either direction? Will tomorrow's cars end up with two connectors, despite what SAE has been pushing all this time? Or is all the infrastructure being built now for 240v AC charging going to go the way of paddle charging stations?

Ray

The way I see it, Nissan will lose this one. We may see charging stations with two cables for a little while, but in the end those of us that leased, knowing that we where early adopters and things might change will return the cars at the end of the lease and get something new that works with the infrastructure. It will be very interesting to see what companies like evGo do with their current or announced quick charge infrastructure.

Maybe there will some kind of crazy adapter, but it sure looks like we bought Betamax, unless Nissan has something up their sleeve, the current fast charge port will not stay in US cars.

Didn't the SAE publish the first standard for horse drawn buggies in 1961? By the time any one of these manufactures actually have an electric car to market the physical plug-in application will be obsolete.

lipower said:
Didn't the SAE publish the first standard for horse drawn buggies in 1961? By the time any one of these manufactures actually have an electric car to market the physical plug-in application will be obsolete.

OK, sounds good. Still, kiss your Leaf QC port goodbye.

Back