San Diego Airport, 40 Level 2 Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbshaun

I noticed at the remodeled terminal 2 short-term lot that a bunch (40 I'm told) Chargepoint stations are installed, though not yet open.

Does anyone know how these will be managed?
Presumably they'll be EV ONLY ,... in which case i wish they'd not used the sports closest to the terminal.
Will the EV have to be plugged in? (in which case i could still abuse the spot by plugging in but not connecting)
What if i was to do a 4-day trip and needed just 2 hours of charge?
Will there be an extra charge by the hour of charge? Or by the hour plugged in? Or by the hour in the spot?
Short-term parking at SAN is expensive, I rarely use it.

Do we think they have it right, dedicating 40 prime spots to EV's ?
Would not a valet service work better?
I know Aladdin parking (1 mile from terminal) has EV stations, .. looks like it's a valet service. Anyone used them?

Shaun

One day people will figure out that EV charging stations should go to the back of the parking lot. One problem is that electrical cable is expensive and they want to make it as short as possible.

I have made inquiries about the rules for these units, how the billing will be handled for these units and if there might be a parking discount, but I have not received a reply. I'll keep trying....

Lasareath said:
One day people will figure out that EV charging stations should go to the back of the parking lot. One problem is that electrical cable is expensive and they want to make it as short as possible.

Some hosts want them in the front (not only for the cheaper installation costs) but they are also trying to make a statement to other drivers (EV or environmental)...

It would be nice if they installed chargers in the cell phone lot.

Lasareath said:
One day a tipping point will come when the majority of cars are plug-ins or, more likely, capable of inductive charging. Then, entire parking lots will be built with whole sections dedicated to recharge them and ID them wirelessly, then automatically bill the owners' credit cards for the cost of charging as appropriate and proportional. ICE vehicle drivers will be sequestered and ostracized as if if they were cigarette smokers, and will hopefully be paying outrageous sin taxes on their fossil fuel like cigarette buyers pay for their addiction.

Not that I'm biased or anything... :cool:

They should have put in 80, L1 units. The reason they are doing these is because they are getting them free. This is the reason most of the time and if offered 80 free L1 units then that's what they would put in. Far more practical to everyone.

Very Nice!

timhebb said:
Lasareath said:
One day a tipping point will come when the majority of cars are plug-ins or, more likely, capable of inductive charging. Then, entire parking lots will be built with whole sections dedicated to recharge them and ID them wirelessly, then automatically bill the owners' credit cards for the cost of charging as appropriate and proportional. ICE vehicle drivers will be sequestered and ostracized as if if they were cigarette smokers, and will hopefully be paying outrageous sin taxes on their fossil fuel like cigarette buyers pay for their addiction.

Not that I'm biased or anything... :cool:

EVDRIVER said:
They should have put in 80, L1 units. The reason they are doing these is because they are getting them free. This is the reason most of the time and if offered 80 free L1 units then that's what they would put in. Far more practical to everyone.
Well, If I'm coming in to pick up a relative, an L1 wouldn't do me much good. I'd need at least L2...or a DCQC somewhere in the area (QC doesn't need to be AT the airport). L1 would make sense only if I was the one traveling, and leaving my car at least a day. Of course, then I would need it in long-term parking, not in short-term parking like this.

timhebb said:
One day a tipping point will come when the majority of cars are plug-ins or, more likely, capable of inductive charging. Then, entire parking lots will be built with whole sections dedicated to recharge them and ID them wirelessly, then automatically bill the owners' credit cards for the cost of charging as appropriate and proportional.

Agreed, the EVSEs being laid out so far will pale in comparison to the inevitable sea-change.

But there will also come a time after that, when any EV will have more than enough autonomy to cover all but the very longest of drives, and most of the L1/L2 infrastructure will be obsoleted.

Lasareath said:

why would you want to park at the back of the parking lot?

hieuous said:
Two reasons.

1. Regular cars are more likely to park in EV charging spots when they are up front and close.

2. Because when EV spaces are seen as a big parking perk, it creates additional bad feelings on the part of drivers who do not favor EVs.

davewill said:
hieuous said:
Two reasons.

1. Regular cars are more likely to park in EV charging spots when they are up front and close.

2. Because when EV spaces are seen as a big parking perk, it creates additional bad feelings on the part of drivers who do not favor EVs.

i never thought of it like that....i just wish they would put a charging point somewhere near me. let alone worry about where in a parking lot they put it.

davewill said:
hieuous said:
Two reasons.

+1

LKK said:
It would be nice if they installed chargers in the cell phone lot.
You could try parking at the Spanish Landing Lot instead. Biggest problem is that there is often car2go's parked there - people often leave them there when headed to the airport and there's only 2 Blink stations there.

EVDRIVER said:
Agreed about the L1. I told my partner to ask for that at her place of work too.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic here, but i foresee EV drivers treating themselves to a parking perk by using the spots but not the chargers, or them not being used at all, depending upon the rules and enforcement. This parking lot fills up pretty much every day causing drivers to panic about missing their flights.
Either way I fear resentment and a backlash against "smug EV drivers" and thus EVs as a whole.

Shaun

gbshaun said:
I know Aladdin parking (1 mile from terminal) has EV stations, .. looks like it's a valet service. Anyone used them?
I have in the past, and now I just got back from a trip to Seattle. The parking area is right next to the office--you can't find a better parking place! There are three Blink stations there. They told me I was welcome to leave the car there, and they would unplug the Blink after it finished. Apparently, they know how Blink bills for connect time, and they want to accommodate us as best they can. They're not concerned with how long I stay. I asked specifically about that.

This whole park and fly thing was new to me, and it was the charging angle that originally got me into it. These guys are efficient, courteous and fast. I told them I wished they ran the airport as well!

There were a minor wrinkle this time, in that I hadn't programmed the timer for charging. This meant that I had to punch the override to start charging, and of course, that would take me to 100%. I asked them to pull the plug early, but I guess they didn't quite understand. So, I had a full charge for three days. No biggie, really, and I'd remind the out-of-towners that the airport is right on the coast, so there are virtually no hot days.

The Blinks are recently installed, and I had surmised that they'd be off somewhere in the regular parking area. I had planned to explore the garage and find out where the chargers were, how the charging was arranged, and where the normal customers usually park. To tell the truth, my LEAF can go down there and back without a recharge, and I had understood that the Blinks were going to be for day use, like you'd find in an Ace lot. I didn't expect to be using the Blinks this time. But the staff was right there at the entrance...Electric? Park right over there! Have your card? Start it up, We'll unplug it for you! And so on. I've still never seen the rest of the garage.

In times past, we used the 110V outlets in the same area. I guess in a way (as described in this thread) L1 charging would be better, but I don't know if I'd ask, after them taking the trouble to put in those Blinks. Your principles may differ :)

Bottom line: It's better than valet, but they charge you as normal indoor parking. 15 dollars a day. They honor the coupon, if you have it. Then it's 13 dollars per day.

I repeated the trip described above, again this October. And the garage has a new arrangement. Basically, what I had expected last time, was now in place this time! With a twist. As many of you have pointed out, Level 1 charging makes a lot of sense for long-term parking. And that's what's in the new "EV" section. I imagine they also felt they didn't need more Blinks.

Aladdin.jpg
There is no "cited" signage; rather than rely on The Law, they simply put cones in the spaces. I think they just leave one open and then move the cones around as needed. I didn't have to get out of the car to park. This area is one flight up from where the office is, so its easy to get in and out.

The 120V power is on from midnight to 6 AM, to take advantage of cheap rates. This is fine with me, as I usually have my timers doing something like this anyway. The original four Blinks are still in their original place "at the door", but you now pay valet rates to park there and have L2 charging round the clock.

Thanks for the update. We just parked there for 5 days, though didn't charge as i can do the r/t from Encinitas without. But another time i may want to come back to a full or 80% charge (my timer is 24hours, but only to 80%. If I want 100% I disable or override it).
They told me about the new stations and we drove around but couldn't find them. Your picture will help me locate them.

I have a day trip tomorrow from/to Terminal 2, and am thinking of parking at one of these L2 stations. I've tried looking up any info about them, and all I can see is what Chargepoint tells me: That they are free (!) and you can't reserve them. No biggie there, a couple weeks ago I did the same trip, and when I came back there was exactly ONE in use, so I figure it won't be a big deal.

Anything else I might need to know?

Back