Smear Campagn against EV's being waged by Oil & Auto industr

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^
Link didn't work for me but http://seekingalpha.com/article/563371-ev-dreams-and-industrial-metal-nightmares" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; does.

The is obviously yet another misinformed and/or ingnorant right wing zealot... Likely has Big daddy oil in is pocket some how.

Sarterfish said:
Unfortunately the US auto industry really doesn't want EV technology to take hold either... have you see any commercials AT ALL about the recent release of the Ford Focus EV? The US auto industry and the US Oil industry have ad a looong and happy marriage and many alliances have been indelibly formed. This is how and why they defeated EV legislature in the 90's, and as you should know, Exxon Mobile bought and shelved a patent then for a battery breakthrough with a 330 mile range. G.M. not only repossesed all the EV-1's they had out, (tHey chose ONLY to lease them), they then proceeded to not just mothball the fleet, they GROUND THEM UP INTO SMALL UNRECOGNIZABLE PIECES so on one could eve3r use them again!
Not an argument, just facts.
Given how little I watch commercial TV, whether I have seen any commercials or not is a poor indicator of whether any have appeared :D . Have any Focus EVs been delivered to customers yet? Are they even at the dealers? I've been waiting to test drive one, but haven't seen anything here or elsewhere to indicate they're available yet, although I know they're close.

But even if Ford chooses to keep the Focus EV low-key, I wouldn't be surprised. Indeed, they are apparently adopting a very different marketing strategy for the Focus compared to regular cars (see the Focus EV thread in the Other Electric Vehicles sub-forum), because they perceive it (rightly IMO) as a niche vehicle mainly appealing to early adopters, a market which I think has largely been soaked up by the Leaf. And with the price, the Focus is an even harder sell than the Leaf.

As to advanced batteries, you could completely paper your walls with all the super battery announcements over the past 110 years, virtually all of which don't get commercialized due to serious technical shortcomings - see this thread for numerous current examples:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe one or more will work out, but historically most of them don't. Sodium-Sulfur, anyone? Zinc-Air? The current buzz is mostly about Nano improving electrodes, with Lithium-Air as a distant Holy Grail, but they're by no means the only ones.

Now, as to Auto Company/Big Oil alliances, we were discussing them in relation to whether it made more sense to keep your current car or buy a new one. In that context, do you seriously contend that it is in the interest of auto companies to encourage people to keep driving their current cars rather than buy new ones, thus cutting their own throats to benefit Big Oil? Auto companies are primarily in business to sell new cars and only secondarily to sell parts and service, although the balance of profit attributable to each category is shifting.

Re crushing EV1s, yeah, that was pretty stupid, a huge PR mistake as GM's CEO admitted shortly afterward, although it probably made sense to the legal department. And yeah, EVs require auto companies to move out of their comfort zone and area of expertise with ICEs, and into batteries and related tech. But they are quickly acquiring that knowledge and those capabilities; the success or failure of EVs this time around will be governed by the price of oil and the price and performance of batteries (and charging infrastructure, which we are already on the way to solving even though it's the most expensive part). The price of oil is bound to go up over the long term, the only question is the rate at which is does so versus the rate at which batteries improve.

The auto companies will sell whatever vehicles consumers want, whether that's 12 mpg SUVs in a time of cheap gas, 23 mpg CUVs which replaced them when gas got more expensive, 35 mpg ICE cars, 45mpg HEVs, or PHEVs/BEVs. They'll follow the market or go out of business (or be propped up by the government, as the case may be).

NO, I don't contend that US automakers want people to keep their old ICE's, they want people to keep buying TRUCKS and SUV's as long as possible, which not only is in alliance to their cousin's a Exxon etc., but also require far more parts and maintenance than smaller vehicles, an WAAAAAAY more parts and service than EV's. Have you noticed how a lot of American cars, especially larger ones, need a LOT of work after even 100,000 miles, and their values plummet accordingly? New transmissions, new head gaskets, new seals because they start to leak etc? Have US automakers gotten sloppy, or are these breakdowns possibly planned obsolescence?

It is actually likely that the ONLY reason they are making EV's at all is that it lowers their overall fleet CAFE gas mileages, enabling them to KEEP building big 'ol American trucks & SUV's a plenty!

Dude, it wasn't a PR mistake that they ground up all remaining EV-1's. It took a LOT of resources and money to destroy any remaining remnants and evidence of a car that was loved by everyone that had one! They did it out of shear FEAR that someone would continue to drive them and the word would continue to spread on how cool they were and ow much people loved them.

Yes, Ford started selling the Focus EV in December 2011. They did not advertise it. They have sold a whopping TEN as of March 15th 2012. http://www.plugincars.com/ford-says-focus-electric-sales-on-track-114094.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They are quoted as saying their sales and roll out are "on track". They also priced it almost $10,000 higher than a Leaf... so, do YOU really think they want it to sell??

It seems painfully clear to me, that Ford may indeed really want this car to fail... Then they can say, "See we told you so, the American people don't want EV's", and try to keep us all dependent on oil and ICE's with their "normal" maintenance issues. Chevy seems to have stepped up their marketing of the VOLT, which a great vehicle and would be an excellent choice of "long range" household vehicle, (especially if there's only one car in the household!) BUT, at it's core is still an ICE.

It's really time for the US public to wake up and see just how badly they're being manipulated and managed.

Sarterfish said:
NO, I don't contend that US automakers want people to keep their old ICE's, they want people to keep buying TRUCKS and SUV's as long as possible, which not only is in alliance to their cousin's a Exxon etc., but also require far more parts and maintenance than smaller vehicles, an WAAAAAAY more parts and service than EV's. Have you noticed how a lot of American cars, especially larger ones, need a LOT of work after even 100,000 miles, and their values plummet accordingly? New transmissions, new head gaskets, new seals because they start to leak etc? Have US automakers gotten sloppy, or are these breakdowns possibly planned obsolescence?

It is actually likely that the ONLY reason they are making EV's at all is that it lowers their overall fleet CAFE gas mileages, enabling them to KEEP building big 'ol American trucks & SUV's a plenty!
Assuming for the sake of argument that your contention is correct, they've already lost that war, not just for the current generation of car buyers:

http://www.tv3winchester.com/home/headlines/145827215.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but the next one, assuming their tastes don't change significantly:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-02-27/classified/sc-cons-0223-autotips-20120225_1_craig-giffi-pure-battery-electric-vehicles-interest-in-hybrid-vehicles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here's the link that got me the search results above, for those who wish to read further:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=automobile+buyers+priorities&oq=automobile+buyers+priorities&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=hp.12...6794.8963.1.10858.8.8.0.0.0.0.169.1222.1j7.8.0...0.0.RjvgWHObnqI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=6b4b1bdf32659c2&biw=1024&bih=673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sarterfish said:
Dude, it wasn't a PR mistake that they ground up all remaining EV-1's. It took a LOT of resources and money to destroy any remaining remnants and evidence of a car that was loved by everyone that had one! They did it out of shear FEAR that someone would continue to drive them and the word would continue to spread on how cool they were and how much people loved them.
Gee, all what, 1,000 of them? Yeah, and the Leaf, i, Coda etc., despite selling for less than the EV1 (in constant dollars), being four or five place and having better batteries at a time when gas costs $4/gal instead of $1.50, are taking the U.S. auto market by storm - why, they've almost sold as many total (if you throw in the Volt as well) in the U.S. in 17 months as a single month's sales of the entirely conventional Chevy Cruze, which is something like the third or fourth best seller in its class. I'm sure they were quaking in their boots over the dire threat to their profits the EV1 represented, when they decided to crush them.

Sarterfish said:
Yes, Ford started selling the Focus EV in December 2011. They did not advertise it. They have sold a whopping TEN as of March 15th 2012. http://www.plugincars.com/ford-says-focus-electric-sales-on-track-114094.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They are quoted as saying their sales and roll out are "on track". They also priced it almost $10,000 higher than a Leaf... so, do YOU really think they want it to sell??

It seems painfully clear to me, that Ford may indeed really want this car to fail... Then they can say, "See we told you so, the American people don't want EV's", and try to keep us all dependent on oil and ICE's with their "normal" maintenance issues. Chevy seems to have stepped up their marketing of the VOLT, which a great vehicle and would be an excellent choice of "long range" household vehicle, (especially if there's only one car in the household!) BUT, at it's core is still an ICE.

It's really time for the US public to wake up and see just how badly they're being manipulated and managed.
The December availability was for fleet customers only; the general public has just recently been able to order cars. As to whether I think the Focus EV is a good deal or not, I've been bad-mouthing it over its price, its lack of luggage space or an L3 option for months. I've said that the price would likely drive most buyers to Leafs, Volts or even Codas, despite its likely better handling and nicer interior. However, several people on this forum have been able to test drive it over the weekend and have given it generally positive reviews, so if performance matters to you more than space it might be a reasonable option. See

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6641&start=320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I doubt I'd be willing to pay that much premium as I'd rather spend money for better range (i.e. Coda), but some might.

That's exactly right... maybe not "quaking in their boots", but they CLEARLY saw what a renessiance in a new EV auto industry could do to their industry and long standing alliances with Oil companies. There have been over 24,000,000 miles now logged on the "EV project" alone, and the results are partially logged here... http://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2012/04/30/how-evs-are-changing-driver-behavior-7-lessons-24-million-miles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Are they quaking? Not yet, but the future is quite clear and their are very economical alternatives to the old ICE and it's inefficient use of a fuel source that is degrading the entirety of life on the planet. They know that as this becomes mainstream their business as it as been for almost 100 years will change radically. The Auto allianaces with Oil will become battle lines and "turf wars" over profits.

Do you not think they will be, and already ARE, fighting HARD to see that rapid EV development does not take place? How ignorant do they want us to remain? How incredibly callous and criminal is it to put profits above human health and well being?... Above the well being of all of life on the planet?

I'm curious Guy, do you even drive an EV? What do you feel your purpose is, here on this forum, and in life in general? Do you have children? Do you care what kind of a world they and their children grow up in? I hope you do, but the Oil and Auto industry are still very much in denial... They will not look the obvious truth in the face and admit that the course we've ignorantly been on must be radically altered for the sake of all. The age of ignorance is over, so what do our actions represent when there is clear and eminent danger involved?

Sarterfish said:
I'm curious Guy, do you even drive an EV? What do you feel your purpose is, here on this forum, and in life in general? Do you have children? Do you care what kind of a world they and their children grow up in? I hope you do, but the Oil and Auto industry are still very much in denial... They will not look the obvious truth in the face and admit that the course we've ignorantly been on must be radically altered for the sake of all. The age of ignorance is over, so what do our actions represent when there is clear and eminent danger involved?

Sarterfish, I applaud you and have really enjoyed your comments here.
Please, dont get all exorcised about Gra.

He doesn't have a Leaf, to answer your question, but likes to tell us all about his views on EVs, and even about ICEs, and especially marketing.
he offers a seminar on how EVs should, could, would, oughta perform; and moreover, how he wants to buy one and, but really, he is not a naysayer, just is compelled to spew his views everywhere/anywhere he can so that the car companies can wise up and make an EV that he would like enough to buy.

he needs an editor.
and i think he is a paid troll or, at best, an unpaid concern troll.
i used to engage with him. but i think it is enough to let others pick up the torch, as you have done, and eventually anyone who has been around the MNL site for a day or two will see him for what he is. just dont get trapped in it.

and watch out, because he gets insulted easily and will call you out. he demanded i apologize for disputing something he said. I correctly disputed annual car sales numbers that he cited, and he explained they were millions off because he was including trucks and vans, and so he wasnt wrong or something.
did i say he doesnt own an EV? yea, but he figures we should all know what he says or otherwise we are living in our own small, little world.

Thanks, I kind of figured as much. I guess it's never a bad thing to have someone stir the pot a bit as well... It really just helps galvanize my personal comittment, and makes me realize again what the EV industry and we as a society are up against. I hope it has a similar effect on other readers as well. :)

And no personal offense is meant, Guy. I just really think we all to be really clear about what we want for the future, what REALLY matters, and what the best way to get there is... It might not necessarily be the cheapest way either, but what really needs to be done? What's the right thing to do, knowing what we now know?
J

Sarterfish said:
That's exactly right... maybe not "quaking in their boots", but they CLEARLY saw what a renessiance in a new EV auto industry could do to their industry and long standing alliances with Oil companies. There have been over 24,000,000 miles now logged on the "EV project" alone, and the results are partially logged here... http://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2012/04/30/how-evs-are-changing-driver-behavior-7-lessons-24-million-miles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Are they quaking? Not yet, but the future is quite clear and their are very economical alternatives to the old ICE and it's inefficient use of a fuel source that is degrading the entirety of life on the planet. They know that as this becomes mainstream their business as it as been for almost 100 years will change radically. The Auto allianaces with Oil will become battle lines and "turf wars" over profits.

Do you not think they will be, and already ARE, fighting HARD to see that rapid EV development does not take place? How ignorant do they want us to remain? How incredibly callous and criminal is it to put profits above human health and well being?... Above the well being of all of life on the planet?

Much as I appreciate thankyouOBs answering for me, on the off-chance that you're interested in my answers, here you go:

I'm curious Guy, do you even drive an EV?

While I've been a supporter of EVs (where they currently make sense, i.e. urban use) for a couple of decades, no, I don't drive or own an EV as they don't currently meet my needs, but I hope they will in the not too distant future. I have driven one for more than a week (a prototype Think, in the late '90s), as well as test driving all the currently available ones that I could conceivably afford, and providing feedback to their manufacturers re improvements I'd like to see. I also will be renting some of them to see if my map estimates of necessary locations for L3 charging need to be modified (and also just for fun), recommendations which I will provide to the various charging companies in hopes that one or more will install them at those locations. I've also lobbied local businesses and/or governments to install chargers if I thought they were appropriate.

What do you feel your purpose is, here on this forum, and in life in general?

Here on this forum, it's to give and receive useful information, especially from a point of view that's outside the group of early adopter enthusiasts that make up the majority of the members here. High-tech early adopters are far less price-sensitive and typically more willing to put up with limitations or compromises than mainstream consumers. IMO this tendency to ignore market realities results in inaccurate and often bad decisions, and is more likely to retard than advance the adoption of EVs.

As to the purpose of my life in general, you might as well ask what's the meaning of life, it would take about as long to answer (or else it's 42).

Do you have children? Do you care what kind of a world they and their children grow up in?

Having come of age not too many years after "The Population Bomb" was published, and being a member of the only generation to see the human population double in its lifetime, I determined early on that I wouldn't contribute to the problem, not feeling that the lack of my genes in a world of 4 billion (then. 7+ now) would be of any significance. Fortunately, thanks to Ehrlich and others as well as the effects of urbanization and large parts of the developing world improving economically, that battle has largely been won.

As to my caring about what kind of world I leave, I've been an environmentalist since my pre-teens (credit the Santa Barbara oil spill for that), did a lot backpacking, X-C skiing and mountaineering, belonged to the usual environmental groups and did the usual things, and first lived with and then began selling off-grid AE systems and high-efficiency appliances during Desert Shield owing to my disgust at fighting a war over oil. Subsequently, in lieu of using an EV for urban use, I moved to a place where I can walk to all usual services, bike to work, and combine either of those with mass transit (6 blocks to the station) for all regional trips within 30 miles or so, thus saving more energy than an EV as well as being more healthy for me. My current place is well insulated, oriented for passive solar, and I have installed many energy-efficient loads despite it being a rental that includes utilities.

I hope you do, but the Oil and Auto industry are still very much in denial... They will not look the obvious truth in the face and admit that the course we've ignorantly been on must be radically altered for the sake of all. The age of ignorance is over, so what do our actions represent when there is clear and eminent danger involved.

While I agree that we need to make some big changes, I disagree that the Oil and Auto industries are in denial; they just see things from a primarily economic aspect. My experience selling a high-tech product similar in many ways to EVs and with considerable overlap in customers, i.e. high capital costs, low operating costs, uncertain payback and replacement costs owing to immaturity, lack of familiarity by mainstream consumers, requires a major disruption in how things have been done) made me, in Stewart Brand's terms, an Eco-Pragmatist. You have to consider the economics and the market, and you may need to take less than ideal intermediate steps to get where you want to go. Less than ideal solutions in large numbers have a greater, faster effect than ideal solution in minuscule numbers.

And that's quite enough typing for now. Hopefully you now have an understanding of where I'm coming from.

Thanks Guy,
I do appreciate your answers, where your coming from, and where you've been. It was looking like you were alternately bent on blasting EV adoption, yet occasionally throwing a bone of hope and encouragement... I agree there's a long way to go, the most important thing sometimes is the journey not the destination... The "mark" will always move forward, (hopefully!). I'm not sure saving all the people is the right answer either... as we've certainly made a mess of things to this point. I tend to place higher regard on the overall quality of "life" in general, above "just" human life. So, thanks for your thoughts, your work on AE systems, and your lighter than average footprint. We're more similar than I first thought!
-John
Off The Grid Design, LLC
San Rafael, Ca.

Sarterfish said:
Thanks Guy,
I do appreciate your answers, where your coming from, and where you've been. It was looking like you were alternately bent on blasting EV adoption, yet occasionally throwing a bone of hope and encouragement... I agree there's a long way to go, the most important thing sometimes is the journey not the destination... The "mark" will always move forward, (hopefully!). I'm not sure saving all the people is the right answer either... as we've certainly made a mess of things to this point. I tend to place higher regard on the overall quality of "life" in general, above "just" human life. So, thanks for your thoughts, your work on AE systems, and your lighter than average footprint. We're more similar than I first thought!
-John
Off The Grid Design, LLC
San Rafael, Ca.

i liked his answser, too.

Sarterfish said:
Thanks Guy,
-John
Off The Grid Design, LLC
San Rafael, Ca.
I suspect if my ~20-year younger self were posting here, my posts might read much like yours :D It must be nice to be able to sell modules for $1-2/Watt(peak). Even the ten year old Arco M51s off the Carrizo plant that we were selling in 1990 retailed for about $5/watt, with new modules running $6.25-$7.00.

Yes,
thankfully prices are dropping with increased production, better efficiencies, etc. I am not specifically in the retail or directly in the installation end though. I am a designer/builder and developer to some degree. I have become involved with an organization called the Passive House Alliance, US, http://www.phaus.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My own business is primarily focusing on bringing net zero and near net zero structures into the realm of affordability. Also now, net zero homes + transportation systems. There are good things in the works if we can get things rolling along... But as to the nature of my original post here, there are some fairly big adversaries and infrastructures that would not like to see this happen as rapidly as I would like, or as the world needs...

Your 20 year younger self? NEVER to old to make a difference! :) Keep up the good work, we all need it!

add this to the right-wing efforts to kill clean energy.
http://my.firedoglake.com/thecallup/2012/05/10/confidential-memo-outlines-right-wing-coordinated-propaganda-campaign-to-crush-wind-power-energy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

an interesting and supported effort to blacken the reputation of windpower.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/interactive/2012/may/09/wind-power-memo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Conspiracy? What conspiracy?! ;-) There really is almost no length they won't go to to keep their monopolies and stranglehold on the US public! It is SICK, and truly criminal if it jeapordizes planetary health and safety... There will come a day when people, corporations, and industries have to answer for this.

I'd been driving my CivicWithACord for 25K miles; 10 years; 40 miles per charge on flooded lead acid batteries (100 year-old technology). So you can imagine how STOKED I am to have ordered a 2013 LEAF with LiFePO4 batteries. Now to wait that last month or two until delivery...
Oil industries are no better than cigarette industry, the violent video game industry, and I could take a poke at another couple of groups as well. Kind of a shame when oil companies are actually aligned with terrorists because they want oil sold no matter how it affects our foreign policy and the US military. Oil is SO 20th century!

Back