SoCal Branch Year 3 LEAF-Gatherings - See Year 4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waidy said:
DanBaldwin said:
The meeting was good, although not quite as many people showed up as the last couple of times. The turnout at the workshop afterwards was low too. I think the total that were at the workshop at one time or another was 7. Gary had more time to help people, and even a little time to relax.
I want to say "thank you" to everyone in the workshop. Special thanks for Chris getting the place and Gary a great mentor. My son learn a lot. He finished the two openEVSEs. The only thing left to do is to cut a window for the LED and solder a SPST switch connecting the LED mother board to outside of the box. Many mucho thanks. One more question: is the box "weather proof" that can be mounted on the outside wall of the garage/house?

Yes, those boxes should be water tight, however I would attempt to shield the box from direct sunlight and rain. It's simple to test... empty out the components, and dunk it underwater!!!

TonyWilliams said:
Yes, those boxes should be water tight, however I would attempt to shield the box from direct sunlight and rain. It's simple to test... empty out the components, and dunk it underwater!!!
Thanks for the advise and your generous help in getting our two Open EVSEs started.

waidy said:
TonyWilliams said:
Thanks for the advise and your generous help in getting our two Open EVSEs started.

You're welcome!

Mine is still not done, though :cry:

Question: The LED boards are using a 2.5mm screws. Do I use the same screws to mount the LED assembly to the cover? Are you using any gaskets to seal the 4 edges around the LED on the cover? Darren is very brave, he brought himself a cutting tool to cut the holes.

Some of you know Gus Ayer through our Santa Ana meetings. Mike Walsh and I became Facebook friends with Gus and I was just shocked to see that Gus passed away today. I don't have any details, but it appears that it was very sudden and unexpected. Gus was a big, good natured guy with grey hair, a big mustache, a ready smile and a florid complexion.

Gus was a forum supporter. His screen name here and on many other forums was Aoelus. He was a very active progressive and environmental voice in Orange County politics and a former mayor of Fountain Valley, CA. Gus was an avid hiker and his conquests included Machu Pichu and recently the Grand Canyon. Gus had just completed his first year with his solar PV system on his home, and it was my pleasure to be able to help him to figure out SCE's complex TOU billing schemes for EVs. I once noticed that Gus had posted on another forum about SCE's rate structures and he said that he had gotten the information from "Some guy on the internet". I laughed and I'll always remember with pride being that "some guy" to Gus.

Here are a couple of links to articles about Gus:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/02/13/1187030/-An-Orange-County-Progressive-Giant-Gone-aeolus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.orangejuiceblog.com/2013/02/gus-ayer-environmental-hero-and-political-mastermind-has-died/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=gus-ayer-environmental-hero-and-political-mastermind-has-died" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Waidy and Darren.
The display should mount in the metal plate INSIDE the plastic cover,
NOT in a slot in the plastic "water resistant" cover. Hopefully,
Darren has not cut a slot in the plastic cover.

We had a good, fun, and even productive time at the last workshop,
with just two projects (I did not work on mine) and two helpers.
With the relaxed pace, I was not as exhausted as I have gotten
previously, and I enjoyed this workshop much more.
As usual, Dori is generous to let us use the "In-Transit" office
space, and... a wonderful host.

Darren learned a lot, and really seemed to enjoy the interaction.
He was fun to be around, he learned quickly, and he even
said that he wanted to come back. However, he might have
learned and accomplished enough that he can "lead" others
who attempt the OpenEVSE project there... but always welcome here.

We recently had a chance to log data from a Tesla S, from the
up-front OBD port, but it is not yet clear that this is the only
CAN bus in the car. Like the RAV4EV’s design, there might well
be another "hidden" CAN bus, yet to be discovered.

Please let us know about the service/funeral so that we can attend.
One never knows what to do today, and what to leave for tomorrow.

If I make a sudden departure, I want you all to know that you have
helped enrich my last years, and even helped me get through them.

Our next Gathering is on February 23rd at the Hometown Buffet on
17th street in Santa Ana, just 2 blocks East of the I - 5 freeway.

Yes, I am making plans to attend, and I will be there if I am permitted. :D

Saddened by Gus's passing. A couple of months ago, had a very informative discussion with him regarding governmental issues. Too bad I didn't know about his environmental and hiking interests as well.

Tributes to Gus Ayer continue to flow in on progressive blogs and local media. I'm just starting to realize what a force Gus was in local politics; a progressive who was willing, even motivated to read through the driest of legal papers to distill the truth of an issue, and then had the energy to bring his conclusions into the daylight and encourage action.

Gus leaves his wife and three sons. One blog mentioned an apparent heart attack as the cause of his death, but I'm not sure that's confirmed.

I haven't seen any funeral arrangements announced.

Here's another blog by a close friend of Gus. It mentions Gus' joy at getting his solar powered LEAF in the last year or so.

http://www.orangejuiceblog.com/2013/02/remembering-gus-ayer-and-keeping-his-spirit-alive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boomer23 said:
Tributes to Gus Ayer continue to flow in on progressive blogs and local media. I'm just starting to realize what a force Gus was in local politics; a progressive who was willing, even motivated to read through the driest of legal papers to distill the truth of an issue, and then had the energy to bring his conclusions into the daylight and encourage action.

+1... Who knew! I mean, I knew he was political, and in tune with the OC political scene. But I didn't know he was FV Mayor. It's pretty damn rare to see a politician who doesn't shamelessly blow his own horn!

The MEMORIAL Service for Gus Ayer will be Sunday, Feb. 24th from 2 -4 p.m. at the Mile Square Park Nature Center.

That's a quote from a comment to the Orange Juice blog. Seems like a long time hence, but with a guy like Gus, maybe some major people needed to move some things around.

I'm thinking about attending.

Mile Square Regional Park
16801 Euclid
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714)973-6600 or (714)973-3197

http://ocparks.com/parks/mile/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see the Urban Natural Area, but no Nature Center.

Edit: the Nature Center appears to be a building very near the east
edge of the park, a bit south of the Edinger and Euclid intersection.
From the aerial photos, there seems to be street parking on Euclid nearby,
but using the parking lot a bit to the west of the Nature Center
might work.

The entrance to the park, for vehicles, is on Euclid, near the
southeast corner of the park.

Anybody know where we are going to meet, or park?
LEAFs in a row, ho, ho, ho!

I am planning on being there, wherever "there" is. :D

I have 2-day Audubon field trip planned this weekend; otherwise I would join you folks at Gus's Memorial.

Tomorrow, Tuesday, Feb 19, 7:30 pm is my Sierra Club talk:
"Reducing Carbon Footprint with Plug-In Electric Vehicles"

Being a weekday, the traffic will be heavy, so It would be hard for most of you to attend. JeremyW does hope to make it to provide support, which will be great.

The local Sierra Club Section meets at:
Upland Presbyterian Church
869 N. Euclid, Upland, CA.

Exit I10 at Euclid, turning North. From Euclid, turn W on 11th street (traffic light) one short block to church parking lot on your right. The meeting is on the second floor of the building on the E. side of the parking lot. There will be two open doors each leading to stairs. Take the left door, which will have a green Sierra Club banner on it, and climb the stairs to the meeting room.

James Hansen, the foremost climatologist, is speaking Sunday evening, Feb 24 in Claremont, on topic
"It is worse than it looks, but there is a way out"
I have an extra ticket. If someone is interested, please PM me.

Out next Gathering is this coming Saturday, 23 February,
at the Hometown Buffet on 17th street, just 2 blocks
East of I - 5, in Santa Ana. See you there.

After the Gathering, I will go Mitsubishi to QC, and then
try to make it up to Tujenga for a LEAFer's Chilli Cookoff.

Back