SoCal Branch Year 3 LEAF-Gatherings - See Year 4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Boomer,
Catching them at the hotel might work better.
At the beach they might up to their :eek: in the ocean,
and the parking might be near impossible at the beach.
Thanks, Gary

I agree, Gary. I've asked them if they plan to stop at the hotel before heading to the beach, and that we'd like to meet up with them at the hotel. They hope to arrive in the area around 5 pm on Friday.

Still waiting for info on the LA/SM leg.

It would nice to meet up with them on Friday, and then if any us "northerns" want to stay down there (i know the wife does) drive up with them to SM the next day. Would be cool to have a GIANT Leaf meet on the SM Pier! A good op for Paul to push the agenda more (he loves his Leaf as well!!)

I just think charging will be limited down in NB area on Friday.

Okay here's the plans for meeting up with the Ride The Future Tour cross country group:

This Friday, August 9, we will meet up with the group at their hotel parking lot in Laguna Hills (I'll verify that) between 4 pm and 6 pm. We won't linger longer than an hour, and then the group is going to head down to the beach at Newport, probably Balboa Pier. They want to dip their toes in the Pacific Ocean after having left from the Atlantic at the start of their trip. They are going to hang out at the beach talking to folks about their tour and taking film and photos. Anyone who wants to convoy along with them down to the beach is welcome. I'll post the hotel location here for you as soon as I verify it.

On Saturday, August 10, the group will be driving up to LA. I think that they are going to stop at Downtown LA Nissan and visit there, do some publicity, etc. They plan to be at Santa Monica Pier between 5 pm and 7 pm for more hanging out, talking to folks and more film and photos. That would be a good place for interested LA LEAFers to meet up with them.

So far, we have me, Gary and possibly Jason A and Mrs. Jason for the Friday meetup. Who else is interested? It would be great to have a few of us enthusiasts to give these folks a nice LEAFy welcome to Orange County.

Another nice gathering in Santa Monica would be fabulous.

Sound like a plan.. I think we'll possibly plan for a stop of high-power L2 at Tustin maybe (pending hotel address)..

I don't think we're going to follow them to the beach later, but I think a Saturday afternoon Leaf meetup would be cool in Santa Monica!!

Boomer23 said:
Okay here's the plans for meeting up with the Ride The Future Tour cross country group:

This Friday, August 9, we will meet up with the group at their hotel parking lot in Laguna Hills (I'll verify that) between 4 pm and 6 pm. We won't linger longer than an hour, and then the group is going to head down to the beach at Newport, probably Balboa Pier. They want to dip their toes in the Pacific Ocean after having left from the Atlantic at the start of their trip. They are going to hang out at the beach talking to folks about their tour and taking film and photos. Anyone who wants to convoy along with them down to the beach is welcome. I'll post the hotel location here for you as soon as I verify it.

On Saturday, August 10, the group will be driving up to LA. I think that they are going to stop at Downtown LA Nissan and visit there, do some publicity, etc. They plan to be at Santa Monica Pier between 5 pm and 7 pm for more hanging out, talking to folks and more film and photos. That would be a good place for interested LA LEAFers to meet up with them.

So far, we have me, Gary and possibly Jason A and Mrs. Jason for the Friday meetup. Who else is interested? It would be great to have a few of us enthusiasts to give these folks a nice LEAFy welcome to Orange County.

Another nice gathering in Santa Monica would be fabulous.

Ok, the verified hotel location is (EDIT) Comfort Inn, 23061 Avenida de la Carlota, Laguna Hills, CA.

I expect to be there by 4 pm to wait for the group to arrive. I may be able to be in email contact with some of the group members as they come in from Corona and central Orange County. (They're in Big Bear Lake tonight, a location I wouldn't have picked, but hey, maybe they are looking for challenges.)

I probably won't continue on with them to the beach, but I'll repeat that anyone is welcome to convoy down to Newport Beach with them or join them there. My suggested location for them is the Balboa Pier parking lot. I'll try to post details here about their actual beach destination after I have a chance to speak with them on Friday evening.

Yeah, I'll have to charge in Tustin. It's basically right near Greg's place but once there I can't be sure of other charging nearby. Thing is, once they hit the hotel.. what are their plans?

Stick around? have dinner? etc..

JasonA said:
Yeah, I'll have to charge in Tustin. It's basically right near Greg's place but once there I can't be sure of other charging nearby. Thing is, once they hit the hotel.. what are their plans?

Stick around? have dinner? etc..

They'll probably head for the beach fairly soon to take advantage of remaining daylight. Then I gather that they'll spend the evening hanging near the beach, enjoying reaching the Pacific, talk to folks about the Tour, probably get dinner.

Since you'll be coming a distance, might you want to join them for a longer hang near the beach, to make your trip more worthwhile?

I might be able to join as well, looks like I might be getting Friday off in exchange for working Sunday (already workin Saturday). Will know tomorrow for sure.

JeremyW said:
I might be able to join as well, looks like I might be getting Friday off in exchange for working Sunday (already workin Saturday). Will know tomorrow for sure.
Maybe Alan, GregH, TomT, Tony (you said you'd come up!! ;) ) and others can join? then dinner?

Jeremy, If they are planning Santa Monica for Sat 5pm-7pm... can you make it? I think the "northerners" should get DOO ETT.

P.S. I plan on going to the Sat morn meet. Drop the wife off in SM at 6am for the LA Leggers. Charge up, then over to HomeTown and chill out.

Ohh.. Cerritos Nissan! ;)

Boomer23 said:

I'll be dipping my whole body in the Pacific Ocean at Corona Del Mar Friday night 6:15-7:00 as part of my group's normal Friday night triathlon training.. Any idea where the EV gang might be around 7:30-8:00pm Friday night?

GregH said:
Boomer23 said:

I'll be dipping my whole body in the Pacific Ocean at Corona Del Mar Friday night 6:15-7:00 as part of my group's normal Friday night triathlon training.. Any idea where the EV gang might be around 7:30-8:00pm Friday night?

Greg, they want to gather at a beach parking lot where there will be people around to talk to about their Tour. I suggested the Balboa Pier as the place with the most foot traffic as well as a parking lot right on the beach. I mentioned Big Corona as a second choice, but there are fewer people around and the parking fees are steeper. I'm not sure which place they'll choose and whether or not they've arranged for press to meet them there. I'll talk with them when I see them on Friday, and I can post their plans here.

JeremyW said:
I'm good to go for tomorrow! :)

Cool, Jeremy, you'll be welcome. With you and Jason there, you'll skew the age demographic younger, which matches up much better with this young group of electric treckers better than Gary and I do. :D

Still room for lots more!

There is now word of a TV station that wants to cover the event, but I think that they may wait for the beach portion of the evening. But if you've always wanted to be on TV, this may be your chance!

The group is still debating which beach location to choose in Newport. Talk is centering on Balboa Pier, but Newport Pier is still on the table. I'll keep y'all posted.

Was on the fence about coming out to support this event since Friday's our busiest day of the week, but luckily an extended holiday period abroad means few/no shipments this week!. So I hope to make it to the hotel gathering at least (and skew that gender demographic while I'm at it). Can you confirm that hotel name, Boomer? Mapping that address brings up Comfort Inn on the photo view, rather than Quality Inn.

Last night I met a nice couple at the Mitsubishi Chademo, new Leaf owners, as in 3 days new! Invited them to Saturday's breakfast, I hope they can come. I plan to be early again (gasp!) but will be making an early exit, this time to go south, to San Diego or bust!

LeafyD said:
Was on the fence about coming out to support this event since Friday's our busiest day of the week, but luckily an extended holiday period abroad means few/no shipments this week!. So I hope to make it to the hotel gathering at least (and skew that gender demographic while I'm at it). Can you confirm that hotel name, Boomer? Mapping that address brings up Comfort Inn on the photo view, rather than Quality Inn.

Last night I met a nice couple at the Mitsubishi Chademo, new Leaf owners, as in 3 days new! Invited them to Saturday's breakfast, I hope they can come. I plan to be early again (gasp!) but will be making an early exit, this time to go south, to San Diego or bust!

Wow, you're right LeafyD, Comfort Inn it is! Glad you'll be coming and thanks for the correction.

As for the beach location, they seem to be settling on Balboa Pier parking lot and the bar/restaurant Cabo Cantina as a base.

So just for clarity, for tomorrow, Friday, Aug 9, we'll be gathering in the parking lot of Comfort Inn, 23061 Avenida de la Carlota, Laguna Hills to await the arrivals of the Tour group. I'll be there starting at 4 pm. The group will then head down (probably down Laguna Canyon) to PCH and then to the Balboa Pier parking lot for TV interviews and celebration of reaching the Pacific, and partying at Cabo Cantina.

Stay tuned, folks. The meetup with the RTFT folks at the Comfort Inn may happen a bit earlier on Friday, like maybe around 3 pm. The group is trying to arrange their timing to meet the TV people at the beach around 5 pm, so our meetup might move to as early as 3 pm.

I hope that you can still all make it.

Thanks for your patience. Stay tuned.

More then likely I'm out then if it's that early :( We'd have to leave here at noon just to make Tustin to charge on L2 and then continue the journey. Now it's earlier with traffic and I have stuff I can't get out of right now but I'll see...

The day is early and the skies are clear!! ;)

We're still planning on the SM Pier meetup tomorrow though, or at least going down and seeing what's up.

UPDATE for Friday's meetup: We are STILL ON for 4 pm at the Comfort Inn in Laguna Hills. Jason, I hope that you'll still be able to join us. Sorry for the waffling, but they have now adjusted the beach time later to make sure they can meet up with us at 4 at the hotel

Boomer23 said:
UPDATE for Friday's meetup: We are STILL ON for 4 pm at the Comfort Inn in Laguna Hills. Jason, I hope that you'll still be able to join us. Sorry for the waffling, but they have now adjusted the beach time later to make sure they can meet up with us at 4 at the hotel

I'm planning to be at the hotel soon after 3 pm, as some of the Tour vehicles may be arriving that soon, so if you're free and want to start hanging out early and get more chat time with some group members, feel free to arrive as early as 3 pm.

Back