SoCal Branch Year 3 LEAF-Gatherings - See Year 4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
URGENT:
Get your orders and the associated payments in early today, Monday.
Chris said that he will order parts today.

Do not miss this opportunity, if this is something that you have been
wanting to do. A nice, fully-featured EVSE, portable, with good status
display, 3-color LCD background, and easy choice of Max-Amps on
the Control Pilot for varied uses, and a 25-foot J1772 cord.

If you cannot build at the workshop, order the Parts-Package
anyway, and we will have another workshop later.

Completed signing up and paying for a 30A Open EVSE.

I am doing this for fun and experience not because of immediate need. If someone needs one or needs to build it that day, I am willing to relinquish my spot and components. I would also be willing to build one for someone. Send me a PM if you want to arrange anything.

This will be fun. Thanks, Chris!

11/13- I will be building a unit for another forum member.

Welcome, I am in Laguna Hills, if you have any questions,
PM me your phone number and when would be a good time to chat.

Might be too late, but PM Chris (chris1howell, about 5 posts above)
immediately, and ask. I suspect that he can get you in for most of
the parts, but you might have to order some on your own, but
that is very easy to do. I will guide you if you so desire.

The parts are/were $435.
If you have an urgency I can help you, I suspect.

In any case PM Chris so that he knows of your interest.
Cheers, Gary

TurnedOver,
If you need help getting to the Dec 1st Gathering in
Cerritos, just let us know.

You might even be able to take my "build" spot at
the workshop, unless Chris has another more-urgent
person already on the wait-list.

Pleased to have you find us.

garygid said:
TurnedOver,

Thanks, I guess I will need directions or perhaps if there's anyone going from down this way, then I could follow them.

TurnedOveraANewLeaf said:
garygid said:
TurnedOver,

Thanks, I guess I will need directions or perhaps if there's anyone going from down this way, then I could follow them.

Hi, glad you'll be joining us and congrats on your new ride. I live in Irvine but I'm in your area a lot because our kids live up that way. You'll find that the elevation change between your area and central OC will affect your trip planning somewhat. I find that I need about 4 bars of charge to get from south Irvine the 15 miles to Foothill Ranch because it's mostly uphill, but only 2 bars for the return trip. That's on surface streets like Alton or Barranca, with an overall average of 4 mi/kWh on the dash.

For the Cerritos trip (605 fwy at South Street exit), you may find it better to cut through central OC rather than coming south to the 405 right away. Maybe something like Irvine Blvd through Tustin, then pick up the 22 West to the 405 and then the 605 North.

That's what I'd do, to save my driving range, but with your new battery pack, you could probably do it all on freeway.

Map it and then if you still want to convoy with one of us, Gary or I will be happy to connect with you.

I'm kind of surprised everybody didn't want to have the Nov. 17 meeting down in San Juan Capistrano for the new quick charger celebration. Is it going to strictly be San Diego people heading that way?

hill said:
I'm kind of surprised everybody didn't want to have tte Nov. 17 meeting down in San Juan Capistrano for the new quick charger celebration. Is it going to strictly be San Diego people heading that way?

The decision was made earlier in the month to skip the Nov 17 meeting because of the Thanksgiving holiday and have the next meeting Dec 1 in Cerritos.

I plan to drive down to the San Juan event that afternoon, assuming that my timing works out okay with a morning commitment.

Boomer23 said:
You'll find that the elevation change between your area and central OC will affect your trip planning somewhat. I find that I need about 4 bars of charge to get from south Irvine the 15 miles to Foothill Ranch because it's mostly uphill, but only 2 bars for the return trip.
Very true since my commute to Lake Forest where I work (6 miles) uses almost nothing going there, but going home at night my battery takes a big dive!
For the Cerritos trip (605 fwy at South Street exit),
Is there a more pinpoint address so that I can plan it better?

This will be my first real trip where I'd needed to worry about range :)

Boomer23 said:
You'll find that the elevation change between your area and central OC will affect your trip planning somewhat. I find that I need about 4 bars of charge to get from south Irvine the 15 miles to Foothill Ranch because it's mostly uphill, but only 2 bars for the return trip.
Very true since my commute to Lake Forest where I work (6 miles) uses almost nothing going there, but going home at night my battery takes a big dive!
If you go down/up Lake Forest drive, I find that if you cut over to Cañada (which parallels Lake Forest Dr), it really helps. One, because it's a slower street and two, the slope is much more gentle.

Is there a more pinpoint address so that I can plan it better?

This will be my first real trip where I'd needed to worry about range :)

Sure, here you go:

Hometown Buffet, 11471 South Street, Cerritos 90703

It's hard to see from the street, but it's just a block east of the freeway. Turn left from South Street onto Gridley and then an immediate right turn into the parking lot, past the Starbucks on the corner of South and Gridley.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=hometown+buffet+cerritos&fb=1&gl=us&hq=hometown+buffet&hnear=0x80dd2d00f75b384b:0xe499548dd933e01,Cerritos,+CA&cid=0,0,1442651770387860740&ei=7SekUNaMOdDcqwHu_YCgBg&ved=0CJgBEPwSMAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Info on the EVSE that we will be building at the workshop,
and the workshop location's address.

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/OpenEVSE_Workshop?ts=1352676672&updated=OpenEVSE_Workshop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See some of you at the QC dedication on Saturday afternoon.

garygid said:

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/OpenEVSE_Workshop?ts=1352676672&updated=OpenEVSE_Workshop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rain in the forecast . . . . . bummer !! Let's hope none of us are fair weather drivers for EITHER of the 2 events. ;)

garygid said:

Dear Gary, I am a virtual participant. Does the Open EVSE allow future FW upgrade via 802.11, cellular, or blue tooth? If not, is this http://www.adafruit.com/products/46 the one I should get for future FW upgrade?

Back