Solution for EV Connect service?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowthom

I’m baffled and pissed off that Nissan has not provided a solution for early leaf connectivity going away. I’m still driving my 2011 Leaf and to keep it viable. It is essential that I can preheat the car to melt the ice & snow and maintain maximum battery charge. This time of year with heat / defrost running the range is 35~40 miles with a full charge. Very frustrating for us early adopters who believed in nissan’s “good for the planet” advertising. Planned obsolescence does not serve that cause.

Seems to me there are simple software solutions that can be applied cheaply.
1. Allow the heater to be on while the car is plugged into an L2 EVSE
2. Allow ventilation with the heater turned off. Very useful in spring and fall to extend range.
3. Allow the app to preheat via the Bluetooth connection.

Use OVMS. Stanton has a really informative thread here:
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32715

Long ago, I paid Nissan $200 to replace the 2G TCU modem with the 3G one, and EV Connect still was a useless service. OVMS looks to be a great improvement on it for nearly the same price. I wouldn't expect Nissan to do anything at all at this point; they'd rather sell you a new car.

LeftieBiker said:

This is already true of the 2013+ Leafs. You can't do it with the Japan-built Gen I?

You can turn on a 2011 and then run the heater or A/C with the EVSE plugged in and charging by pressing the brake pedal and then pressing the start button. The car will not go into READY mode, but it will allow the HVAC system to run while charging as long as the battery is above some threshold. It has been almost 7 years, but I think I remember the steps correctly. I know I did it when I could not get CarWings to work on occasion. The heater will draw a little more than the EVSE charging current until the heater loop liquid system gets warm.

Hello,
Have called customer service, posted on their FB page and basically this is how communications have gone.

Don Thompson
Hello,
My 2011 upgraded TCU will stop working in 2 months and I'm wondering what is happening?
It is essential that I can preheat the car while plugged into power in the winter months.
Surely Nissan is not going to abandon support for us early adopters who wish to continue driving their Leaf.

Nissan
Hello, Don. We recently responded to your Private Message and ask that you refer to your inbox for further support. Thank you.

Don Thompson
Nissan - well that would be fine BUT, my inbox is empty and my vehicle can no longer be managed. I no longer receive charging notifications via text.

I got this message later:

Good morning Don, NissanConnect Services' telematics program will be affected by AT&T’s decision to discontinue its 3G cellular network. On February 22, 2022, all Nissan vehicles equipped with telematics hardware compatible for use with the 3G cellular network will be unable to connect to the 3G network and unable to access the NissanConnect Services features. Customers who are not already enrolled in a trial or subscription after June 1, 2021, will not able to access the available services. The decision to discontinue 3G network coverage was not made by Nissan, nor is it in Nissan's control. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you, Sadie
Today at 8:40 am
8:40 am
You sent
Sadie, I realize that Nissan does not control AT&T. I also realize that Nissan can make changes to the Leaf software to allow the heater to run when plugged into an L2 EVSE. Nissan could also upgrade the TCU to LTE service. Nissan could also allow the Nissan app Bluetooth control of the climate control via software. Nissan could also allow the climate control to be on with the heater off for ventilation via software. There are quite a few things Nissan could do to address the issues besides scapegoating AT&T for their lack of initiative.

GerryAZ said:
LeftieBiker said:

This is already true of the 2013+ Leafs. You can't do it with the Japan-built Gen I?

You can turn on a 2011 and then run the heater or A/C with the EVSE plugged in and charging by pressing the brake pedal and then pressing the start button. The car will not go into READY mode, but it will allow the HVAC system to run while charging as long as the battery is above some threshold. It has been almost 7 years, but I think I remember the steps correctly. I know I did it when I could not get CarWings to work on occasion. The heater will draw a little more than the EVSE charging current until the heater loop liquid system gets warm.

Not in my experience, I have tried everything but the heater will not draw current while plugged into an L2 EVSE. It will work while charging via L3.

Back