SPX 32A L2 Plug-In, All-Voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was able to charge with the unit at 120V(see page 11) that unit was subsequently RMA'd. Admittedly I only needed about an hour worth of charge and did not use timers. Is it possible the issue is with the timers on the leaf? If I remember correctly so far the leaf has had trouble charging with timers with the blink, the upgraded Panasonic with Volt mod, this SPX unit, and the Schneider electric unit. I don't know if anyone has tried to use the SPX voltec unit with timers.

garygid said:
So, any idea what is wrong with the SPX EVSE?

And, are they going to fix it?
Probably nothing. The pilot signal handshake is supposed to be a bi-directional, multi step process.

EVSE sends out 12V pilot signal through 1k resistor.
Car grounds pilot through 2.7k resistor, signal drops to 9 Volts
EVSE begins 1kHz duty cycle +12 to -12 Volt generator signaling available current
EVSE checks for +9 Volt to -12 Volt square wave (car, not kid)
Car checks that EVSE current is sufficient (60 x duty cycle % = available current)
If sufficient, car parallels 1.3k resistor with 2.7k for 882 Ohm load
Pilot signal drops to +6 to -12 Volt square wave
EVSE closes power relay

I don’t think the SPX likes going straight to the 882 Ohm load, and I think I read that it has a time-out. It does not like my J1772 to NEMA 14-50 adapter either. No Oscope so can’t prove it.

KeiJidosha said:
garygid said:
So, any idea what is wrong with the SPX EVSE?

And, are they going to fix it?
Probably nothing. The pilot signal handshake is supposed to be a bi-directional, multi step process.

EVSE begins 1kHz duty cycle +12 to -12 Volt generator signaling available current
Car checks that EVSE current is sufficient (60 x duty cycle % = available current)
EVSE closes power relay

I don’t think the SPX likes going straight to the 882 Ohm load, and I think I read that it has a time-out. It does not like my J1772 to NEMA 14-50 adapter either. No Oscope so can’t prove it.

When the timer's on, and in standby, the car goes from 2.7K -> 882 and then back to 2.7K until the time comes to start charging. It then switches back to 882. If you want to test for bugs in the firmware, you can just hook up the resistors (w/ a series diode), and step in through the EV states to see if a particular sequence trips it up.

KeiJidosha said:

EVSE closes power relay

I've got a scope. I'm in San Jose, CA. PM me if you'd like to get together with a scope.

Just connect a 900 ohm (or 1k ohm) resistor from the J1772 nozzle's CP pin to the GND pin, and see if the SPX gags.

If the EVSE goes to an error state, its "9v" firmware test needs to be modified to allow (approximately) 5v to 10v (instead of just 8v to 10v) along with the (approx.) -11v or more negative.

garygid said:
Just connect a 900 ohm (or 1k ohm) resistor from the J1772 nozzle's CP pin to the GND pin, and see if the SPX gags.

If the EVSE goes to an error state, its "9v" firmware test needs to be modified to allow (approximately) 5v to 10v (instead of just 8v to 10v) along with the (approx.) -11v or more negative.
Don't forget the Diode, Gary! :D

What's funny about all this, is how many incompatibilities there are among all these supposedly "standardized" devices. There's all kinds of ways to get it wrong! Seems many companies are a little creative about how they interpret the standard.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
What's funny about all this, is how many incompatibilities there are among all these supposedly "standardized" devices. There's all kinds of ways to get it wrong! Seems many companies are a little creative about how they interpret the standard.

-Phil
The saying used to be:
The great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from!

For EVSE, it seems more like:
The great thing about a standard is there are so many (incompatible) ways to interpret it!

I have had my SPX a few weeks and now twice I have got the "ground monitor interrupted" error where the status light on the SPX blinks red.

I also get the yellow master warning light on my car dash along with the EV system warning light. After starting it a few times, the lights disappear. I can charge the car with my other EVSE just fine.

The first time this happened, I just went back to using the SPX and it worked fine for two weeks. Now the error again.

Has anyone seen this error?

UPDATE: I think the problem was my wall plug. I would set the car plug on top of the wall plug when not in use. I think that interrupted power causing a glitch. Now, I set the car plug elsewhere and there is no issue after a month. Problem solved. Buy a cable holder since one is not included is the take away here.

On the side of the EVSE, I'd probably check the ground continuity with a multimeter first to rule out an electrical problem on the supply circuit, then, clean the J1772 connectors with a compressed air can just to be sure there isn't anything foreign there that would interrupt the ground connection; At last, contact Nissan about the warning lights, they may be able to retrieve the error codes and tell you what they are saying.

FYI - SPX Introductory Pricing on the Power Xpress EL-50600 will be ending on October 1, 2011. All orders placed on or before September 30th will be fulfilled at the $749 introductory price. Call 877-805-EVSE (877-805-3873) before October 1 to take advantage of the introductory pricing.

Barth
SPX EV Support

Good to know... So, for 2012, as the tax credit of 30% ends, instead of lowering the prices for the EVSE, SPX is going to increase them?

Awesome marketing strategy!..... :|

smkettner said:
I would not be surprised if the price drops $100+ by January.

they will need to stay competitive, the Schnieder is $729 from Home Depot online, the Aerovironment EVSE-RS has been on eBay for a few months now, for between $500-$700 (from the same seller), the Leviton is not too much more, etc. So there's limits to the pricing, no matter what they say :)

SPXEVSupport said:
FYI - SPX Introductory Pricing on the Power Xpress EL-50600 will be ending on October 1, 2011. All orders placed on or before September 30th will be fulfilled at the $749 introductory price. Call 877-805-EVSE (877-805-3873) before October 1 to take advantage of the introductory pricing.

Barth
SPX EV Support
Barth, are you fixing your firmware glitches? Including a holder for the J1772 cord & head?

mitch672 said:
smkettner said:

they will need to stay competitive, the Schnieder is $729 from Home Depot online, the Aerovironment EVSE-RS has been on eBay for a few months now, for between $500-$700 (from the same seller), the Leviton is not too much more, etc. So there's limits to the pricing, no matter what they say :)

Actually (not sure how much longer) the Schneider is $679 + free shipping at HD (check out Schneider thread) with $50 'coupon' that includes it as an 'appliance' -- it's definitely not portable but has a small footprint and decent support from Schneider -- as more competition gets there (as well as higher volumes) I think it should drive the price down -- also remember that unless it gets renewed the 30% tax credit on these will expire at year end as well.

redLEAF said:
mitch672 said:
smkettner said:

Actually (not sure how much longer) the Schneider is $679 + free shipping at HD (check out Schneider thread) with $50 'coupon' that includes it as an 'appliance' -- it's definitely not portable but has a small footprint and decent support from Schneider -- as more competition gets there (as well as higher volumes) I think it should drive the price down -- also remember that unless it gets renewed the 30% tax credit on these will expire at year end as well.

Yup, I used the $50 coupon on mine, but then add in the %6.25 MA sales tax brought it back up, so we are still talking in the low $700's for most people after tax. I agree, eventually these should be in the $200-$300 range, whats keeping them pricey is the J-1772 connector & cable assembly pricing, and of course the UL listing, and that pesky "profit" thing :)

Barth,

1. Do you offer a 25-foot cord yet, or just the 16-foot?

2. Has the firmware "glitch" been fixed?

3. Does this EVSE work over the 90v to 270v range?

4. If so, why does the sticker on the unit itself only indicate (essentially) "240v" operation?

It appears that you have a great unit, except for the small problems/limitations above.

How much are extra mounting plates, to "nicely" use the EVSE at different locations?

I have been waiting almost a year for this wonderfully flexible EVSE, however I am still waiting for resolution of the above issues. Raising the price will probably reduce sales volume, right?

Thanks, Gary

Back