SPX 32A L2 Plug-In, All-Voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometime in late May, my SPX started misbehaving. Within a fraction of a second of plugging it in to the Leaf, the SPX would throw a fault (status light red) and of course it would not charge the car. However, this wouldn’t happen all the time, and after a few repeated resets and plug-ins, the status light would stay yellow, and the car would charge overnight. Over the weeks, this progressed to the SPX faulting, not only when I plugged it in 9 of 10 times, but if pluggin it in was successful, then also upon the Leaf’s timer starting ( I got up at midnight a couple times and watched it happen). So I’m back on the Nissan-supplied 120V unit, which works perfectly.

I’ve been working with the SPX tech help folks, who've decided to replace the Power Xpress unit under warranty. The replacement arrived yesterday and hopefully it will be installed this week.

Oh, and some mysterious corrosion-like stuff has grown on the inside of the SPX plug. The pins seem unaffected but I can’t tell what might be going on inside the plug handle. Here's a picture I sent the SPX techs:
IMG_3043web.jpg

The new Power Xpress unit was installed without incident and is charging the Leaf as it should. UPS will be picking up the old defective unit on SPX's dime.

Some day I will test the ability of the new unit to charge the Leaf with the end timer only setting, but not right now -- I'm just glad to have the 240 volt optin back.

garygid said:
They do not seem interested in fixing this bug.

It seems your are correct. SPX sales tried suggesting they have done installs for several LEAF owners and the SPX unit works fine on the LEAF. I pointed them to a handful of posts here showing the end-timer issue.

I think I'm done with SPX for now. I have to go through them to see a $2500 incentive from my utility. They want to charge me a couple hundred bucks out of my pocket in addition to the $2500 that my utility contributes (for the EVSE, to pull 18ft of copper to my garage from my unfinished basement, install a 240V 40A breaker, and install a separate meter). It's outrageous. Any other electrician would do this job for well under $1000.

Then the downside is I have to sign a 2 year contract. If I move or anything within 2 years, I have to give back the EVSE and pay my utility the cost of installation. And then on top of that, I'm left with a EVSE that doesn't do end-timer charges (something I really would want for the winter).

I think I'm going to just run my own copper, install my own breaker, pay the higher standard residential rates, and just get an EVSE upgrade or build my own OpenEVSE unit.

kubel said:
I think I'm done with SPX for now. I have to go through them to see a $2500 incentive from my utility. They want to charge me a couple hundred bucks out of my pocket in addition to the $2500 that my utility contributes (for the EVSE, to pull 18ft of copper to my garage from my unfinished basement, install a 240V 40A breaker, and install a separate meter). ...
Is the $2500 supposed to cover the EVSE as well? If so, then the install price is really $1500 plus the money they are asking for...not too bad considering you're working through a middleman instead of directly with the installer. My almost identical Blink install was done for around $1300, which just happened to fit within the allowances Blink and the utility allotted for the install of the EVSE and second meter.

Anyway, getting the EVSE and the install for only $200 bucks out of pocket sounds like a no-brainer to me, unless moving is a real possibility.

Can you really order a 32A EVSE from SPX?? While their spec sheet says it needs to be ordered configured for 32A ... they were _mighty_ slippery and evasive on the phone (both sales and tech support) when I asked to buy it. Sounds like 24A is their HONEST max.

This flim-flam totally soured me on their charger, which I liked because of the adjustable max current, useful if you are going to carry it with you and plug it in somewhere.

I'll probably just go with the Schneider unit at $799 (list) at Home Depot and get an HONEST 30A, from a straighforward and honest company. No frills, but I haven't seen any complaints about it. It's also less expensive (list).

[The new version Leaf has a 6.6 kW charger, and I'm assuming it will draw 30A max (which at 220V is 6600 watts). Honda Fit-EV w a 6.6kW charger says max 32A (which at 220V is more like 7kW, one driver has reported seeing a 7.2kW draw from his 40A EVSE).

I guess the trend will only be to higher amperage chargers ... as it would be really nice to be able to drive for longer than the charge takes (highway speeds). Maybe steps closer to CHaDEMO?

srl99 said:
Can you really order a 32A EVSE from SPX?? While their spec sheet says it needs to be ordered configured for 32A ... they were _mighty_ slippery and evasive on the phone (both sales and tech support) when I asked to buy it. Sounds like 24A is their HONEST max. ...
The cable is the limiting factor. It is only rated for 30a. For some reason only known to SPX, they didn't build the EVSE to that limit, instead using 32a as the highest setting, and 24a as the highest setting under 30a. Personally, I don't think those last two amps are going to be a problem for that cable, and would just set it for 32a...or buy a different product as you're doing.

I can't tell you how helpful this thread has been. At first, I was dead set on getting an SPX and make my modified Nissan EVSE a backup; between some of the issues in this thread (like faulty end-timer operation) and them actually RAISING the price, I started to look at others (like Leviton). I don't need/can't use anything beyond 16A, so I may not end up buying a second EVSE until they ALL drop their prices (or discontinue some 3.3kWh models).

"For some reason" ... the reason is to rank higher than you deserve in a spec comparison. [Spinal Tap "our amps go to 11, that's one more than anyone else".]

The problem is SPX's dishonesty. I might have bought an honest 24A portable EVSE. For me ... the spec that matters is accomplishing a full charge in under 7H (off-peak rates).

I don't have any use for a dishonest EVSE (vendor).

BTW - to your point 16A at 240V might be fast enough (evseupgrade) ... is it worth an extra $600-950 for 24A (MAX - ignore the spec's).

davewill said:
srl99 said:
Can you really order a 32A EVSE from SPX?? While their spec sheet says it needs to be ordered configured for 32A ... they were _mighty_ slippery and evasive on the phone (both sales and tech support) when I asked to buy it. Sounds like 24A is their HONEST max. ...
The cable is the limiting factor. It is only rated for 30a. For some reason only known to SPX, they didn't build the EVSE to that limit, instead using 32a as the highest setting, and 24a as the highest setting under 30a. Personally, I don't think those last two amps are going to be a problem for that cable, and would just set it for 32a...or buy a different product as you're doing.

If you have a 2013 and you think you will use a portable a lot and you have 30 amps at that remote spot I would very likely choose SPX over evse upgrade.

For home use I recommend Schneider or Leviton. You will easily get a 100% charge in the 7 hour window even on 16a Leviton 160 and half that time with Schneider or Leviton 320. I prefer using the end timer so SPX would be out for home use.

Consider the OPenEVSE. With the latest Beta with the button menu enabled you can select any current from 6A to 80A.

I have been rolling my own lately but the boards that I purchased from Chris Howell continue to work.

The most expensive item for me was the 30A 240V cable. It was about $280n shipped since I had to pay sales tax. On my portable unit I found a 16A cable on Ebay for $130.

Thanks - I will check this out.

I'm not buying anything from SPX - you get to see the "best" of a vendor before they have your money. And their best isn't even good. Step one - delete the note in the spec's about 32A capable, and then be upfront if someone asks about 32A.

GlennD said:
Consider the OPenEVSE. With the latest Beta with the button menu enabled you can select any current from 6A to 80A.

I have been rolling my own lately but the boards that I purchased from Chris Howell continue to work.

The most expensive item for me was the 30A 240V cable. It was about $280n shipped since I had to pay sales tax. On my portable unit I found a 16A cable on Ebay for $130.

srl99 said:
...I'm not buying anything from SPX - you get to see the "best" of a vendor before they have your money. And their best isn't even good. Step one - delete the note in the spec's about 32A capable, and then be upfront if someone asks about 32A...
So my concern now is if the REMA REV-1-30C Type 3R connector used on the SPX Power Express is the same connector as Blink is using? Label rating is 240 Volt, 30 Amp. Blink experience makes me reconsider if this is optimistic.

leaf4me said:
My SPX Power Express works fine with my LEAF except that it will not work when only setting an end timer. It seems like that is one of the best ways to charge, so it is disappointing that this does not work.
I had the charger reprogramming (P3227?) done yesterday on my LEAF. One of the listed enhancements was correcting some incompatibilities with some EVSEs. Guess what? Setting just an end timer now works fine with my SPX Power Express! :D

leaf4me said:
leaf4me said:
My SPX Power Express works fine with my LEAF except that it will not work when only setting an end timer. It seems like that is one of the best ways to charge, so it is disappointing that this does not work.
I had the charger reprogramming (P3227?) done yesterday on my LEAF. One of the listed enhancements was correcting some incompatibilities with some EVSEs. Guess what? Setting just an end timer now works fine with my SPX Power Express! :D

Good to know! Thanks for posting. :)

Got my SPX Power Xpress back from firmware update today. It now works with the RAV4 and the LEAF end timer, without the charger update for the LEAF. :D

1068927_10151703497243704_490769365_n.jpg

pchilds said:
Got my SPX Power Xpress back from firmware update today. It now works with the RAV4 and the LEAF end timer, without the charger update for the LEAF. :D

So what you're trying to say is it wasn't Nissan's fault. Now I'm beginning to wonder why it took SPX this long to "fix" it. I almost bought one of these 2 years ago before I read here that it did NOT work with an "end timer" (which is what I use). I suppose I could reconsider if the price ever comes down.

KeiJidosha said:
srl99 said:
...I'm not buying anything from SPX - you get to see the "best" of a vendor before they have your money. And their best isn't even good. Step one - delete the note in the spec's about 32A capable, and then be upfront if someone asks about 32A...
So my concern now is if the REMA REV-1-30C Type 3R connector used on the SPX Power Express is the same connector as Blink is using? Label rating is 240 Volt, 30 Amp. Blink experience makes me reconsider if this is optimistic.
Received a letter dated May 29, 2015 from Bosch, who now owns the ongoing support responsibility for the SPX Power Xpress EVSE. They confirm the Power Xpress is designed to charge at up to 32 amps. And, if you are using it to charge at 30 amps or above, they will supply a new "Cable/Coupler" at no charge, and will pay for a BOSCH certified electrical contractor to install the new "Cable/Coupler".
If you are using an SPX Power Xpress, you should contact BOSCH at (888) 823-9877 9-6 EST M-F if you have questions.

Stanton said:
So what you're trying to say is it wasn't Nissan's fault. Now I'm beginning to wonder why it took SPX this long to "fix" it. I almost bought one of these 2 years ago before I read here that it did NOT work with an "end timer" (which is what I use). I suppose I could reconsider if the price ever comes down.
It's probably not that cut and dried. The interaction isn't defined all that well, and Nissan and SPX probably just made different assumptions. Plainly Nissan WAS able to fix it on their end, and we know that the LEAF was working with other EVSEs.

Back