SPX 32A L2 Plug-In, All-Voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
um kubel why would you let you power company pull a fast one on you schneider has been around over a hundred years and is a well known world wide electical supplier.spx has been nothing but problems and borders on unethical practices! when I got my leaf I turned down the blink and the av and installed a schneider. ps have another 12 schneiders installed commercially for our local charging net work!! worth every penny and they work EVERY time first time.

Still having no problems with my SPX unit a year later. Not sure exactly what Bryan is upset about, could you list the problems you've had and what bordered on fraud? Both companies are over a hundred years old. Schneider is a French company vs SPX being from North Carolina. ;) I do not use the charge timer. The issue was found over a year ago so I would hope they have addressed it. Have you tried calling SPX tech support and asking? If you need to use the timer function on the Leaf the SPX may not work for you. I bought mine primarily so I could take it on the road easily. There weren't/aren't many portable water tight 32A capable units for me to pick from though.

bryan38401 said:
spx has been nothing but problems and borders on fraud!

You may want to cite examples or retract your libelous statement. I've been using my all-voltage for almost a year with no problems. I don't use timers.

Also probably a good idea to disclose any business relationships you have with Schneider or SPX.

Full disclosure: I have no business relations to any EVSE manufacturer.

ok past business with spx april 2010 need evses bad paid my hefty fee to become certified installer( dont know why im LICENSED)added insurance to some ungodly amount and jumped throught there hoops guess what NO PRODUCT,so I wanted my money back I mean you want me to pay to be certified to install your product ,you had better have a product.went to 2 of there offices there where ups mail stores.so you pick which business practice this falls under.ive had 2 customers who purchased these products and they will not pass an electricial inspection in tennessee because they are not ul listed ,there wording could be misunderstood???as for full disclosure I install,sell and service SQ D/ Schneider,ge, eaton,seimans,av and nissan branded eq.my intention was to find out why a power company would steer some towards an non ul listed product. I mean I love the idea of phils upgrade or some thing like it, that would be the bomb it just does not legally exsist. nec code is very clear on that just ask blink they had to go back and hard wire alot of there first installs.now off a generator who cares code does not apply!!

SPX seems to hail to GM and will give no support to others.
Not a company I would do business with either.
If you have a VOLT fine otherwise forgetaboutit.
JMHO.

bryan38401 said:
ok past business with spx april 2010 need evses bad paid my hefty fee to become certified installer( dont know why im LICENSED)added insurance to some ungodly amount and jumped throught there hoops guess what NO PRODUCT,so I wanted my money back I mean you want me to pay to be certified to install your product ,you had better have a product.went to 2 of there offices there where ups mail stores.so you pick which business practice this falls under.ive had 2 customers who purchased these products and they will not pass an electricial inspection in tennessee because they are not ul listed ,there wording could be misunderstood???as for full disclosure I install,sell and service SQ D/ Schneider,ge, eaton,seimans,av and nissan branded eq.my intention was to find out why a power company would steer some towards an non ul listed product. I mean I love the idea of phils upgrade or some thing like it, that would be the bomb it just does not legally exsist. nec code is very clear on that just ask blink they had to go back and hard wire alot of there first installs.now off a generator who cares code does not apply!!

I'm sorry to say it, but your grammar and spelling make this post very difficult to understand...

amtoro said:
bryan38401 said:

I'm sorry to say it, but your grammar and spelling make this post very difficult to understand...

+1. Is he using speech-to-text ?

bryan38401 said:
ok past business with spx april 2010 need evses bad paid my hefty fee to become certified installer...
So you have an ax to grind and it has nothing to do with being a consumer of the product.

smkettner said:
JMHO.

They seem to hail to my utility company too. DTE is having an SPX rep call me to discuss compatibility concerns.

So can everyone who has an SPX unit still confirm end timer issues? Start timer works fine?

When the SPX unit was first installed, I had my issue with it not charging the Leaf if only the Leaf's end timer was set, so I now use a start time also. I haven't bothered to follow up on this, so I assume that for my hard-wired SPX unit, the problem still exists.

BUT, I now have a new charging problem, which may or may not be SPX related. Last Wednesday (May 30th) I took the Leaf in for it's one year battery check plus software update (and over-priced tire rotation & cabin filter replacement, but that's a different issue). When I went back to the dealer to pick it up, it was charging on their AeroV unit. Topping off the tank, so-to-speak. Thursday night, it charged okay, but Friday night, no charging. When I noticed this on Saturday morning, I saw the SPX's red fault light was on. I can reset the fault okay, but 9 times out of 10 when I plug it into the Leaf, it immediately goes into fault mode and won't charge.

I can't see anything physically wrong with either the Leaf's port or the SPX's plug, but I noticed that now I have to sort of angle the plug to the upper right to get it to both plug in and stay un-faulted.

So, did the person at the dealer who plugged in my car bend a pin a bit, or might this be some sort of new condition introduced by the software update? Or did some insect crawl into the SPX plug and smear it up with bug juice (none noted btw, but it was also dark outside)? When I have time, sunlight, and a magnifying glass I will check more thoroughly.

Same here with my SPX, I tried charging with just an end timer last night and the car didn't charge.

kubel said:
smkettner said:
JMHO.

They seem to hail to my utility company too. DTE is having an SPX rep call me to discuss compatibility concerns.

So can everyone who has an SPX unit still confirm end timer issues? Start timer works fine?

I purchased my SPX Oct 2011. Had it installed with a plug to a dedicated 40amp circuit. (wired gage is for 50 amp). SPX is jumper for 30amp. With only 3.3 kw charger who needs 32? I use the start timer set for 11:30 every day. do not use a stop time. I have never had a problem with my SPX. But I only charge about three times a week to 80%.

It is not uncommon for me to plug in and override the timer, still no problem. The only problem I've had is sometimes I don't insert the plug correctly and get the button to click. And until it clicks It will not show "connected". All in all I have been happy with my SPX power express. I can't comment on their customer service as I've never had to call them.

My SPX Power Express works fine with my LEAF except that it will not work when only setting an end timer. It seems like that is one of the best ways to charge, so it is disappointing that this does not work.

garygid said:
They do not seem interested in fixing this bug.

Which is why I finally took it off my EVSE "watch list". If/when the Leviton 16A unit ever drops to a reasonable price (like <$500), I might pick one up as a home unit and make the Nissan one a backup.

smkettner said:
I wonder if the LEAF request for power is just slightly different for end timer only.
Some fraction of a second to connect is slightly off.
The LEAF, when waiting for any timer, always turns on the power for a few seconds, then turns it off. This is is undoubtedly how the LEAF finds out whether it's attached to 120v, 208v, or 240v. In the case of an end only timer, this is needed along with the pilot signal, to calculate the time needed to charge. It's probably also used to allow Carwings to know whether to display the "normal" or "trickle" icon. I'd guess that the SPX doesn't respond properly (probably too slow?) to this song and dance, leaving the LEAF without a way to know when to start...but I'm just guessing.

I don't think Leaf reads the pilot signal when the initial plug in test is completed. It would seem to just check voltage.

I say this because my Leaf will use the extended time estimate from charging at 12a 240v (V1 upgrade) even when I plug in at home to the 30a Schneider. The pilot signal only changes the start time after it has actually charged very briefly.

I still think LEAF must be doing something slightly different with end timer only. It would seem the SPX evse would react the same either way.

Back