Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
palmermd said:
Here is a quick little demo of the new pedestals that will be replacing the temporary ones that have the cable out in the open.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHpC-px2kSM[/youtube]
Now it's just a matter of time before the first S owner gets stuck because the @#$%^&* door won't open! Perhaps we should start a pool - do we go just for the date, or should we also include location? :lol:

GRA said:
palmermd said:
Here is a quick little demo of the new pedestals that will be replacing the temporary ones that have the cable out in the open.

Now it's just a matter of time before the first S owner gets stuck because the @#$%^&* door won't open! Perhaps we should start a pool - do we go just for the date, or should we also include location? :lol:

I'll take that bet vs the LEAF owner that gets stuck because the Blink QC is malfunctioning.

gaswalla said:
GRA said:
palmermd said:

I'll take that bet vs the LEAF owner that gets stuck because the Blink QC is malfunctioning.
No bookie will give you odds on that, it's a sure thing! :roll:

palmermd said:
FYI: My Tesla contact says you'll only see that design on the units that are embedded into the fancy solar array structure, at least for now. In other words, expect to see multiple types of pedestals to co-exist for quite a while.

A couple of Model S spotted supercharging in Gilroy:
attachment.php

(I did not take the photo, just cross-posting it...)

So, there are 2 superchargers within ~150 miles of there, and were both being used, with only a few hundred S's on the roads in CA?

I wonder how reliable the Tesla network will be when and if there are the planned tens of thousands of S's on CA roads?

Does Tesla:

Have the ability to place dozens of Chargers in each location?

Plan to take reservations for chargers?

Plan to limit the parking/charging time?

"Free" charging is a gimmick that will prove very costly to either Tesla, or S drivers, very soon.

There is a reason we use market forces and pricing mechanisms to ration most goods and services.

It works.

edatoakrun said:
So, there are 2 superchargers within ~150 miles of there, and were both being used, with only a few hundred S's on the roads in CA?

I wonder how reliable the Tesla network will be when and if there are the planned tens of thousands of S's on CA roads?
It's a good question.
edatoakrun said:
Have the ability to place dozens of Chargers in each location?
Not dozens, but most will have 6 charging spots.
edatoakrun said:
Plan to take reservations for chargers?
Not that anyone is aware of.
edatoakrun said:
Plan to limit the parking/charging time?
Not that anyone is aware of.
edatoakrun said:
"Free" charging is a gimmick that will prove very costly to either Tesla, or S drivers, very soon.
We will find out soon enough. But as can be seen in the picture, despite there being thousands more L2 capable cars (LEAFs, Volts, PiPs primarily) on the road, there were none using the Chargepoints (presumably not free) in the background.

="drees"...despite there being thousands more L2 capable cars (LEAFs, Volts, PiPs primarily) on the road, there were none using the Chargepoints (presumably not free) in the background.

Which, IMO. is just further evidence that the large subsidies in public L2 have been largely a waste. Public L2 is too expensive and inconvenient for PHEVs, and too slow and undependable for BEVs.

Put Superchargers and CHAdeMOs side by side at a Freeway location in the outer Bay Area (such as Gilroy, Livermore, or Vacaville) and charge a fee based on any reasonable assumption of that that will be required by a for-profit charging operation, once a significant number of BEVs are on the roads.

I think the CHAdeMOs would see as lot more use today, and in all foreseeable future BEV fleet developments.

drees said:
...But as can be seen in the picture, despite there being thousands more L2 capable cars (LEAFs, Volts, PiPs primarily) on the road, there were none using the Chargepoints (presumably not free) in the background.

Not ChargePoint... SemaConnect SemaCharge....
http://www.semacharge.com/stations/106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Payment Required : Yes
Payment Type : Semacharge Pass
Max : $2 per Hour
Min : $2 per Hour

---

Free high speed charging vs $2/hr low speed charging? Guess which is more popular?

Tony, do you know why the it's not included? is it a chemistry thing? the main reason we have scratched the RAV4 from our list is lack of quick charging. up here, at this point, CHADeMO would be the most convenient, though Tesla's design and solar stations are very impressive, it's just going to take they a while to be populated in the NW.

TonyWilliams said:
surfingslovak said:
TEG said:
A couple of Model S spotted supercharging in Gilroy...
Very cool!

Drool... must... get.... DC... charge... on.... Rav4 !!!

edatoakrun said:
Which, IMO. is just further evidence that the large subsidies in public L2 have been largely a waste. Public L2 is too expensive and inconvenient for PHEVs, and too slow and undependable for BEVs.
I'll agree that it has been a waste, but not for the reasons you state. My gripe is how many thousands of dollars are spent for putting in a single EVSE. What they should have done is found all of the businesses that were willing to give free charging to their customers and simply installed a regular "dumb" EVSE like the one I have in my garage. Even though they are overpriced, I'm willing to bet $800 per EVSE would be much cheaper than those Blink and Chargepoint units. Not only that, be they'd be more likely to actually WORK when somebody needs them to. Also there would be much less overhead in the maintenance of these stations and dealing in the communications networks, etc.

GaslessInSeattle said:
Tony, do you know why the it's not included? is it a chemistry thing? the main reason we have scratched the RAV4 from our list is lack of quick charging. up here, at this point, CHADeMO would be the most convenient, though Tesla's design and solar stations are very impressive, it's just going to take they a while to be populated in the NW.

nope...its an "agreement" thing. Toyota decided to band against their #1 competition in Japan EV market and go with the "others" in this yet to be realized "other" quick charge standard. As we all know, Tesla has gone off on its own.

as far as chemistry? nah, its not all the same but its all close enough to where there are only minor changes in capacities for taking charges and so on.

adric22 said:
...My gripe is how many thousands of dollars are spent for putting in a single EVSE. What they should have done is found all of the businesses that were willing to give free charging to their customers and simply installed a regular "dumb" EVSE like the one I have in my garage...

That is what they did in the late 1990s with the last generation (of NiMH EVs) like Ford RangerEV, (old)RAV4EV, EV1, EV+, etc.
Basically all of the public stations were free to use.
This time around they are doing things differently with various companies trying to make a business model out of it.

One problem with the old system was that a lot of the EVSEs would fall into disrepair, and grassroots volunteer efforts needed to form to keep (some of them) working over the years. If a commercial model ends up being viable then at least someone will maintain them.

Drive From LA to NY as Tesla Triples Its Network

The move means Tesla will go from 9 supercharging stations to 27 stations by the end of June.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/drive-la-ny-tesla-triples-052221574.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back