Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
Which is why I mentioned that Tesla owners can afford more choice in their living arrangements, including choosing to live in locations which will install or allow to be installed L2 EVSEs.

The Condo market is in free-fall where I live, so it doesn't make sense to buy now.

GRA said:
Model S/X owners are a desirable demographic, so don't you think property owners will accomodate them?

I am a Model S owner, but some properties I've approached consider being EV friendly more trouble than it's worth. Again, I don't live in California where EVs are common.

A local Auto columnist had been renting the same property in an upscale Condo community in Florida for years. Well, this year he got his hands on an ELR to review. After getting the Superintendents permission, he plugged the ELR into a 120 volt outlet in the garage. Soon after, he got notice of a "violation," and was called before Owner's association where they flatly denied him the option of plugging in the ELR. This even after he offered to well overpay the cost of the electricity. To top it off, they've put him on an "undesirable" list and refused him future leases at the property. This is far from the only case of undue hostility towards plug-in drivers in Florida.

GRA said:
Of course, for those that won't and the potential Tesla owner doesn't have the option of moving, a Tesla (or other BEV) is a poor choice. An ICE/HEV or maybe an FCEV eventually makes more sense for them.

It can be inconvenient for me to recharge, but I'd rather die than drive an ICE. Some people wouldn't want to live with the inconvenience, I understand. However, when you have a Supercharger in town there's little or no trouble refueling when compared to visiting gas stations. I don't see how you can make a blanket statement about an EV being a poor choice without access to home charging.

It makes a lot of sense to get people off ICE in cities. (Mass transit may be better option than EVs, but that's another story).

The Tesla Supercharger Network was never designed for locals. It was designed to enable city to city travel and that is what it should be used for.

KJD said:
The Tesla Supercharger Network was never designed for locals. It was designed to enable city to city travel and that is what it should be used for.

They have three in Beijing, two in Shanghai and two in Hong Kong. It even looks like all nine current Asian installations are designed for locals.

KJD said:
can you cite an "official" source that generated that comment?

apvbguy said:
KJD said:
can you cite an "official" source that generated that comment?
Discussed at TMC at length many times. Various people point to sources. Imagine travelers queued up behind locals. That would have a variety of problems some of which would include PR fallout. Not everyplace on the planet has the same living conditions and "home charging options" as the USA tho so TM will need to adjust.

a lot of "talk" but no OFFICIAL "cite" from tesla. not that I am advocating local cheapskates relying on SCs but I am against some of the draconian methods of limiting the usage of SCs that have been bandied about here

apvbguy said:
a lot of "talk" but no OFFICIAL "cite" from tesla. not that I am advocating local cheapskates relying on SCs but I am against some of the draconian methods of limiting the usage of SCs that have been bandied about here
I think for local charging the Tesla chademo adapter should be used at the chademo stations.

WARNING This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm

scottf200 said:
I think for local charging the Tesla chademo adapter should be used at the chademo stations.
what are you talking about? do you have the adapter from tesla that allows chademo charging on a tesla? if yes you are the only one who has it

apvbguy said:
scottf200 said:
what are you talking about? do you have the adapter from tesla that allows chademo charging on a tesla? if yes you are the only one who has it
Variety of beta tester sightings in the USA and other countries. One mentioned in a recent evtv article.

Some questions about chademo charger quality being able to handle a high kW rate for a long period of time. [Makes me wonder if causing the adapter release delay.] LEAF and other chademo med-high kW charging is for a pretty short duration before it tapers down.

I saw that a Model S owner used a CHADeMO adapter @ the new CHADeMO/Combo plug station in Middlebury, VT recently.

Mottyski82 said:
I saw that a Model S owner used a CHADeMO adapter @ the new CHADeMO/Combo plug station in Middlebury, VT recently.
interesting, considering the tesla hasn't sold a single converter, maybe he was a beta tester

abasile said:
Maybe the solution is to allow a certain amount (kWh) and frequency of local Supercharging, then charge a bank card for the "excess".
Exactly. They should implement pay-for-use policy with a certain amount that would be free.

This would be something like what cable companies do with internet use. Only top 2% of users would get affected because of "excess" usage - in which they get an extra bill to pay.

This would still keep the "free for life" charging - and Tesla can point out that a few rotten apples are misusing their superchargers and denying people who really need to charge the opportunity to charge.

GRA said:
The problem will come in when they try to sell the Model III against competition - adding $2k up front to the price of a $70k car isn't that big a deal to the typical buyer, but adding it to the price of a $35k car is a lot more significant, especially when competing against ICEs/HEVs/PHEVs, and potentially FCEVs.
LOL. You do have a good sense of humor - even though you don't know about it ;)

For anyone interested the the build process: http://ecomento.com/2014/08/13/building-a-tesla-supercharger-in-seven-minutes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair warning, turn down your volume if you don't like banjo music!

evnow said:
abasile said:
Maybe the solution is to allow a certain amount (kWh) and frequency of local Supercharging, then charge a bank card for the "excess".
Exactly. They should implement pay-for-use policy with a certain amount that would be free.
maybe they could do that for new Tesla owners, there is no way that Tesla could revoke the free charging that the current owners enjoy without massive lawsuits being filed

evnow said:
GRA said:
The problem will come in when they try to sell the Model III against competition - adding $2k up front to the price of a $70k car isn't that big a deal to the typical buyer, but adding it to the price of a $35k car is a lot more significant, especially when competing against ICEs/HEVs/PHEVs, and potentially FCEVs.
LOL. You do have a good sense of humor - even though you don't know about it ;)
See my use of the word 'potentially' preceding FCEVs, which implies that FCEV prices will have to drop considerably for that to be the case. ;)

As of 8/14/14, the long-awaited St. George, UT SC with 4 stalls is listed and mapped. Total U.S. SCs now 32/105/656.

Most recent full list here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9111&start=690" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Master list showing all locations, plus opening dates after 1/14 can be found here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9111&start=670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Site with a map showing all SCs open, under construction or permitted plus lots of other stuff can be found here:

http://supercharge.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's been open since Wednesday, but I normally don't mention them until it appears on Tesla's Supercharger page, so, without further ado:

As of 8/22/14, Lake City, FL (open 8/20) with 6 stalls, and Edison, NJ with 8 stalls are listed and mapped. Total U.S. SCs now 32/107/670.

Most recent full list here: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9111&start=690" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Master list showing all locations, plus opening dates after 1/14 can be found here:

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9111&start=670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Site with a map showing all SCs open, under construction or permitted plus lots of other stuff can be found here:

http://supercharge.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back