Testing of Nissan Headquarters Level 3 Charging Station.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
Gary's "SOC" meter is not reading SOC, it's reading watt-hours / 80. Actual SOC is accurate to 3 decimal places and does not match the numbers generated by Gary's SOC meter.

I think the distinction is that you can have different levels of SOC with a given level of Wh depending on the temperature of the battery.

Herm said:
Ingineer said:
Gary's "SOC" meter is not reading SOC, it's reading watt-hours / 80. Actual SOC is accurate to 3 decimal places and does not match the numbers generated by Gary's SOC meter.

I think the distinction is that you can have different levels of SOC with a given level of Wh depending on the temperature of the battery.
Of course, you can make any distinction you like, but my point is that this is not the "official" calculated SOC. Watt-hours stops at an arbitrary amount, so as the pack ages it will reduce, whereas SOC will not. The typical range Nissan allows in SOC is ~95% to 2%~, so a "fully charged" car is actually missing ~5%.

-Phil

Is this "Actual SOC" available as a number like 57.126% (3 decimal places)?

Or, probably you meant as a 3-digit decimal number, like 127 (or 962)?

Is it different from "Usable SOC" (or "Usable Fullness"), which is what the GID-meter is trying to indicate by showing one value from one EV-CAN message?
And, this value is still an "estimate", since a "real" Pack SOC would require knowing, accurately, the SOC of each cell-pair in the pack, and its capacity, and using the "least capable".

Charging "to 100%" for LEAF drivers is to (near) "100% Usable", not "100% Total" (which the LEAF will not allow).

If it is 95% or 94% or 90% of "Total SOC", we still want to display 100% of "Usable Fullness".

--------
What value in which CAN message has the "Total SOC", please?
(Or, does your NDA prohibit you from sharing that info?)

-------
Setting the Blink QC to stop the charging at anything over 80% (when starting from under 50%) will effectively be ignored when charging a LEAF, since the LEAF itself will terminate the QC charging at about 80% (Fullness, or Usable).

Setting the BLINK QC lower than 80% will generally force the BLINK to "abnormally" terminate the QC charging, not allowing the LEAF to finish "tapering off" the charge current as it is programmed to do.

tony I dont think there is any real advantage to knowing the exact SOC. No two cars are the same. My battery and your battery will be charged differently depending on how we use it, how we charge, and what brand/style we are using. But I will let you know next week as we are planning a five hundred+ mile trip in our Leaf and we are going to try to do this in a 12 hour period. I will let you know the info we collect when we are done next week. Thank you.

garygid said:
In what standard do you find that the QC
machine's STOP button should be Green?

I do not remember seeing the colors.
Thanks.
Well, every single one I've seen but AeroVironment's charger has blue as start and green as stop. That's standard enough for me!

Guess AV bent the rules a little for the american market. Looks like this isn't the first one from them that's made the change. From the "Exposed in Public!!! Inside the AV Charger" thread:

scaled.php

I have some pretty techno-phobic relatives. Green = stop would not work with them at all. :shock: :lol:

This thread is heating up :)

Bryan where are going on your 500 mile journey? Are you circling around the QC station for 12 hours or are you going from one to another? Looking forward to more data.

bryan38401 said:
tony I dont think there is any real advantage to knowing the exact SOC. No two cars are the same. My battery and your battery will be charged differently depending on how we use it, how we charge, and what brand/style we are using. But I will let you know next week as we are planning a five hundred+ mile trip in our Leaf and we are going to try to do this in a 12 hour period. I will let you know the info we collect when we are done next week. Thank you.

we will be hitting the QCs at the cracker barrels nashville all the ones to knoxville then north to lafollette tn to one of my installed stations sq d level2 do some work one or 2 sales calls!!! back to knox south to chattanoga little family meeting. then north to nashville then come back to franklin for my last QC then home to columbia tn. looks like 750 miles in 24 hrs thats the goal anyway. I have a person in the know that says they are functional!! they are listed on plugshare as non-op because of gliches!!! son will be posting 2nd trip to nissan qc from last sunday look for it!

Back