The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
But is the settlement final yet?

Settlement approved and case dismissed with prejudice on July 7th.

http://classaction.kccllc.net/Documents/NNK0001/Klee%20-%20%5B170%5D%20Order%20Granting%20Final%20Approval%20of%20Class%20Action%20Settlement.pdf

http://classaction.kccllc.net/Documents/NNK0001/Klee%20Judgment.pdf

If you have the time, the final approval document is pretty interesting reading!

Down to 8 bars. Did "100%" charge again last night...

Mfg Date: 3/11
Purchase Date: 5/11
Misc: never quick-charged

LeafSpy:

Bat Sts: AHR= 43.20
SOH = 65% 392.07V
Hx = 44.76%
odo = 38,559
3759 L1/L2s
SOC = 89.6%

172 Gids (61.2% of 281)

clarke said:

This is one reason I'm very reluctant to enter your bar 9 loss on our "losers" list at 41.03AHr. There is no way you can be at 41.03AHr one day and 43.20AHr 5 days later, unless you've had a wild swing to the negative on the day of loss.

I just got Leaf Spy at the time of the original post. I copied someone else's labels/numbers as a template, then fired up Leaf Spy, looked for numbers, and replaced them in the template, then posted that first time. It is likely that I made a mistake; I was very careful this second time. I'm not sure of the positives or negatives in being on the "losers" list.

clarke said:

Mfg Date: 3/11
Purchase Date: 5/11
Misc: never quick-charged

LeafSpy:

SOH = 65% 392.07V
Hx = 44.76%
odo = 38,559
3759 L1/L2s
SOC = 89.6%

172 Gids (61.2% of 281)
The likely reason that you only got to ~90% SOC after a "100% charge" is that your starting SOC was relatively high (something greater than 50% perhaps). This is one of the "joys" of the P3227 update: if you want a real 100% charge you have to start from a low SOC. For this reason I often have to run my battery down Sunday night by leaving the heater on for a while if I only did light driving over the weekend, or I might be stuck not having enough to make it to work and back on Monday.

mwalsh said:
Settlement approved and case dismissed with prejudice on July 7th. ...
Yes.
But why has it taken nearly four months to send the No Charge to Charge cards or $50 checks :?:
Or will Nissan only send those to those that lose the battery lottery :?:

At this rate, I'll likely get the card the day after the car is gone! :lol:

TimLee said:
mwalsh said:
Settlement approved and case dismissed with prejudice on July 7th. ...
Yes. But why has it taken nearly four months to send the No Charge to Charge cards or $50 checks :?: Or will Nissan only send those to those that lose the battery lottery :?:

TimLee said:
But why has it taken nearly four months to send the No Charge to Charge cards or $50 checks :?:
Or will Nissan only send those to those that lose the battery lottery :?:

The court has retained the right to oversee and administer the settlement as necessary. If we become unhappy with the the way it's being run, I'm sure there is a methodology for us to complain and perhaps a system by which the Court can further bring Nissan to task for any failure in compliance.

mwalsh said:
clarke said:

This is one reason I'm very reluctant to enter your bar 9 loss on our "losers" list at 41.03AHr. There is no way you can be at 41.03AHr one day and 43.20AHr 5 days later, unless you've had a wild swing to the negative on the day of loss.

I figured it out. The first time I was searching for the numbers across all the screens and ran across the "Ah" on one of the summary screens. The second time, I realized they were all at the top of one of the chart panels. The amp-hours from the first one is not the battery capacity in amp-hours, but the current energy content in amp-hours.

So it was the wrong number.

Hello All,

I've been absent from this forum for quite a while but we were early adopters and have a January 2011 delivered Leaf (251). We are hovering at 9 bars (54,600 miles) and have noticed quite a drop in actual driving miles in our car over the past year or so. We use to routinely charge to 80% but that hasn't been enough over the past year so we switch to 100% charging. This morning I left the house with 9 bars and "55" magic miles and returned from a 26 mile round trip with 9 miles remaining and 2 bars.

Before I go in for my battery check at the local dealer should I wait until I have lost one more bar? Is that the only thing they look at?

Thanks,

Michael

There is no point to visit a dealer before dropping to 8 bars, because that is what triggers the warranty. Consider getting LeafSpy if not already to see how close you are. Also P3227 update, was it previously done?

We did the software update a few years ago. We also have begun to use quick charging as just getting back from work has been a challenge. I'll take a look at leaf spy and see if I can get some data. It appears from the discussion that this data is not really relevant for Nissan to replace.

Three months to loose a bar.....

bodengroden said:
We did the software update a few years ago. We also have begun to use quick charging as just getting back from work has been a challenge. I'll take a look at leaf spy and see if I can get some data. It appears from the discussion that this data is not really relevant for Nissan to replace.

You won't be able to convince Nissan of anything with LeafSpy data, but it's tremendously helpful for your own benefit so you can estimate whether you'll make it in time. Also, it's invaluable with our car's diminished range to help you calculate just how far you can really go (GOM is worthless).

For example, if LeafSpy shows you at more than ~45 Ah you've probably got no shot at it. ~43 Ah and you're probably pretty close. How long ago did you drop to 9 bars? Where are you located? It may be worthwhile to take it in to the dealer no matter what with complaints about the range, as there are a few cases of people missing the warranty cut off but making a big fuss about it and getting a new battery anyway, and having a documented complaint about range was mentioned as something that may have been helpful in getting the replacement.

fooljoe said:
bodengroden said:

You won't be able to convince Nissan of anything with LeafSpy data, but it's tremendously helpful for your own benefit so you can estimate whether you'll make it in time. Also, it's invaluable with our car's diminished range to help you calculate just how far you can really go (GOM is worthless).

For example, if LeafSpy shows you at more than ~45 Ah you've probably got no shot at it. ~43 Ah and you're probably pretty close. How long ago did you drop to 9 bars? Where are you located? It may be worthwhile to take it in to the dealer no matter what with complaints about the range, as there are a few cases of people missing the warranty cut off but making a big fuss about it and getting a new battery anyway, and having a documented complaint about range was mentioned as something that may have been helpful in getting the replacement.

I think we went from 10 to 9 about 9 months ago. I'm not exactly sure. We are in San Diego but not far from the coast and so not that effected by heat. Thanks for the info on the capacity. I'll get the app and the dongle and see where we are at. It would be nice not to have to create a scene just to get this taken care of. But if we need to we could. Overall the car has been great for my wife to get to work and back. It's only over the last year that it has really started to drop off in range. With the latest battery technology it could be a useful car again for another 5 years.....

My advice is to charge it to 100% and QC as often as possible. As others said, LeafSpy would at least let you know how close you might be, and whether you need to speed things up. You need to beat the clock!

fooljoe said:
... Also, it's invaluable with our car's diminished range to help you calculate just how far you can really go (GOM is worthless)....
Absolutely. As the battery degrades more and more of the capacity (as a percentage) ends up in those last two bars and below. It's likely you had another 20-25 miles of range with two bars showing. LEAFSpy will help you use that range with confidence (also running the battery lower will help you lose the that next bar bar).

4 bar loser today. Don't have Leaf Spy. I had estimated my 4th bar date by a couple methods (Miles and days) by comparing to my time/mileage between 1-2 and 2-3. My most pessimistic guess was 2 Nov. Told the wife last night, " I guess my estimation was off". Then we go out this morning and it was gone. I'm pretty sure it happened at 11:59 PM. :)

Here's history:

Bar 1 - June 13, 2013 21,200 miles
Bar 2 - March 25, 2014 30,100 miles
Bar 3 - January 4, 2015 38,750 miles
Bar 4 - Nov 3, 2015 48,444 miles

Have appt with Nissan Dealer tomorrow for the battery check. Kind of disappointed, I thought I would be first replacement in Jax, but he said someone else had it done 2 weeks ago.

Car built Oct/2011

Back