Tier Breakdown now public?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafinThePark

In today's press release, there was a breakdown of when various markets will open. I've pulled out what appears to be the tier structure for the Leaf release...something I have not seen anywhere else.

Tier 1
Arizona, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington

Tier 2 - Ordering begins July 25
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Tier 3 - Ordering in 'fall' 2011
Connecticut, Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York

Tier 4 - Ordering by 'end of year'
Delaware, Indiana, Louisiana, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island

Tier 5 - ??
Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

planet4ever said:
I must say it seems very odd that Arizona, California, and Texas are in tier 1 while New Mexico is in tier 5.
Why? Is New Mexico especially EV friendly? It has nothing to do with geography, it has to do with the size of the market, and the support EVs get from government and industry in the state.

davewill said:
planet4ever said:
I must say it seems very odd that Arizona, California, and Texas are in tier 1 while New Mexico is in tier 5.
Why? Is New Mexico especially EV friendly? It has nothing to do with geography, it has to do with the size of the market, and the support EVs get from government and industry in the state.
I think it is still weird. They have included some places that can't be large markets earlier ... like Mississippi.

Does Nissan have poor dealer network in NM ?

According to my reading of the news release, I think that there are now *7* Tiers of LEAF orders:

2011 Model

Tier 1 (August 2010): Customers WITH reservations in Arizona, California, Oregon, Tennessee, Washington, with Hawaii and Texas later added.

Tier 2 (May 1, 2011): NEW customers WITHOUT reservations in the all above states.

2012 Model

Tier 3 (July 25, 2011): Customers WITH reservations in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.

Tier 4 (August 4, 2011): NEW customers WITHOUT reservations in all the above states.

Tier 5 ("In the fall," 2011): Customers WITH and WITHOUT reservations in Connecticut, Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York, as well as in all the above states.

Tier 6 ("By the end of the year," 2011): Customers WITH and WITHOUT reservations in Delaware, Indiana, Louisiana, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island, as well as in the all above states.

Tier 7 (Who knows?): The remaining states? (Mine included.)

Given Nissan's track record, bet'cha this last tier will be end up divided even further, with several of them delayed until the 2013 Model --with yet another price hike, of course.

So much for putting down a deposit the very first day. :roll:

Yanquetino said:
Tier 6 ("By the end of the year," 2011): Customers WITH and WITHOUT reservations in Delaware, Indiana, Louisiana, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island, as well as in the all above states.
If this is true, then it's as I have thought for a while now. My $99 deposit gets me nothing; it's main purpose was for Nissan to gauge interest. I've also had a some reasons to think Nissan has changed their plan since we put down our $99.

1. They abruptly cut off reservations at 20,000 rather than continuing to their goal of 25,000.
2. The Japanese diversion definitely changed their plans, at least in the short tesrm.
3. They've gotten some resistance from their US dealer network regard use of the charging stations.

I'm wondering if US dealer resistance , say in the service area, has caused Nissan to further modify the rollout plan?

Back