trade-in my 2012 Nissan Leaf SL for the 2013 Nissan Leaf SL?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKY888

Well, I just leased a 2012 Nissan Leaf SL a week ago.

Leased for 39 months with 12k/yr

$1000 downpayment (includes first month, registration, etc)
$237 a month (tax included)

But I really would like to trade it in, and get the 2013 Nissan Leaf SL....which has a 6.6 kw on-board charger.

it would be nice to cut the charging time in half when I'm charging at home or at the dealership before going to my second job.

will I end up paying more on my monthly lease? or not?

What do you guys think? Pros and Cons?

A guess is that it would cost more to lease the 2013,
and cost you some substantial amount to return the
2012, unless you can "sell" it, perhaps by getting
someone else to take over your present lease?

But, just a GUESS.

where you located? have to think that stopping at "any" kind of L2 to charge to add range is very inconvenient. any quick charge stations planned for the area?

have you heard about Nissan rolling out QC's to dealers? supposedly within 60 days?

keep in mind, that a 10-15 minute QC session will probably provide you more than you need to get to your 2nd job.

i have to agree with Gary that your reasons are not compelling enough to trade up.

I agree with everyone here. If you have a quick charge port on your current 2012 and there are enough quick charging stations in your area in strategic places that work for you, that'll work out much better than the L2 6.6KW option.

I rarely find 3.3kw L2 charging to be inadequate at home because I use it mostly overnight anyway. Any day charging in between trips is done with Quick Charging and I'm blessed to have 2 DCFC stations close to home (one is 4 miles away and the other is 6 miles away).

Volusiano said:
I agree with everyone here. If you have a quick charge port on your current 2012 and there are enough quick charging stations in your area in strategic places that work for you, that'll work out much better than the L2 6.6KW option.

I rarely find 3.3kw L2 charging to be inadequate at home because I use it mostly overnight anyway. Any day charging in between trips is done with Quick Charging and I'm blessed to have 2 DCFC stations close to home (one is 4 miles away and the other is 6 miles away).

considering that QC is now an option on 2 of the 3 models, there are several reasons why Nissan is doing this and their model promises to provide a much wider access than the current QC "network" where you have enclaves in the PNW, Bay Area and Select places in TX, AZ and TN.

this should give access to most current and future owners. now, will the 60 day time frame be met? I have to think that anything close would be wonderful

DaveinOlyWA said:
considering that QC is now an option on 2 of the 3 models ...
I'm not sure which way you meant that statement, Dave, but it didn't sound right to me when I read, or perhaps misread, it. Will you agree that a more precise statement would be the following? "considering that QC is now standard on one of the 3 models and an option on the other two, ..."

Ray

DaveinOlyWA said:
where you located? have to think that stopping at "any" kind of L2 to charge to add range is very inconvenient. any quick charge stations planned for the area?

have you heard about Nissan rolling out QC's to dealers? supposedly within 60 days?

keep in mind, that a 10-15 minute QC session will probably provide you more than you need to get to your 2nd job.

i have to agree with Gary that your reasons are not compelling enough to trade up.

Im here in Rhode Island. Not a lot of QCs in the area. I haven't seen one actually.

my SL have QC port.....but I don't want to keep on using QC 2-3x a week .........might deteriorate the battery too fast too soon.

having a 6.6kw on board charger....will be better for my application.

SKY888 said:
But I really would like to trade it in, and get the 2013 Nissan Leaf SL....which has a 6.6 kw on-board charger.
I agree the bigger charger would be a nice feature to have in the car.

Go back to the dealership where you bought the 2012 and ask them if they can work a deal for you on the 2013. Salesman are always anxious to earn another sales commission.

KJD said:
SKY888 said:
I agree the bigger charger would be a nice feature to have in the car.

Go back to the dealership where you bought the 2012 and ask them if they can work a deal for you on the 2013. Salesman are always anxious to earn another sales commission.

thats what I did this afternoon on my way back from work.

I talked to my sales rep, and told him that I'm interested to trade-in my 2012 SL.

Told him that since the new 2013 SL is basically $2400 cheaper than the 2012 SL brand new when I leased my car a week ago...................I was wondering if I can just lease the 2013 SL with the exact monthly lease payment that I'm paying right now, with zero down.

He told me that they don't have the lease promotion for the 2013 SL yet, and he he will let me know if he can work things out for me.

SKY888 said:
I wonder how much will be an upgrade for the 6.6kw on-board charger, if they hook it up on my 2012 SL?
Not going to happen. The 2013 charger is way different from the 2012 and they are not interchangeable. The 2012 unit is mounted in the back. The 2013 charger is under the hood.

You are not the first one to ask this question. :)

KJD said:
SKY888 said:
I wonder how much will be an upgrade for the 6.6kw on-board charger, if they hook it up on my 2012 SL?
Not going to happen. The 2013 charger is way different from the 2012 and they are not interchangeable. The 2012 unit is mounted in the back. The 2013 charger is under the hood.

You are not the first one to ask this question. :)

I asked because I noticed that the 2013 S model only has 3.3 kw on-board charger.

but both 2013 SV and SL are 6.6 kw on-board charger.

that's why I thought the platform will be similar to the 2012 SL or something.....that has the 3.3 kw on-board charger.

But I guess not.

SKY888 said:

it would be nice to cut the charging time in half when I'm charging at home or at the dealership before going to my second job.

will I end up paying more on my monthly lease? or not?

What do you guys think? Pros and Cons?

I have a charger that does almost 6.7kw in my LEAF and have only needed that extra speed at home once, away from home it is great. Why do you need to double your home charging speed?

EVDRIVER said:
I have a charger that does almost 6.7kw in my LEAF and have only needed that extra speed at home once, away from home it is great. Why do you need to double your home charging speed?

because I have 2 jobs where I drive about 50 miles for each job

and I have about 2.25 hour charging opportunity....since during that time I'm at home resting.

having double charging speed will make sure that I have enough juice on my battery when travelling on my 2nd job.

SKY888 said:
EVDRIVER said:

because I have 2 jobs where I drive about 50 miles for each job

and I have about 2.25 hour charging opportunity....since during that time I'm at home resting.

having double charging speed will make sure that I have enough juice on my battery when travelling on my 2nd job.

But you said you JUST leased the 2012 last week, right? Sorry but I don't quite understand why you leased it in the first place if it wouldn't work for you traveling to your second job. Or did you just get that second job?

SKY888 said:
I asked because I noticed that the 2013 S model only has 3.3 kw on-board charger. but both 2013 SV and SL are 6.6 kw on-board charger. that's why I thought the platform will be similar to the 2012 SL or something.....that has the 3.3 kw on-board charger.
Actually the S model comes standard with the 3.3kW, but you can upgrade it to the 6kW version with the optional Charge Package. I don't know this for a fact, but it's a safe guess that the 3.3kW charger on the S is just a stripped down version of the 6kW, and not at all like the 3.3kW charger in the 2011 and 2012 cars. Somewhere I read that the new charger is not even from the same company as the old one.

Ray

x10guy said:
But you said you JUST leased the 2012 last week, right? Sorry but I don't quite understand why you leased it in the first place if it wouldn't work for you traveling to your second job. Or did you just get that second job?

I guess, I was very naive thinking that the 2012 Nissan Leaf will be able to take me to two jobs and give me enough juice in between my two jobs, and not be WORRIED of not getting back home due to the leaf's limited range.

All the calculations and speculations I did.....thinking that the 3.3 kw charger will be enough for my daily commute, before I leased my car is not on-point. Im noticing that I barely get home with my charge. And the deterioration of the battery in a year or so...will probably even further the paranoia

I didnt know this until I really have the leaf in my possession........drive normally to my two jobs. And experience everything

I know NOW that Having a 6.6 kw will definitely my situation since the quicker charge will ensure that I have enough juice.

hopefully you understand the situation now.

SKY888 said:
I didnt know this until I really have the leaf in my possession........drive normally to my two jobs. And experience everything

I know NOW that Having a 6.6 kw will definitely my situation since the quicker charge will ensure that I have enough juice.

hopefully you understand the situation now.

No need to say more. For the first month I drove like most "Leafers" do and it drove me crazy. Fortunately I don't have a long commute so one day I just said "forget it" and I just drove normal. That is one downside to the Leaf, you can't really drive like a regular driver if want the normal range of 75 miles. I didn't know that either before I leased, but fortunately my commute is short. Good luck in your quest for a 2013.

More information on the Lease pricing for the 2013 can be found here.
http://insideevs.com/2013-nissan-leaf-199-lease-details-sale-date-for-canada-more-battery-production-in-the-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back