Trade in values

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limey

So I'm just curious (cause I'm leasing, so I walk free and clear in 2 years) but what kind of trade in values have people been getting?

I went on kelly blue book, and I see even the retail value of a 2012 SV with 8000 miles is already in the 18k range (trade in was 16K range) for excellent condition.

Are the values really dropping that fast, or is this some kind of game being played because of the federal tax credit?

Limey said:
So I'm just curious (cause I'm leasing, so I walk free and clear in 2 years) but what kind of trade in values have people been getting?

I went on kelly blue book, and I see even the retail value of a 2012 SV with 8000 miles is already in the 18k range (trade in was 16K range) for excellent condition.

Are the values really dropping that fast, or is this some kind of game being played because of the federal tax credit?
the market for used LEAFS is almost zero because of battery degradation concerns.

It's the low price of the new LEAF S, less incentives and the Federal tax credit. If folks can get a new one for under $20K, why would they pay almost as much for a used one?

Boomer23 said:
It's the low price of the new LEAF S, less incentives and the Federal tax credit. If folks can get a new one for under $20K, why would they pay almost as much for a used one?[/quote

That's crap. Why should it matter that some of the car is being paid for be another party.

Seems the volt has the same issue. 2012 with 8000 miles is values for resale at 25k only. glad I'm currently leasing.

Limey said:
That's crap. Why should it matter that some of the car is being paid for be another party.
Why would you expect to pocket the $7,500 when selling your used LEAF when someone can go out and buy a new one at $7,500 off?

You buy a LEAF at $30,000 and get $7,500 back for a total of $22,500.

What do you think the resale of that LEAF will be if you try to sell it tomorrow? Hint: not more than $22,500.

Limey said:
Boomer23 said:
It's the low price of the new LEAF S, less incentives and the Federal tax credit. If folks can get a new one for under $20K, why would they pay almost as much for a used one?

Seems the volt has the same issue. 2012 with 8000 miles is values for resale at 25k only. glad I'm currently leasing.

Ummm..ok. ;)

The market in the used Leafs is pretty thin and the potential buyers are spread out, so it is hard for the market to set a good price. There are probably some "buyers" who don't have the tax liability to get the 7,500 credit and don't want to lease. A car might sit for a while until the right buyer comes along.

There are probably three "groups" of Leafs that need to be used for comparable prices. 2012 SL/SV, 2013 S and 2013 SL/SV.
Lower 2013 S prices might affect the market for 2012 SL, but not as much as the new car price drop for the 2013 SL.

I traded my 2012 SL for $21,500 about 8 weeks ago, but it was in "like new" condition. The dealer put it up for sale at $24,995 and now it is down to $23,949.

At some point you should be able to figure out a "value" by taking used Versa prices and adding a fraction of the battery replacement cost based on the mileage, and subtracting the fuel savings over the remaining life of the car. But that's doesn't mean the prices will match the value. We also don't know the cost of the battery and the real long term maintenance costs or how long the cars will hold up.

Yogi62 said:
The market in the used Leafs is pretty thin and the potential buyers are spread out, so it is hard for the market to set a good price. There are probably some "buyers" who don't have the tax liability to get the 7,500 credit and don't want to lease. A car might sit for a while until the right buyer comes along.

There are probably three "groups" of Leafs that need to be used for comparable prices. 2012 SL/SV, 2013 S and 2013 SL/SV.
Lower 2013 S prices might affect the market for 2012 SL, but not as much as the new car price drop for the 2013 SL.

I traded my 2012 SL for $21,500 about 8 weeks ago, but it was in "like new" condition. The dealer put it up for sale at $24,995 and now it is down to $23,949.

At some point you should be able to figure out a "value" by taking used Versa prices and adding a fraction of the battery replacement cost based on the mileage, and subtracting the fuel savings over the remaining life of the car. But that's doesn't mean the prices will match the value. We also don't know the cost of the battery and the real long term maintenance costs or how long the cars will hold up.

versa???? I don't think so, the used value of the LEAF is directly correlated to the cost of a new one, when you can get into a new LEAF for 22k why would anyone consider a used one at a price that isn't at least 25% lower than that

apvbguy said:
versa???? I don't think so, the used value of the LEAF is directly correlated to the cost of a new one, when you can get into a new LEAF for 22k why would anyone consider a used one at a price that isn't at least 25% lower than that

Perhaps there is a better substitute for the Leaf in the "4 door small hatchback car" category, but the Versa is the one that I think the Leaf is closest too. They are both cars. They get you from point A to point B. But there is no "efficient market" for used Leafs yet.

Plus not everyone can get a Leaf for 22K. Many people who would like to be eco-friendly, or cut their commuting cost don't qualify for cheap leases or don't have 7,500 in tax liability to offset. The new Leaf prices have an effect, but they are not only option in the used car market, where I assert practicality and value for money play a bigger role than in the "new car/first adopter" market.

Yogi62 said:
Perhaps there is a better substitute for the Leaf in the "4 door small hatchback car" category, but the Versa is the one that I think the Leaf is closest too. They are both cars. They get you from point A to point B. But there is no "efficient market" for used Leafs yet.

saying "they are both cars" is like saying an alligator and crocodile are the same because they both live in the water and both like to eat mammals , there is no way you can try to equate a LEAF to a gasser, they are different species

apvbguy said:
saying "they are both cars" is like saying an alligator and crocodile are the same because they both live in the water and both like to eat mammals , there is no way you can try to equate a LEAF to a gasser, they are different species

I think you just proved my point. People can't tell the difference between an alligator and a croc, and they will have to be told that there is something different under the hoods of a Leaf HB and a Versa Note HB.

(oh, and while the Leaf is an interesting critter to play with, the gasser is more useful and a better value at 1/2 the price...)

The trade in value for my 2011 SL was so poor that I walked away from Nissan. I wanted a 2013 Pearl loaded, but it wasn't even available during the first few months from TN. Leasing would have been better... So I'll just keep my leaf forever. It'll pay for itself someday.

So for $4000 more I "settled" for a Rav4 EV and had it shipped to WA.

Too bad Nissan couldn't keep me as a long term customer. $1000 customer cash doesn't cut it when Toyota offers $10,000 in discounts.

doug401 said:
The original hybrid, a sailboat, with plans to convert to electric propulsion when degraded leaf batts become available. /)..../)..../)

Nice - another sailor! Without hijacking this thread, I have a sailboat as well - an O'Day 22 with an electric outboard. I've also thought about re-purposing a used Leaf battery for some killer range (currently I get upwards of 10 miles on 0.5kWh).

doug401 said:
The trade in value for my 2011 SL was so poor that I walked away from Nissan. I wanted a 2013 Pearl loaded, but it wasn't even available during the first few months from TN. Leasing would have been better... So I'll just keep my leaf forever. It'll pay for itself someday.

So for $4000 more I "settled" for a Rav4 EV and had it shipped to WA.

Too bad Nissan couldn't keep me as a long term customer. $1000 customer cash doesn't cut it when Toyota offers $10,000 in discounts.
You're comparing apples and oranges. The LEAF (which Nissan is having a hard time keeping in stock) and the RAV4-EV (which Toyota is having a hard time giving away despite $10k+ in discounts).

Resale really does appear to be that bad. I have no intention of buying my car out. At lease end Nissan wants me to pay $21,500 for a 24 month old 2012 SV with 24,000 miles. Won't be happening. I intend to lease another one and watch Nissan take a bath on this one.

You're comparing apples and oranges. The LEAF (which Nissan is having a hard time keeping in stock) and the RAV4-EV (which Toyota is having a hard time giving away despite $10k+ in discounts).[/quote]
Yes.. I am comparing apples and oranges. Since I have one of each I can do that. I can't understand the general public's lack of knowledge of each vehicle and its range performance characteristics. The "public" wants more range. The Rav has 50 miles more than the Leaf, yet it doesn't sell? I don't get it... Both the Rav and the Leaf should be hot sellers, but they are not. What I do know is that I got screwed with the purchase of my Leaf, Nissan didn't act when I wanted a 2nd one, my Rav carries 10 ft lengths of lumber inside, goes 130+ miles on a charge, charges faster at home, and smokes the tires up and down the street.... Apples and oranges, yes, very much so.

GetOffYourGas said:
doug401 said:
The original hybrid, a sailboat, with plans to convert to electric propulsion when degraded leaf batts become available. /)..../)..../)

Nice - another sailor! Without hijacking this thread, I have a sailboat as well - an O'Day 22 with an electric outboard. I've also thought about re-purposing a used Leaf battery for some killer range (currently I get upwards of 10 miles on 0.5kWh).
Those Torquedo electric outboards are nice... and expensive

Nice... I've done some weight calculations and it looks like the Leaf battery pack weight is very close to offsetting the 35hp diesel, tranny, and 200 lbs of house/start AGMs. It's a long term project... but it will happen.

Back