Tuning the Battery Aging Model

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A link to the Google Drive version of the spreadsheet has been added to the Wiki. Reg, feel free to modify the Wiki text if it is inaccurate in any way.

I noticed that someone is using the spreadsheet to check on a 2013 Leaf that is less than 6 months old. It may be a good idea to put a couple of notes somewhere on the input page:

1) Spreadsheet is not validated for 2013 Leafs, due to a change in battery chemistry (the electrolyte)
2) Predictions for ownership time of less than one year are not likely to be very accurate

stjohnh said:
That's exactly what I was going to recommend, maybe also limit the validation for date of manufacture to 2011 and 2012 Leafs.
I could do that, but I would prefer to allow people to make comparisons with their 2013 LEAFs to see if the predictions are accurate.

Hopefully this spreadsheet will NOT predict accurate results for the new "Hot Battery" once that becomes available! ;)

Manufactured - 04/11
Delivered - 6/23/11
P3227 update - 6/23/13
Location - Lawrenceville GA 30 miles NE of Atlanta
Miles/kwh - 4.4
Odometer - 20987
Capacity - 53.98
Date - 10/31/13
Parked in sun - 5 days/week, 5 hrs a day except mid-May to mid-August

Just got my LEAFDD today - had to try it out... here are my results - quite a bit better than I thought they might be. Must be the cool temps here just south of Rochester, NY

--Date of Manufacture Jan/12
--Date of Delivery April 10th, 2012
--Date of P3227 update needed, but not yet done. I don't know if/when I will have it done.
--Geographic location - Bloomfield, NY. Daily commute to Rochester, NY (29miles one way). I expect that the climate of Rochester is similar to Syracuse, NY.
--Average miles/kwh for the life of your Leaf 5.0
--Current odometer reading 30007
--Current AH capacity reading 61.7886 (from LEAFDD)
Exact date you took current odometer reading and current AH capacity 11/1/2013
Days per week parked in the sun 3.5

ranss12 said:
Just got my LEAFDD today - had to try it out... here are my results - quite a bit better than I thought they might be. Must be the cool temps here just south of Rochester, NY

--Date of P3227 update needed, but not yet done. I don't know if/when I will have it done.
Please post capacity results to this thread only if you have had the P3227 update done at least 6 weeks earlier. Without the update, the "actual" capacity is not a meaningful number for tuning the battery aging model.

Stoaty,
follow-up:
11/15/13
25,540 mi
Cap: 54.45

opencar said:
finally hit 6 wks from my update:

Manufactured - 3/11
Delivered - 6/3/11
P3227 update - 9/6/13
Location - San Diego, CA
Miles/kwh - ~4.2
Odometer - 24,440mi
Capacity - 54.79
Date - 10/18/13
Parked in sun - 5 days/week

Garage - Unventilated & uninsulated
Capacity bars indicated - 11
DC Charge Count - 17
AC Charge Count - 1613

Manufactured – 04/30/12
Delivered – 05/12
*Purchased (Demo Model, 1420 miles at time of purchase) 01/20/13
P3227 update - 08/13
Location - Fayetteville, AR
Miles/kwh – 3.9
Odometer - 13,747
Capacity – 57.67
Date - 11/22/2013
Parked in sun - 7 days/week, same at dealership

TaylorSFGuy (approaching 100,000 miles in his Leaf) sent me the info on his car to plug in to the Battery Aging Model:

--Date of Manufacture (month and year) 03/11
--Date of Delivery (month, day and year) 05/13/11
--Date of P3227 update exact date - not sure - about 10 days after it was announced
--Geographic location - be specific, must include city and state, otherwise data of no use (also include work location city and state and days Leaf spends at work if climate significantly different than home) Kent WA
--Average miles/kwh for the life of your Leaf (your best guestimate OK) 4.2
--Current odometer reading (i.e. total miles your Leaf has been driven) 99,760 - timed to hit 100K on 12/16/13
--Current AH capacity reading from LeafDD or Leaf Battery App 51.23AH and 59.59 Health - keeps flipping back so I think I got that correct
Exact date you took current odometer reading and current AH capacity Today - 12/13/13
Days per week parked in the sun (fractional days OK)
Not much sun up here except in Summer - say average of 1 day per week

Using Seattle (closest location available) Battery Aging Model Gives:

Predicted Loss: 23.02%

Actual Loss: 22.67%

Predicted Minus Actual Loss: 0.34%

Conclusion: Battery Aging Model holding up extremely well up to 100,000 miles in very cool climate.

Manufactured - 02/12
Delivered - 6/23/12
P3227 update - 7/13
Location - Folsom, CA for 9 months, Pasadena, CA since March this year.
Miles/kwh - 3.9
Parked in sun - 3 days/week (avg but varies substantially week to week)

December Update:
Just lost the first capacity bar....
Odo- 21288
Cap- 55.37
Date 12/18/13
80% Gids- I think 196. Will confirm in the morning. I think my last 100% charge was 224.

JeremyW said:
December Update:
Just lost the first capacity bar....
Sorry about the loss of a bar.

I put your data into Stoaty's online calculator:
Actual loss: 16.42
Predicted loss (Sacramento): 13.67
Predicted loss (Anaheim): 14.81

So it looks like your actual loss is 10% higher than predicted for Anaheim and 20% higher than predicted for Sacramento. (Sorry, I'm having a hard time remembering where Pasadena is just now. If it is not close to Anaheim, my apologies!).

RegGuheert said:

So it looks like your actual loss is 10% higher than predicted for Anaheim and 20% higher than predicted for Sacramento.
Riverside or Van Nuys are probably better matches for Pasadena climate.

RegGuheert said:
So it looks like your actual loss is 10% higher than predicted for Anaheim and 20% higher than predicted for Sacramento. (Sorry, I'm having a hard time remembering where Pasadena is just now. If it is not close to Anaheim, my apologies!).
caplossmnl

The battery in Jeremy's LEAF could be a good litmus test for heavy quick charger use.

surfingslovak said:
RegGuheert said:
caplossmnl

The battery in Jeremy's LEAF could be a good litmus test for heavy quick charger use.

how many QC's does he have and does he normally go the "full 80?" or just boost charges?

Stoaty said:
RegGuheert said:

So it looks like your actual loss is 10% higher than predicted for Anaheim and 20% higher than predicted for Sacramento.
Riverside or Van Nuys are probably better matches for Pasadena climate.
Thanks! Those are a bit closer, but the time in Folsom would tend to lower the overall.

Predicted loss (Riverside): 15.48
Predicted loss (Van Nuys): 15.26

So how many quick charges are we talking about here?

RegGuheert said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, here is new data for new car
YOUR new car, Dave?

I find it interesting that the average cell voltage is shown as 4.110V. I have never seen our LEAF above 4.100V.
Ya. I tried to charge it last night but it stopped at 80% so by the time I browsed the settings and restarted the charge I did not have enough time to complete the charge but did make.it to 97.3% and 284 GIDs. The GOM is much improved giving me an estimate of 93 miles. Will be a few days before I Can do any real driving in it but will say after a few hours that the heated seats and steering wheel makes a HUGE difference

Back