What happens with CVRP if you move out of state?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devin

I'm contemplating a potential move to Seattle and was wondering if anyone's had experience with moving out of state and dealing with the CVRP. I couldn't find any information about it on the CVRP website. I've had my car for over a year now so I would think that I'd have to pay a prorated amount of the rebate back to them if I move and register the car in Washington. Has anyone had to deal with this yet?

Since its a rebate I think you have nothing to worry about and don't need to repay any of it. Its not like the federal new home buyers credit where you are required to stay in the home for 3 years.

Especially since if you buy a LEAF and file for the federal credit and the state rebate, and then sell the car, the new owner cannot apply for either of those two things again.

Probably best to talk with the CVRP folks at CCSE

Links to provisions are on this page: http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/about-cvrp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Applicant requirements:

http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/self-generation-incentive-program/sgip-documents/doc_download/534-cvrp-applicant-requirements-a-qualifying-vehicle-information" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Applicants must own or lease the vehicle for a minimum of 36 consecutive months*

Vehicles must be registered with the California DMV for a minimum of 36 consecutive months

* Note: ARB will periodically check vehicle identification numbers with vehicle registrations to ensure that CVRP applicants meet this requirement. If an applicant breaks this requirement, ARB or its designee reserves the right to recoup CVRP funds from the original vehicle purchaser identified on the rebate form and may pursue other remedies available under the law.

It appears as if the rebate would be forfeited, at least in part... Here is the wording from the rebate requirements page:

- Applicant must retain ownership of the rebated vehicle for a minimum of 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date. Rebate recipients who do not retain the eligible vehicle for the full 36-month ownership or lease period will be required to reimburse ARB all or part of the original rebate amount.

- Applicant must register the new vehicle with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for a minimum of 36 consecutive months for use in California. Any government owned vehicle not registered with the California DMV is still required to operate within California for 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date.

* Note: ARB will periodically check vehicle identification numbers with vehicle registrations to ensure that CVRP applicants meet this requirement. If an applicant breaks this requirement, ARB or its designee reserves the right to recoup CVRP funds from the original vehicle purchaser identified on the rebate form and may pursue other remedies available under the law.

The CVRP website only has this to say on the matter:

-Applicants must own or lease the vehicle for a minimum of 36 consecutive months
-Vehicles must be registered with the California DMV for a minimum of 36 consecutive months

I suppose I'll send them an email. I'll post here with my findings, for science!

Edit: You guys are fast!

+1 ... just received my own rebate from IL EPA (7 months to process) and no such similar strings attached in IL that I'm aware of but don't plan to have the need to move/relocate any time soon of course ours was 'only' 10% of MSRP and not the $5K that this started out with that it looks like is at stake with the OP. I would wonder if they would even put a mechanism is place to determine if a vehicle/owner who received this took the car out of state or even sold it/traded it in within the 36 month time frame mentioned? There are reciprocal agreements between many states so one could assume through DMV records I suppose you could get a nastigram after you registered in WA that CA wants all or some of their money back but sounds a bit desperate (the 'remedies available under law' sounds a bit ominous though)

I'm almost certain you will have to pay back a pro-rated portion of your rebate, based on a 36 month period. they are very nice, but they will want a check :?

No word from the CVRP people after two emails.

The likelihood of my making the move this year has decreased so I haven't been trying as hard to find the answer.

Back