Where do you plan to install the EVSE in your garage ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i might have a problem with installation in my garage......

my inside garage length is 178 in. max with the door closed. and the spec'd car length is 175 in.
i've tried to figure from some of the photos if 3 inches in front is enough to fit the charging 'hose' in. and if i'd be able to reach over and put it in (from 90 degrees).
i chatted with nissan and they were non-commital. they said i could charge it outside since it will have a long cord (but that wasn't very comforting). but i'll have to charge it in the winters of NY, so mostly inside the garage. at night with the garage door closed.
i looks to me that it's too tight....

any opinions? do i have a problem?

thanks

The charge port is above and aft of the front of the car. It looks like one may be able to connect the charge cord even if the front bumper is against the wall.

I'd feel better making a recommendation after I've seen the car and J1772 connector in person, and I haven't, so I won't recommend. It looks doable, though.

chargeport.jpg

sideview.jpg

bradford said:

my inside garage length is 178 in. max with the door closed. and the spec'd car length is 175 in.
i've tried to figure from some of the photos if 3 inches in front is enough to fit the charging 'hose' in. and if i'd be able to reach over and put it in (from 90 degrees).
i chatted with nissan and they were non-commital. they said i could charge it outside since it will have a long cord (but that wasn't very comforting). but i'll have to charge it in the winters of NY, so mostly inside the garage. at night with the garage door closed.
i looks to me that it's too tight....

any opinions? do i have a problem?

thanks

Looking at this picture:

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/index#/leaf-electric-car/gallery/view/car/20

it appears the charging port, while on the front of the vehicle, sits back a bit from the front edge of the bumper. So maybe even if the car was pulled all the way up to the back wall of the garage you could lean over from the side and plug in the connector. Hard to say for sure but it looks that way to me.

I agree, it certainly looks like there will be no real problem, even with the front "bumper" touching the wall.

However, the "handle" on the EVSE charge cord's plug is still an unknown.

In any case, if necessary, you might be able to "knock" (make nicely) a small hole in the wall, and gain a few inches of clearance for the "handle".

Or back in ... but the driver needs to exit the car ... ?

garygid said:

Gary - take another look at the images posted above. The port is located on an approx 45 degree angle. The image from Nissan clearly shows that the 'handle' does not extend past the front of the car when installed - and shouldn't during insertion as it's coming down from a ~45 degree angle from above. The picture clearly shows that the handle doesn't even extend outside the bounds of the car's access door.

The OP should be golden without any room mods even if the car is against the wall.

AndyH said:
garygid said:

Gary - take another look at the images posted above. The port is located on an approx 45 degree angle. The image from Nissan clearly shows that the 'handle' does not extend past the front of the car when installed - and shouldn't during insertion as it's coming down from a ~45 degree angle from above. The picture clearly shows that the handle doesn't even extend outside the bounds of the car's access door.

The OP should be golden without any room mods even if the car is against the wall.

You're still reaching across to the middle of the hood from standing alongside the front fender, but that shouldn't be too bad as long as you don't have back trouble. Worst case you build a little catwalk along the back wall of the garage :)

bradford said:

Indeed a little tight. You may want to measure that 178" again after closing the garage door.

Apparently the "handle" is not standard, and not part of the J1772 specification. So, what one gets might vary.

I have seen pictures of a straight barrel, and different "pistol-grip" handles.

The AV pictures are "not the finished product", so the handle you recieve may vary.

But, I also think you will be just fine, ... although an "almost-one-armed" man (like me) might have some awkwardness reaching over the "hood" from the driver's side using only the right arm.

Of course, blind drivers with no arms might still complain. :)

garygid said:
Apparently the "handle" is not standard, and not part of the J1772 specification. So, what one gets might vary.

The handle is shown clearly on pages 46 and 49 of the SAE J1772 document. These are mechanical drawings that show the entire handle from the car's connector to the cable.

No reason to reach across the car. Put wheel chocks on the floor that limit how far you can go into the garage and back in. You never need to worry about how far to go, you go until physically stopped by the wheel chocks (very carefully measured before permanent installation).

Then plug in with the garage door open and then close the door. Easy. :p

eta: "wheel chocks" in the simplest form is a two by four with a piece of wood that reaches to the garage wall. You can even pick it up when not parked so it isn't in the way.

garygid said:
Backing in, ... only works if there is enough side clearance for the driver to exit the car. :)
In terms of side-clearance req'd: What's the difference between backing in and regular pulling in ?

Pull in, and the driver's door might open into a "walkway", used to enter and exit the garage, with the passenger getting out before entering the garage.

Back in, and the car might need to block the walkway (possibly blocking the entrance to the house) to leave enough to room for the driver's door to open.

However, if the driver just exits the garage through its "front" door, that is different.

In our garage the entrance to the house is in the middle of the 2 cars. So I think I will be assembling some sort of suspension/retraction system on the ceiling so that the plug can be pulled down and charge the car on either side of the garage without people having to dodge or step over the cord.

The two of us spent 6 hours today organizing our garage, sorting and putting away holiday stuff, and trying to make more room in our cabinets. It seems like it is a never ending battle to keep the garage functional. We're hoping our Blink will be installed in 3 or 4 weeks, so wanted to make space for it. I envy people with a 3 car garage!! :mrgreen:

Azrich said:
I did this scale drawing in early June because our summer project (in 105 degree heat) has been to reclaim our garage. Only one car, a VW Beetle, has fit in it for years. We decided to have cabinets built along the left and back wall. I used this diagram when meeting with the cabinet guy. We have thrown out, given away, and Craiglisted tons of stuff so what we have left should fit in the cabinets. The cabinets will be installed this Friday, July 16.

The 1 foot deep wall cabinets on the left side will be at least 64 inches above the floor so an opened door will not hit the LEAF. God forbid!!

The LEAF will park on the left side with the EVSE on the wall near its front end. Our electrical panel box is on the outside wall at the lower left. Installers will just have to drill through the brick wall from the panel and then run conduit under the wall cabinets to the charger. Should be simple. If I want to charge it or another LEAF in the driveway, the 25 foot cord should reach easily.

The two walls where the cabinets will be, were painted off white this week. I used up a couple of old cans of paint. But the wall with the EVSE next to the LEAF will be painted Santa Fe Gold. It will be a nice contrast to the Planet Blue LEAF, the green EVSE, and toolbox. We'll be ready to give our LEAF a nice place to get juiced up!

screenshot20100711at141.png

evnow said:

Since this thread has been brought back to life.

My current plan is to use the "EVSE 2" position. Though with the information about just 18' of cable, I won't be able to charge a car standing outside the garage. But with EVSE 3 position, charging the car on the left side (where ICE is above) would also be a problem ...

Back