Who is driving 2013 Leaf? EPA range is 75 miles!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobsfreeleaf said:
ITS HERE, ITS HERE, ITS, ITS, ITS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got a call from my dealer. My S model is in the dealership. I am going NOW to sign the lease. They have not prepped it yet, but I will snap a pic or two, anyway. He said it was the first S model in San Diego County. I thought I had to wait 3 weeks. This is fun :D ..... Thx, Bob

Well don't car dealers know how to suck the joy out of buying a car... So, I get there a couple hours after being told the car was mine with check in hand, and after sitting in the waiting room with my kids for a few minutes I find out there is no car. Saleman says, "I am so upset, but, uh, it's first come first serve and someone is buying your car. I tell the salesman to advise the Manager you have two minutes to produce my car and went to the parking lot. The Manager then shows up and he says "that car is sold" and tries to offer me a $200 lease discount to go back on the wait list. I instructed them to cancel my transaction, refund my $300 deposit, and then I left.

I will be going to another dealer but I am starting think this $199 lease is a sham. I don't want to mention the name of the dealer, but I happen to know that at least one other dealer got a shipment today, so happy hunting! Just don't get scammed.
Bob

bobsfreeleaf said:
I don't want to mention the name of the dealer, but I happen to know that at least one other dealer got a shipment today, so happy hunting! Just don't get scammed.
Bob

That's fair enough; we only have two for 3.5 million people in San Diego; Mossy Nissan in 7 locations and Pacific Nissan.

bobsfreeleaf said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
ITS HERE, ITS HERE, ITS, ITS, ITS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got a call from my dealer. My S model is in the dealership. I am going NOW to sign the lease. They have not prepped it yet, but I will snap a pic or two, anyway. He said it was the first S model in San Diego County. I thought I had to wait 3 weeks. This is fun :D ..... Thx, Bob

Well don't car dealers know how to suck the joy out of buying a car... So, I get there a couple hours after being told the car was mine with check in hand, and after sitting in the waiting room with my kids for a few minutes I find out there is no car. Saleman says, "I am so upset, but, uh, it's first come first serve and someone is buying your car. I tell the salesman to advise the Manager you have two minutes to produce my car and went to the parking lot. The Manager then shows up and he says "that car is sold" and tries to offer me a $200 lease discount to go back on the wait list. I instructed them to cancel my transaction, refund my $300 deposit, and then I left.

I will be going to another dealer but I am starting think this $199 lease is a sham. I don't want to mention the name of the dealer, but I happen to know that at least one other dealer got a shipment today, so happy hunting! Just don't get scammed.
Bob

What the hell?? What was the purpose of your $300 deposit on the 2013? Was the one that came in for you or not your choice color/options/trim and that is why it got sold?

I would be fracking mad for my wasted time.

Ian B

@bobsfreeleaf I would recommend you check daily to see if your credit card was reimbursed for your deposit. We twice had nissan dealers promise the sun and moon, and after failing to deliver would not return our deposit. It turned into a months long ordeal to get our downpayment refunded.

Why not? I think it is both appropriate and a public service to list the dealers that are scum! Many such dealers are already listed by name on this forum.

bobsfreeleaf said:
I don't want to mention the name of the dealer

TomT said:
Why not? I think it is both appropriate and a public service to list the dealers that are scum! Many such dealers are already listed by name on this forum.

bobsfreeleaf said:

Hi all: The reason I don't want to say which dealer is that I don't know what really went wrong, if it was the salesman, the manager, or just a crummy system. Prior to this, I gave the Salesman high marks for his knowledge and customer service. This was not my actual reserved vehicle. It was the first S model received, and happened to be my color. So, the salesman called to offer it to me first. I think he was trying to do good.

I'm not too worried about getting the money back. I alway use American Express, and they do not hesitate to protect their members, and yanking the money back from unscrupulous venders.

Thx, Bobsnonexistentleaf!

Sorry to hear about your negative dealer experience.

I don't believe that the $199 lease deal is a "sham" as many people got that (or better) with their 2012's and it is the deal offered on Nissan's website. It's just that someone either screwed up and sold your car out from under you, or perhaps that other customer offered them a deal that they thought was better than yours.

Can you live without the 2013's added features? If so, and that dealer has any unsold 2012's left onthe lot, I would have told them to give me the identical deal on a new 2012 instead.

RonDawg said:
Sorry to hear about your negative dealer experience.

I don't believe that the $199 lease deal is a "sham" as many people got that (or better) with their 2012's and it is the deal offered on Nissan's website. It's just that someone either screwed up and sold your car out from under you, or perhaps that other customer offered them a deal that they thought was better than yours.

Can you live without the 2013's added features? If so, and that dealer has any unsold 2012's left onthe lot, I would have told them to give me the identical deal on a new 2012 instead.

Sure, I would have jumped at one of those 2012 deals many of you got. But, there have been no 2012 Leafs for a few weeks in San Diego. Like someone said, there are only two dealers here. The other thing I missed was the free charging stations which expired on Jan 31. I surely came a bit late to the party. My fear about the potential sham is that they appear to be building about one S model for every 10 of the others. Plus they will not apply those cheaper lease factors to the upper models. So, seems highly likely that the S models will be hard to get, and therefore sold rather than leased at the "deal" price. I will withold judgement, tho. I was also happy to get a deal consumated soon because the Calfiornia rebate fund is running low, and that would screw up my whole plan. Thx, Bob

Is it really worth it buying strip-down models. I always buy the top model, because in the end it adds only a few bucks to the monthly payments and since it is a long-term investment, might as well go the whole enchilada with all the bells whistles and trimmings.
You won't feel cheap or cheated in the top-of-the-line vehicle.
You deserve it! Treat yourself.

bobsfreeleaf said:
Sure, I would have jumped at one of those 2012 deals many of you got. But, there have been no 2012 Leafs for a few weeks in San Diego. Like someone said, there are only two dealers here. The other thing I missed was the free charging stations which expired on Jan 31. I surely came a bit late to the party. My fear about the potential sham is that they appear to be building about one S model for every 10 of the others. Plus they will not apply those cheaper lease factors to the upper models. So, seems highly likely that the S models will be hard to get, and therefore sold rather than leased at the "deal" price. I will withold judgement, tho. I was also happy to get a deal consumated soon because the Calfiornia rebate fund is running low, and that would screw up my whole plan. Thx, Bob

Are you willing to drive up to Orange County and either have the car delivered, or be willing to stop at a QC station on the way home?

If so, Tustin Nissan has (3) 2012 SL's in stock, all in Blue Ocean. You might be able to get a similar lease deal to that 2013 S, and you will get a nav system, QC port, and a backup camera as a bonus.

I bought mine from there and I have been very happy with my sales experience. Ask for Frank Consoli, their "Internet Sales Manager." PM me if you want his direct email address and direct extension at the dealership.

ILETRIC said:
Is it really worth it buying strip-down models. I always buy the top model, because in the end it adds only a few bucks to the monthly payments and since it is a long-term investment, might as well go the whole enchilada with all the bells whistles and trimmings.
A 2/3 year lease is not a long term "investment". No car is (except a rare one).

You can get an S for $199 - an SL may cost $335.

bobsfreeleaf said:
TomT said:

bobsfreeleaf said:

Hi all: The reason I don't want to say which dealer is that I don't know what really went wrong, if it was the salesman, the manager, or just a crummy system. Prior to this, I gave the Salesman high marks for his knowledge and customer service. This was not my actual reserved vehicle. It was the first S model received, and happened to be my color. So, the salesman called to offer it to me first. I think he was trying to do good.

I'm not too worried about getting the money back. I alway use American Express, and they do not hesitate to protect their members, and yanking the money back from unscrupulous venders.

Thx, Bobsnonexistentleaf!

it was the dealership. i worked at a few of them and it was not uncommon to do that for a favored customer or more likely, one who was willing to go full price.

if they looked at you as a motivated person, i would not put it past them to put you off a few weeks to get a fence sitter.

at least they didnt lie to you and say the car was scratched in transit and had to spend a few extra days in the paint shop (not a made up line...)

RonDawg said:
bobsfreeleaf said:

Are you willing to drive up to Orange County and either have the car delivered, or be willing to stop at a QC station on the way home?

If so, Tustin Nissan has (3) 2012 SL's in stock, all in Blue Ocean. You might be able to get a similar lease deal to that 2013 S, and you will get a nav system, QC port, and a backup camera as a bonus.

I bought mine from there and I have been very happy with my sales experience. Ask for Frank Consoli, their "Internet Sales Manager." PM me if you want his direct email address and direct extension at the dealership.

Thanks Ron: I will give him a call today. Smart idea! However, they only show one blue and one white one on the inventory. They may have sold a couple. Don't know about that white interior on a white car. I could always sell ice cream!
Bob

ILETRIC said:
You won't feel cheap or cheated in the top-of-the-line vehicle.
You deserve it! Treat yourself.

Did i mention I was Really, really cheap :roll: . Seriously, I have had really crappy cars and then I have had a loaded BMW, too. I would like to experience the electric vehicle, and do it as inexpensively as possible. At $199 a month, I am pretty confident I can do that. I don't believe cars are investments (well, unless you have a 65 mustang in your garage), just an appliance, but that does not diminish my commitment. I am also opposed to paying dealer mark up. I remember when I bought the first year of the redesigned Mustang (no hate mail please, I sold it!), and the California dealers were marking them up $5k above MSRP, I wound up buying my car in Texas for MSRP and having it flatbedded out to me for $700. If it is possible to get an upgrade to the luxury model, them I am all for it, but not for a 40% markup over the deal price. Take care, Bob

bobsfreeleaf said:
RonDawg said:
bobsfreeleaf said:

Thanks Ron: I will give him a call today. Smart idea! However, they only show one blue and one white one on the inventory. They may have sold a couple. Don't know about that white interior on a white car. I could always sell ice cream!
Bob

I spoke to him. Nice guy, but not a great deal. I did learn another aspect of the cheap $199 deal. In addition to the $2000 up front fee, there is CA sales tax on the $7500 federal tax credit, which adds another $600-$700 on top for Jerry Brown. Funny you don't find that in the small print. Too bad, the difference between the $2000 drive off and the $2500 CA rebate was going to be charger cable money. Take care, Bob

I spoke to him. Nice guy, but not a great deal. I did learn another aspect of the cheap $199 deal. In addition to the $2000 up front fee, there is CA sales tax on the $7500 federal tax credit, which adds another $600-$700 on top for Jerry Brown. Funny you don't find that in the small print. Too bad, the difference between the $2000 drive off and the $2500 CA rebate was going to be charger cable money. Take care, Bob[/quote]

You can get an EVSE upgrade cable for $300 bucks, have a 220 outlet installed for $70 and still be ahead.

Ian B

There isn't tax on the $7,500 rebate per se, you simply pay tax on the full value of the car. It is the same as if you have a trade-in: it doesn't reduce the sales tax that you pay on the new vehicle cost as it does in many states. California has always been that way.

MrIanB said:
I spoke to him. Nice guy, but not a great deal. I did learn another aspect of the cheap $199 deal. In addition to the $2000 up front fee, there is CA sales tax on the $7500 federal tax credit, which adds another $600-$700 on top for Jerry Brown.

You can get an EVSE upgrade cable for $300 bucks, have a 220 outlet installed for $70 and still be ahead.

Ian B[/quote]

Definitely going that route. My 40 amp 220 is getting installed tomorrow morning, and I am ready to send in the cable (as soon as I get a FRIGGIN CAR!! :roll: ) Thx, Bob

TomT said:
There isn't tax on the $7,500 rebate per se, you simply pay tax on the full value of the car. It is the same as if you have a trade-in: it doesn't reduce the sales tax that you pay on the new vehicle cost as it does in many states. California has always been that way.

MrIanB said:
I spoke to him. Nice guy, but not a great deal. I did learn another aspect of the cheap $199 deal. In addition to the $2000 up front fee, there is CA sales tax on the $7500 federal tax credit, which adds another $600-$700 on top for Jerry Brown.

Well, what the last dealer told me was that the reason he could not honor the $199 deal ($2,000 up front), was that the special excludes registration and tax (and floor mats) and maybe some other fees I forot. Typically, in a lease you pay your sales tax on top of your payments as you make them. In this case, he said the tax on the $7500 is owed up front, and he rolls it into the up front drive off costs, which he quotes as $3500, not $2,000. His monthly payment was higher than $199 too. This may be true or bull; not sure but, in any event, i'm still looking for that $199 deal. You know, the one the tax attorney worked up. Thx, Bob

bobsfreeleaf said:
I spoke to him. Nice guy, but not a great deal. I did learn another aspect of the cheap $199 deal. In addition to the $2000 up front fee, there is CA sales tax on the $7500 federal tax credit, which adds another $600-$700 on top for Jerry Brown. Funny you don't find that in the small print. Too bad, the difference between the $2000 drive off and the $2500 CA rebate was going to be charger cable money. Take care, Bob

Unfortunately that is life in the Golden State. Just like when buying an iPhone on contract, you pay sales tax on the full unsubsidized value of the phone, which in most counties adds about $100 to the overall price.

I did send you a PM with his contact info but it looks like you've already spoken to Frank.

Back