Who is driving 2013 Leaf? EPA range is 75 miles!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
I really don't understand why anyone is surprised by the very small increase in range... The car's weight is very nearly the same, the battery is the same, and the drive-line was already very efficient so there was little additional to ring out there... Only three things are going to significantly increase the range: a major reduction in weight, a larger battery, or a much more aerodynamic profile... The 2013 has none of these things.

mnsweeps said:
+1. Agree. I have already started looking at buying a lightly used 2012 Prius. I am so disappointed with the range if thats true...

agreed and does give somewhat of a picture of the Nissan "reaction time" the 2013 lowers its estimated fuel costs by 12+ % but increases range less than 3%. but promises a much better performance during Winter which "was" the primary complaint before last Summer.

So, can we expect optimization towards extreme heat conditions next year? i am guessing that is a very likely possibility. liquid cooling is out. we already know that but chilled air is being investigated.

will it be enough to overcome AZ's worst?

what i think we will see with the 2013 is great improvement in the North, very slight (to the point of many not noticing a difference) in the South

I haven't looked at the numbers but perhaps the reduction in "fuel" cost is simply because of an adjustment by the EPA on the cost of fuel or method used to produce the numbers and doesn't, in fact, reflect that much of a real world change from 2011/2012...

DaveinOlyWA said:
agreed and does give somewhat of a picture of the Nissan "reaction time" the 2013 lowers its estimated fuel costs by 12+ % but increases range less than 3%. but promises a much better performance during Winter which "was" the primary complaint before last Summer.

TomT said:
I haven't looked at the numbers but perhaps the reduction in "fuel" cost is simply because of an adjustment by the EPA on the cost of fuel or method used to produce the numbers and doesn't, in fact, reflect that much of a real world change from 2011/2012...

DaveinOlyWA said:

so that would apply to all 2013's then? i havent noticed a similar drop with any other model but then again, i dont devote a whole lot to tracking other cars i have no interest in

Well to all EVs at least, yes... A comparison with the 2013 and 2011/2012 Volt might be prove interesting...

DaveinOlyWA said:
so that would apply to all 2013's then? i havent noticed a similar drop with any other model but then again, i dont devote a whole lot to tracking other cars i have no interest in

TomT said:
Well to all EVs at least, yes... A comparison with the 2013 and 2011/2012 Volt might be prove interesting...

DaveinOlyWA said:

to be honest with you, i have lost a lot of faith in the EPA especially over the last few years (not as if i "ever" had a lot of faith)

its all supposed to be relative where you can take the raw number and compare it with one vehicle or another. that has been lost or at the very least vague with EVs and PEVs

evnow said:
Not sure what you guys expected. It is the same battery - so there won't be a miraculous increase in range. In earlier threads a lot of us talked about this.
TomT said:
I really don't understand why anyone is surprised by the very small increase in range... The car's weight is very nearly the same, the battery is the same, and the drive-line was already very efficient so there was little additional to ring out there... Only three things are going to significantly increase the range: a major reduction in weight, a larger battery, or a much more aerodynamic profile... The 2013 has none of these things.
Yes. I was surprised at the wildly optimistic expectations for an increase in range despite the nearly identical battery pack, aerodynamics, and drive train for the 2013 LEAF. It appears to be a misunderstanding about the silly MPGe numbers, which reflect increased charging efficiency. Why folks extrapolated those numbers to a large range increase is a mystery to me.

Even the much-touted increase in winter range due to the somewhat more efficient heat pump heater depends on whether or not one needs to use cabin heat. Some do, some of us don't, regardless of winter weather, thanks to preheating and the short time of a typical LEAF trip.

dgpcolorado said:
evnow said:
Not sure what you guys expected. It is the same battery - so there won't be a miraculous increase in range. In earlier threads a lot of us talked about this.
TomT said:
Yes. I was surprised at the wildly optimistic expectations for an increase in range despite the nearly identical battery pack, aerodynamics, and drive train for the 2013 LEAF. It appears to be a misunderstanding about the silly MPGe numbers, which reflect increased charging efficiency. Why folks extrapolated those numbers to a large range increase is a mystery to me.

Even the much-touted increase in winter range due to the somewhat more efficient heat pump heater depends on whether or not one needs to use cabin heat. Some do, some of us don't, regardless of winter weather, thanks to preheating and the short time of a typical LEAF trip.

i also think we need to take a step back here. Not sure that a complete reliance on what the EPA tells us is a good idea... :?

we are dissing Nissan's progress based on the EPA which has been questioned by us extensively in the past. have we forgotten that?

I for one will wait until we get some real people in the seats. as mentioned before, the improvements will be most beneficial to the North. If I take my "reasonable" range I am getting about 88 in Summer, 75 in Winter which is a weighted average of about 81.5 which is 8.5 above the EPA and that is attributable to the level of compromise I have personally accepted.

if we take that 8 off then its 66.5 in Winter, 80.5 in Summer. now, in real terms the 66.5 is more like 60 with heat and what not. Now, if the 2013 allows 70 miles in Winter with a reasonable amount of heat, I consider that to be huge.

now, we can make some assumptions (which I am sure will get me in more trouble and not less...) and figure the EPA test is not designed to differentiate between Winter performance and Summer performance but anyone with a Prius puzzling over their 42 mpg in Winter can tell us all about that issue, I have to think that the EPA's should be taken with a very small...no, make that a very very very small grain of Salt

DaveinOlyWA said:
TomT said:
to be honest with you, i have lost a lot of faith in the EPA especially over the last few years (not as if i "ever" had a lot of faith)

its all supposed to be relative where you can take the raw number and compare it with one vehicle or another. that has been lost or at the very least vague with EVs and PEVs
I thought most or all test are done by EPA but in fact they done by car manufacturers and certified by EPA. Not to look to far Ford c max. It is very likely that car manufacturers approaching tests most seriously now.

And remember the Hyundai debacle...

Since I rarely ever use the heater (probably less than one hand's worth of fingers in the two years I have owned it), the heat pump is not going to offer any practical improvement for me....
For those in REALLY cold climates, it likely won't either since you'll still need the resistance heater...

EdmondLeaf said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
TomT said:
I thought most or all test are done by EPA but in fact they done by car manufacturers and certified by EPA. Not to look to far Ford c max. It is very likely that car manufacturers approaching tests most seriously now.

anyone have a line to a detailed report of how the 75 miles was achieved? guessing its out there somewhere. at least we can see what they did to arrive at the figure?

DaveinOlyWA said:
anyone have a line to a detailed report of how the 75 miles was achieved? guessing its out there somewhere. at least we can see what they did to arrive at the figure?

Followed the EPA requirements for 5 cycle testing? Or is that too obvious?

DaveinOlyWA said:
i also think we need to take a step back here. Not sure that a complete reliance on what the EPA tells us is a good idea... :?

we are dissing Nissan's progress based on the EPA which has been questioned by us extensively in the past. have we forgotten that?

I for one will wait until we get some real people in the seats. as mentioned before, the improvements will be most beneficial to the North. If I take my "reasonable" range I am getting about 88 in Summer, 75 in Winter which is a weighted average of about 81.5 which is 8.5 above the EPA and that is attributable to the level of compromise I have personally accepted.

if we take that 8 off then its 66.5 in Winter, 80.5 in Summer. now, in real terms the 66.5 is more like 60 with heat and what not. Now, if the 2013 allows 70 miles in Winter with a reasonable amount of heat, I consider that to be huge.

now, we can make some assumptions (which I am sure will get me in more trouble and not less...) and figure the EPA test is not designed to differentiate between Winter performance and Summer performance but anyone with a Prius puzzling over their 42 mpg in Winter can tell us all about that issue, I have to think that the EPA's should be taken with a very small...no, make that a very very very small grain of Salt
Ok Dave, let's take a look at it from a non-EPA estimate perspective: "What is there about the 2013 LEAF that should lead to a significant increase in range versus the 2011/2012 version?"

• Battery? The size is reported to be the same, the weight slightly less due to packaging, the chemistry tweaked only slightly. No expectations of significant improvements there.

• Aerodynamics? They removed the side running lights but otherwise the car appears to be unchanged in size and shape. No improvements there.

• Mass? The USA 2013 models are only slightly lighter than the earlier ones. That could help mileage slightly in stop-and-go traffic but ought not to lead to any significant improvements when driving at constant velocity, especially at highway speeds. Might lead to a tiny improvement in energy use when climbing hills.

• Improved L2 charging speed? Helps with wall efficiency but has no effect on range.

• Improved motor, using fewer rare earth elements? May help with cost but the experts here—of whom I am not one—contend that the drive train is already highly efficient and that such improvements in motor efficiency would likely be small.

• Improvements in wheels/tires? The SL reportedly has 17 inch wheels which would have greater angular momentum that would lead to reduced mileage/range. The SV and S seem to have wheel/tire combinations similar to the older models, so no improvement to range.

• Thermal Management of Battery? None reported. No improvement in range.

• Heat pump heater? Will lead to improved range only for drivers who use the cabin heater a lot in moderate climates. And that is user discretionary for the current model LEAF so improvement depends on the driver preferences and climate. Some improvement in range for some drivers, almost none at all for drivers who don't use the cabin heater much, such as me.

• Headlights? The S model has less efficient headlights; the SV and SL have the same headlights. No improvement to range.

Ok, I give up, just where is this magical significant improvement to range supposed to come from? As I said before: I don't get it. Whether the EPA numbers are revised slightly upward or downward, whether they are based on a different protocol seems irrelevant to me. There just isn't anything about the 2013 LEAF that ought to lead to a significantly improved range versus the 2011 or 2012 models, save for the batteries being newer and less degraded, which doesn't count.

DaveinOlyWA said:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, it doesn't say how the weighting or adjustments were done. Note that the "High Speed" test had an average speed of 48 MPH, but had substantial time between 60-70 MPH, and briefly went up to 80 MPH.

I was really hoping to jump on 2013, but right now I do not see any good reason. Range is basically same, but I need range because no infrastructure. 13 S looks not as good as 12 SL and in fact is more expensive than 12 SL. I am very happy for people living in colder part of the country because they may gain some range during cold weather. Hope Nissan will offer similar deals on 13, but so far it appears best offered on S with default 6 kWh charger package is $249/mo with 2K down (so far I was not able to see any S with 3.3 kWh charger).

Stoaty said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cold weather test doesn't mention flipping the heater on. If true, seems an obvious omission, since the heater makes a noticeable difference on range.

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Followed the EPA requirements for 5 cycle testing? Or is that too obvious?

does it tell me the LEAF got XX miles on part one, XX miles on part 2?

knowing they do this for 800 seconds, that for 700 seconds just does not do it for me. it really means nothing. i am not the scientific guy who can plug it into 2nd year calculus and create real life out of it

so if i assume that each part of the test is good for 20% and that all the improvement was on part 5 and that improvement is diluted across the other 4 parts which everyone tells me wont change, then it sounds like a great improvement on part 5...but i already said that

Iowa92x said:
Cold weather test doesn't mention flipping the heater on. If true, seems an obvious omission, since the heater makes a noticeable difference on range.
There have been posts about this earlier too. The test was made for ICE - which gets "free" heat.

Anybody taken delivery of a 2013 yet?

Still no word on the "official" rating?

I was under the general impression that an EPA range rating was required prior to any sales.

Statik:
...Nissan got in contact with me this morning (on a Saturday morning no less), and that although these cars have what look to be official EPA/Monroney stickers that, Nissan is still saying they dont yet have the EPA rating, and "these are projected figures and not official."...

Back