Why is it so hard to believe?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Computerizer

Why do people have such a hard time understanding what it means to have an electric car?

Last night I gave a ride to a friend (who happens to have a Masters degree in Engineering from the University of Cambridge). I started driving and he says, "So, how much gas does this use?"

Of course my response is: "None, it's electric."

Him: "Oh. So, it's not a hybrid."

Me: "Nope, 100% electric."

Then he started asking the usual smart questions, like how far can it go on a charge, how long does it take to charge, etc.

But later, when driving him back, he started another series of questions, including: "So, it basically has no emissions?" "There's no gas tank at all?" "It doesn't have a tail pipe?"

Why is it so hard for even a highly educated engineer to grasp the full implications of an electric car without having to ask all these questions?

Computerizer said:
Why is it so hard for even a highly educated engineer to grasp the full implications of an electric car without having to ask all these questions?
Paradigm Shift.

Computerizer said:
Why do people have such a hard time understanding what it means to have an electric car?
I think it is because most people are completely unaware that there exists a mass-produced battery electric vehicle without a built-in range extender.
Computerizer said:
Last night I gave a ride to a friend (who happens to have a Masters degree in Engineering from the University of Cambridge).
I'm going to guess he is not an electrical engineer.

Computerizer said:
I think he's a sustainability engineer, oddly enough...
O.K. While I'm not exactly sure what that is, I would expect someone with the title "sustainability engineer" to have some level of knowledge of a mass-produced BEV which has been around for over two years and has sold over 50,000 copies.

RegGuheert said:
Computerizer said:
O.K. While I'm not exactly sure what that is, I would expect someone with the title "sustainability engineer" to have some level of knowledge of a mass-produced BEV which has been around for over two years and has sold over 50,000 copies.
Energy-efficiency/waste reduction/recycling etc.

GRA said:
RegGuheert said:
Computerizer said:
Energy-efficiency/waste reduction/recycling etc.

Regardless of which flavor of sustainability he studied, efficient transportation options should be in his wheelhouse.

A couple of paradigm shifting answers to common questions:
Q:"how far can you go?" A:"we've gone eleven thousand miles, so far."
OR
Q:"how long does it take to charge?" A:" a few seconds, I plug it in & go into the house."
I was sure my wife would be a sensation, a local hero as she drove around town in her zero-emission marvel. Safe to say I'm disappointed. VERY FEW people notice, the occasional look and point, a handful of parking lot conversations. They are not aware, or not sick enough of buying gasoline. Yet. ML

I get the same disbelief about my Leaf being purely electric as well...including from my father (also an engineer). I guess when some folks hear "electric car" they envision a glorified golf cart in both styling and performance, and the Leaf simply blows their preconceptions out of the water.

I bought an electric motorcycle a few days ago, and it has made an impact with the gear heads that the Leaf has not been able to do in the two years I have been driving it to work.

I think the populace is in a carbon monoxide induced stupor, which we have to wake them up from. That is my best explanation to the original question.

KJWL said:
I was sure my wife would be a sensation, a local hero as she drove around town in her zero-emission marvel. Safe to say I'm disappointed. VERY FEW people notice, the occasional look and point, a handful of parking lot conversations. They are not aware, or not sick enough of buying gasoline. Yet. ML

You wife needs to visit gas stations more often, buy lotto tickets etc, wear a bikini.. its for the good of the Planet :)

I work for the Electric Cooperatives of Oklahoma and have for years. We bought our Leaf last May but yesterday was the first time I drove it to work (I have a company car and the hubby typically drives it on his 50 mile round-trip commute) on our board meeting day -- so I got to show the car off to our 60 member board of directors.

I think I took about 15 people for rides in the Leaf -- they all looked under the hood. I probably spent a couple of hours over the course of the afternoon explaining everything to them. They were all impressed.

Had one guy stand along side the car as we were about to take off and say "Let's see if I can outrun you in this thing." Needless to say, he was surprised when I floored it and took off. :)

Several people comments on how roomy the car was -- especially the guy who is 6'5" who sat in the backseat on his ride. Three of the riders are seriously considering purchasing/leasing a Leaf now -- two of them already have charging stations at their offices thanks to the Chargepoint program that gave employers free charging stations.

Had several comments about how surprised they were at the instant pick up the Leaf has... many were shocked how easily I got it up to 70 mph on the highway.

It is still amazing to me that people in the electric utility industry were surprised by the car. I told them all "I am walking our talk." :)

I don't have a Leaf yet, but am seriously considering purchasing one...so, not as perhaps a member with full publication rights, I offer this as an observation to the question presented here.

It would be like, (here in the Chicago area,) if I took someone for a ride in my UFO they might respond by saying much of the same thing; "Wow, I've heard of these..ever since Roswell and Area 49, and while I actually saw one once, (a Leaf that was parked in front of the Panera Bakery which is a few blocks from where I live last summer, ((I left a note on the back of my business card saying, "Good on You. Would love to talk with you about your Leaf sometime," but I never received a call,)) and I can't believe that I am riding in a real mass produced car for the public right now. Yes perhaps an electric car that someone made out of a Pinto in his garage, but a real factory produced car, I'm shocked beyond belief!!"

There may very well be a Leaf in my future. I went to the closest dealer the other day, but they didn't have any in stock to show or sell. Hum, maybe that's why these seemingly crazy questions exist?

@greengate - it seems that the mid west dealers are out until the MY13's hit...any day now..Hey I just checked the Nissan website, the MY13 is finally listed starting at $28k!! YEAH!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

@KJWL - I really like your different take on the standard questions. I'll have to remember that the next time I get the questions.

Benjenn said:
I work for the Electric Cooperatives of Oklahoma and have for years. We bought our Leaf last May but yesterday was the first time I drove it to work (I have a company car and the hubby typically drives it on his 50 mile round-trip commute) on our board meeting day -- so I got to show the car off to our 60 member board of directors.

I think I took about 15 people for rides in the Leaf -- they all looked under the hood. I probably spent a couple of hours over the course of the afternoon explaining everything to them. They were all impressed.

Had one guy stand along side the car as we were about to take off and say "Let's see if I can outrun you in this thing." Needless to say, he was surprised when I floored it and took off. :)

Several people comments on how roomy the car was -- especially the guy who is 6'5" who sat in the backseat on his ride. Three of the riders are seriously considering purchasing/leasing a Leaf now -- two of them already have charging stations at their offices thanks to the Chargepoint program that gave employers free charging stations.

Had several comments about how surprised they were at the instant pick up the Leaf has... many were shocked how easily I got it up to 70 mph on the highway.

It is still amazing to me that people in the electric utility industry were surprised by the car. I told them all "I am walking our talk." :)

Maybe when it's time to get a new company car, you can convince them to give you a Leaf. And perhaps your own personal CHAdeMO charging station :p

greengate said:
There may very well be a Leaf in my future. I went to the closest dealer the other day, but they didn't have any in stock to show or sell. Hum, maybe that's why these seemingly crazy questions exist?
The shipments from Japan stopped last Fall, and the deliveries from Tennessee have not yet started. Most remaining stock left the showroom floors with the exceptionally low lease rates.

Back on topic, people I talk to don't find it so much "hard to believe" as they are "amazed" that it has come to market without their knowledge. I've encountered only two people (the second just yesterday) who, before seeing a LEAF -- our car -- for the first time, knew it was battery-only. I believe that most casual readers may read "battery-only" in magazines or ads, but file that knowledge in the existing "hybrid Prius" pigeon-hole in their brain. When actually encountering a BEV for the first time, their gyros tumble and all the fuel tank, back-up engine, tail pipe, etc. questions pour out automatically. However, our friend's next question after his wife commented that their monthly fuel bill had topped $600 last November, was "How do we get one of these?" They already have close to 6000 miles and the four drivers in the family fight over who gets to use it. :D

HighDesertDriver said:
"...readers may read "battery-only" in magazines or ads...
I think the reason for the questions is they are NEVER advertised, at least not here in Kansas City. I saw a Nissan commercial last summer and you'd have to know that one car that's barely visible in the crowd of cars in that video was a LEAF. They're all about advertising the Altima here.

I check the car ads in the Sunday Kansas City Star and there is NEVER an ad for a LEAF. If the dealers don't advertize them, the general public doesn't know about them; therefore, no demand created for them. This is frustrating to me, but it pretty much explains all the questions, since people haven't heard of them here. I've had a few rare instances of interested parties in the grocery store parking lot or in Walgreens' parking lot, but it's very rare. That big zEro emission on the body grabs a little attention, though...so I do a bit of free advertising myself! :D

Back