Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tampa Bay just picked up 9 Leafs for ther municipal use.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2020/12/01/city-of-tampa-purchases-new-electric-vehicles.amp.html

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1125097/russia-electric-car-sales-by-model/#:~:text=With%20over%205.5%20thousand%20vehicles,sold%20electric%20car%20in%20Russia.

Leaf still doing well in mother Russia

[Mod note: merged new topic into this thread]

DougWantsALeaf said:
Tampa Bay just picked up 9 Leafs for ther municipal use.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2020/12/01/city-of-tampa-purchases-new-electric-vehicles.amp.html

I think Japan just loaning Nissan 2 billion dollars for financing cars to be sold in the USA market place will let Nissan cut deals like never before. They seem to be pulling out all stops to keep Nissan out of bankruptcy in 2022 I guess. Nissan has stated saving the USA market was key to going forward.

https://carbuzz.com/news/japan-loans-nissan-2-billion-to-sell-more-cars-in-america

DougWantsALeaf said:
Leaf is still the leader in Ukraine.

https://open4business.com.ua/registrations-of-electric-vehicles-in-ukraine-in-jan-nov-decreased-by-2-to-6823-units/

I never expected 92% of their EV sales were used imports. I wondered where used Leafs went when traded in.

Re: Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

Because it's so cheap compared to other EVs on the market. I bought a new 2020 LEAF SV Plus with Tech and All Weather for $20,100 + TTL after the $7,500 tax credit and $2,500 state mail in rebate.

I was deciding between a Bolt and Model 3 as well. The Bolt and M3 had a better range and liquid cooling. The Bolt didn't have power seat, adaptive cruise, lane centering. The M3 had too much controls on the touchscreen and cost double the price. The Bolt would have cost about $3000 more and didn't have anything similar to ProPilot which I used a lot in my 2019 Leaf. So in the end I traded in my 50,000 mile 2019 40 kWh Leaf for a 62 kWh Leaf for $5,600 out of pocket.

Triggerhappy007 said:

Because it's so cheap compared to other EVs on the market. I bought a new 2020 LEAF SV Plus with Tech and All Weather for $20,100 + TTL after the $7,500 tax credit and $2,500 state mail in rebate.

I was deciding between a Bolt and Model 3 as well. The Bolt and M3 had a better range and liquid cooling. The Bolt didn't have power seat, adaptive cruise, lane centering. The M3 had too much controls on the touchscreen and cost double the price. The Bolt would have cost about $3000 more and didn't have anything similar to ProPilot which I used a lot in my 2019 Leaf. So in the end I traded in my 50,000 mile 2019 40 kWh Leaf for a 62 kWh Leaf for $5,600 out of pocket.

You got EVs on the cheap. Cheap has been the image of Nissan. Their ICE cars are cheap yet a good value life wise. Cheap Leafs have been a boom for Tesla. While Ariya is said to mean Ray Of Hope I am not sure about that with a $40K to $60K price tag however. When they start rolling off the line in TN they will be more believable. I do think some will be built in Japan especially if the England factory shuts down due to no Brexit deal.

Our 2016 Leaf SL is the 6th Nissan I have owned since Mar 1973. Two made it to 200,000 miles and two others had 150,000 miles on they when I sold or gave them away due to lack of anti lock brakes and airbags. Oct 2019 I decided the EV era was here to stay but I did not have cash for a Telsa. I found the 9/12 bar 2016 Leaf SL for $13,418 with 21,600 miles and trailered it 200 miles to get it home. Five weeks later it lost the 4th bar giving me a low mileage 2016 EV with a 2020 40 kWh battery for $13,418.00 which was not as good as your deals but worked in my case.

Triggerhappy007 said:

Good deal

Triggerhappy007 said:
So in the end I traded in my 50,000 mile 2019 40 kWh Leaf for a 62 kWh Leaf for $5,600 out of pocket.
That is cheap ... IF the LEAF is the only car you need. If you own another car to fill in when the LEAF cannot fill the duty then you have some more calcs that have been ignored.

“Why would anyone buy a Nissan Leaf right now?”

I bought 4 since this thread was started so I must be nuts 🤣

Biggest reason is my wife loves them.

#1 2015 SL - Bought it for local trips and price was reduced $17,500 off MSRPNegotiated $5000 dealer discount, +$5,000 NMAC cash + $7,500 tax credit.

#2 2018 SV w/40 Kw battery - Bought it for increased local range to reduce range anxiety.

#3 2019 SL Plus w/62 Kw battery. Bought it primarily to commute 120 miles between house and remote cabin weekly. No more range anxiety at all.

#4 2020 SL Plus. Bought it after the 2019 allowed us to survive being T-boned. Was impressed with crash worthiness.

Triggerhappy007 said:

That would be equivalent to about a $13,000 Dealer discount off a $43,000 MSRP in Texas AND assuming that you can delete all the dealer "add-ons". Exceptional! The best I've been able to do in the Houston area of Texas is around $11,000 off a new 2019 SV plus and I'm thinking that was a simply offered to get me to the dealer - could not find it in their inventory :mrgreen:

Marktm said:
Triggerhappy007 said:

That would be equivalent to about a $13,000 Dealer discount off a $43,000 MSRP in Texas AND assuming that you can delete all the dealer "add-ons". Exceptional! The best I've been able to do in the Houston area of Texas is around $11,000 off a new 2019 SV plus and I'm thinking that was a simply offered to get me to the dealer - could not find it in their inventory :mrgreen:
Close, mine has the $695 premium paint so $44,545. That's almost as much as the SL. Dealer discount was $6800, Nissan cash $6000, SV Tech cash $2000. $1000 dealer add ons that I negotiated down to $400. Other dealers in Dallas have add on packages as high as $3000. This was the last Leaf on their lot and it's been there since February so I think that's why they offered such a high dealer discount.

If anyone is looking for a lease, Clay Cooley Nissan is doing $99/m plus $0 down + taxes & fees. This is for the 2020 SV with Tech package.

If your looking for a high optioned Leaf a SV w/tech is the best value at this time due to $8,000 in rebates.

Here in southern Florida leafs seem to loose about 4-5% battery capacity each year from date of manufacture. We had option of purchasing a 2020 SV Plus that has on the dealership lot for 317 days with manufacture date of 12/19 or a 2020 SL Plus that was on the lot for only 15 days with manufacture date of 10/20.

The SV+ could have been bought for about $3,000 less than the SL+ due to extra SV Tech rebates and MSRP differences.

The SV Plus had been sitting outside by a heavily traveled city road. The paint felt like sandpaper due to contaminants. Last time we bought a leaf that was sitting on dealership lot for almost a year the SOH was 94% when we got it. Our “fresh” 2020 SL Plus we purchased has a SOH of 99.10% as measured with leaf spy the day we picked it up.

Without a doubt a SV+ w/tech and w/all weather option is a great heavy featured Leaf. The only real difference is leather and Bose. The Bose is a watered down Bose.

We like the leather because we found the cloth on our 2018 SV was difficult to vacuum the white doggie hairs that stick into it from our Jack Russell.

LeftieBiker said:
Without a doubt a SL+ w/tech and w/all weather option

The components of the All Weather Package (heated seats & steering wheel, heat pump) are all standard on the SL. It's just the SV that you have to check for the AW package.

It was a typo, they meant to say SV, not SL.

LeftieBiker said:
It was a typo, they meant to say SV, not SL.

I don't think so, because they also mentioned "leather" and the Bose stereo, which are found only on the SL.
Let's see if this will change your mind:

Without a doubt a SV+ w/tech and w/all weather option is a great heavy featured Leaf. The only real difference (between the SV and SL) is leather and Bose. The Bose is a watered down Bose.

Back