Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GaleHawkins said:
2x is main when one forgets to plug in or have an overnight power outage and don't have a backup generator.

We are talking about 2x to cover much higher than EPA type consumption

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
I usually suggest not using more than 50% of the battery when new on any frequent trips.
I'm guessing you mean that new battery range should be ~ 2x frequent trips.

Yes. Also some variability among brands. And some variability among drivers (as you mention). And routes and weather, a larger reserve would be needed for Yukon than for West Coast climates. Think about all those factors.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html

That's why I said "battery" rather than "EPA range".

Since I'm in LA area, cold weather/snow/slush isn't a factor for me. Also due to traffic, sadly the amount of 75MPH driving is mostly when I'm on the NW side of LA, which means only about half the distance. I'm not an aggressive driver, I get about 15% more m/kwh in the Leaf than my wife does.

My normal commute, unless traffic warrants the longer route, would be 130 miles round trip. So charging to 80% to preserve the battery provides a full 50% reserve for contingencies, route changes and degradation over the years. And after years of degradation, I figure I can bump up the % that I charge to so as to maintain comfortable reserve. I estimate this should work well for me until retirement - planning on 7 years.

Of course, only real experience will tell for sure. I did decide against ordering the AWD version figuring that would take a bite out of range to be on the safe side - I have yet to see published range on their AWD version. Again, in LA area, don't need AWD, and not being aggressive, the normal one has plenty of zip for me.

I'm really happy with the Clarity. For my commute, I'm averaging 110mpg (actual mpg - gallons pumped in since delivery date vs. miles on Odometer). I roughly calculate that the switch to this PHEV eliminated 95% of my gas consumption from the ICEV I used for the commute prior to this one. Part of that is I can frequently charge at work, so I can get a good EV distance both ways. But the charging at work isn't reliable, so I want the range flexibility. I figure the 250 range of the VW will do that. And of course the PHEV has unlimited range - though at the expense of burning gas.

My wife will move up from the 2013 Leaf to the 2018 Clarity. She is a little prone to range anxiety so this will help with that.

For overnight power outages, I do have solar and powerwall. But even more important, I will still have an ICEV and the Clarity PHEV with unlimited gas powered range to switch to when needed. I'm not yet making the switch to being an EV only family - probably not until I retire and don't have a commute.

DarthPuppy said:
I'm really happy with the Clarity. For my commute, I'm averaging 110mpg
I roughly calculate that the switch to this PHEV eliminated 95% of my gas consumption from the ICEV I used for the commute prior to this one.
Were you driving a semi ?

DarthPuppy said:
Since I'm in LA area, cold weather/snow/slush isn't a factor for me. Also due to traffic, sadly the amount of 75MPH driving is mostly when I'm on the NW side of LA, which means only about half the distance. I'm not an aggressive driver, I get about 15% more m/kwh in the Leaf than my wife does.

My normal commute, unless traffic warrants the longer route, would be 130 miles round trip. So charging to 80% to preserve the battery provides a full 50% reserve for contingencies, route changes and degradation over the years. And after years of degradation, I figure I can bump up the % that I charge to so as to maintain comfortable reserve. I estimate this should work well for me until retirement - planning on 7 years.

Of course, only real experience will tell for sure.

Sounds like a good plan and a good choice, but I'll bet you will still occasionally slow down a little when front facing winds are strong.

My arithmetic would be a little different than yours:
Start with 250 EPA miles
Presume 80 - 10% SoC between charges, so 175 EPA miles
20% safety margin for varying conditions and driving, so 140 miles

This is why high speeds and front facing winds may come into play. You would do well to always have a plan 'B'

SageBrush said:
Were you driving a semi ?

:lol: 22mpg. Thinking more about it, the 95% is skewed upward because all the weekend driving I do on the Clarity is EV only. If I isolate just the work commute for analysis, I now burn 1 gallon per short route roundtrip instead of 6 so closer to 80%. The 95% is versus total consumption, not just the commute. Sorry for the confusion.

DarthPuppy said:

Made my first trip in my new SV Plus to our cabin that is right at 100 miles one way. It is mostly rural highways with a number of small town stops. Being retired, I can max out at 65 mph - mainly to not hinder the other drivers that want to go 75. I pull over to the shoulder to let them pass when possible. I charged at the cabin, so I had to do some back calculating, but I'm convinced I can do the entire round trip of 200 miles with about 40-50 miles left (100% charge setting). Next trip will be an 80% charge both ways, just to see if the numbers make sense. Conditions: 75 to 85 oF, windy - mainly cross winds both ways, A/C on most of the time, 40+ psi tires. I use LeafSpy Pro as my data source.

I got used to pushing the limits of my 2012 Leaf using LS set at 0% and appropriate mi/kWh and leaving 5-10 miles "safety". Never had a problem with range anxiety - with a 60-70 mile range battery (100% charge to turtle). Kinda miss the little go-cart!

So for a second year in a row I had to show the tech at Nissan the page in the manual where it states the battery check is free for the first 2 years. The refill to Nissan codes are conveniently vanishing. Anyone else getting the same hassle?

We still fully enjoy our Leafs, but it still feels like support is starting to fall away.

I do think if priced right, Ariya would actually help Leaf sales as people would cross shop at the dealer. Man they need to hurry up though as MachE and ID4s start appearing everywhere (in addition to 3/Y).

DougWantsALeaf said:
So for a second year in a row I had to show the tech at Nissan the page in the manual where it states the battery check is free for the first 2 years. The refill to Nissan codes are conveniently vanishing. Anyone else getting the same hassle?

No hassles for me from my dealer service Dept. They knew that the first 2 years of battery check was free.
They just typically ask about replacing the cabin filter, but don't push for it.

For the last 2 years I've been taking my Leaf for annual inspections and battery checks to the same dealer where I purchased the car, despite it being 50 miles from my house. This dealer had a good reputation for dealing with EVs for a few years before I got my 2018, so I figured they know more about EVs than the local dealers in my area. However, this year I will try out a local -- and much closer -- "highly rated" Nissan dealer, to see if the locals have caught up with EV experience.

DougWantsALeaf said:

We still fully enjoy our Leafs, but it still feels like support is starting to fall away.

I do think if priced right, Ariya would actually help Leaf sales as people would cross shop at the dealer. Man they need to hurry up though as MachE and ID4s start appearing everywhere (in addition to 3/Y).

It would suck to have the Ariya replace the LEAF. There is more than enough room for both. I am guessing Nissan is coordinating the loss of the fed credit with the Ariya arrival so many double sure the Ariya has the sufficient number of bells to warrant its higher price.

All in all, Nissan is no better than all the legacy auto manufacturers. Token EV products. Many say they are changing; Ford, Chevy, VW... well, I guess we shall see but that change always seems to be a few years down the road. We only need to look at EU and other places to realize that the slow pace of change is simply due to our letting it happen. We are still a country addicted to oil

DaveinOlyWA said:
It would suck to have the Ariya replace the LEAF.
It is all about CARB compliance in the USA. If the Ariya has sales that meet CARB requirements then the LEAF is yesterday's news. And if CARB decides to tie credits to EV range the LEAF is dead and stomped on.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-04/nissan-delays-release-of-flagship-electric-car-amid-chip-crunch

I haven't read anything as to the fate of Leaf or Nissan itself in governments rush to EV's.

The article is about the Ariya being delayed.

Does anyone have contact with anyone in the Leaf factory in Tennessee? If so are Leafs still in production or stockpiled in inventory lots?

All of the Ariya photos I have seen are right-hand drives. If Nissan doesn't tool up to build it in the USA there goes the hope of a $12,500 tax credit.

My searching for indications that Nissan will be around 8 years from now replacing battery packs didn't booster my confidence. That is the main reason I didn't sell our new like 40 kWh battery and buy a new Leaf instead having a 2016 Leaf with a salvaged title. Hope to get it back from the body shop by the 4th of July.

The on slaugt of coming $20K EVs from China will make it hard to sell $20K Leafs I expect.

GaleHawkins said:
Does anyone have contact with anyone in the Leaf factory in Tennessee? If so are Leafs still in production or stockpiled in inventory lots?
I do, but I can't use their name here for obvious reasons. They are still building them (not as many as other models though). But they have the same chip shortage issue because while a lot of parts are unique to the Leaf, there is still a lot of common tech that Nissan uses on all vehicles. I haven't talked to them since the last EV event, so I don't know if anything has changed since last month. At least in TN, dealerships are still *getting* new 2021 Leaf to sale, but they usually are just the SL+ and SV+ models because those are what is in demand at the moment (according to the people I know at some local dealerships). Used Leafs fly out of the dealership the day they put them up, no matter how old. I don't know if people are really buying them or it they just get sucked in to Carvana for example. I tracked my 2013 Leaf when I traded it in. It sold to an *actual* person after only 2 days of being for sale at the dealership. To be fair, I left all of my tweaks on it (trailer hitch, LED everything bright lights, good Ecopia tires, etc.) so that may have helped the person decide they wanted it? ;)

Evs are like Flat screen TV. We are still in the era of rapid change where every couple years the screen size (range) gets larger and the features go up and prices come down. My 84 mile 2013 Leaf cost more than my 2019 Leaf Plus, which had nearly triple the range and better safety tech.

https://carbuzz.com/news/nissan-shuts-down-production-of-maxima-leaf-and-murano

What happens after the 6-week shutdown of the Leaf production will be interesting.

I saw that. Guessing Leaf isn't quite dead. Does anyone have a view as to current dealer inventory? I was surprised recently when one of our local Nissan dealers had 5 more Leafs show up, when they usually carry 1.

Back