Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frontrangeleaf said:
I don't fast charge ever, charging exclusively at home, but I thought the Leaf Plus can charge at up to 100kw, tapering to 70, and then down to 50.

No?

I believe you are right however in all my 10 or so fast charges in the last 1 year I have not come across any charger that delivers that speed. I charge on EvGo occasionally and almost always the charge starts around 47kw and then tapers down as the SOC comes close to 80%.

At the evgo near my house, thet recently put in new chargers. If arriving at 6 battery bars and a low state of charge, car will hit upper 70s until 30ish % on the dash (40% Leaf Spy) and then slowly ramp down.

On my road trios with the Leaf Plus, even at faster chargers, I rarely see over 55 or 60 even in ideal SoC and battery temp conditions.

frontrangeleaf said:
I don't fast charge ever, charging exclusively at home, but I thought the Leaf Plus can charge at up to 100kw, tapering to 70, and then down to 50.

No?

No. Chademo won't do that in most cases so you are limited to around 200 amps which is no more than 80 KW. So depending on starting SOC, you might start at 70, get as high as 75 then taper.

DaveinOlyWA said:
No. Chademo won't do that in most cases so you are limited to around 200 amps which is no more than 80 KW. So depending on starting SOC, you might start at 70, get as high as 75 then taper.

So far as I know, the 62 kWh LEAF is limited to 200 Amps max so 'most cases' is all cases.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

So far as I know, the 62 kWh LEAF is limited to 200 Amps max so 'most cases' is all cases.

I have seen more than that in my LEAF so the limit is questionable. I believe its rated to 250 amps. In most cases, the limitation is almost always the station.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I have seen more than that in my LEAF
How much more, for how long, and at what pack temp and SoC ?

I do agree though that the question is moot in the face of CHAdeMO infrastructure not being over 200 Amps (if that). And without liquid cooling, any thoughts of a meaningfully faster charging session is a no go anyway. As is, how long does 70+ kW continue ? A minute ?

Outside of the science experiment video from 2019 showing the Plus pulling 104KW, in the wild, the highest screenshot I have seen is 80.

I just wish more of the 200amp chademos would reliably let me pull that 75KW figure. Except for the evgo sites, which are usually metro, not highway, 60 is about it (which is still nicer than 42).

DougWantsALeaf said:
I just wish more of the 200amp chademos would reliably let me pull that 75KW figure. Except for the evgo sites, which are usually metro, not highway, 60 is about it (which is still nicer than 42).

In ideal conditions, for how long can you pull 70+ kW ?
What is your average kW charging from 20% - 70% SoC ?

@ BrockWI, good video. He did mention the comfort issue but he missed what he doesn't understand. For the elderly, "comfort" includes ease of entering and exiting. Over a year or so we tried three different Bolts and found all of them uncomfortable and hard to get into. For us the leaf won hands down. There are things I like about the bolt - range, CSS charge port, cost , etc. but not enough to buy one.

Chevrolet has an history with electric vehicles. It cancelled and destroyed the EV1 and has stopped production of the Volt. Will the Bolt survive the gas guzzling GM management?

I haven't done a 20-70% at the local evgo mainly because it's kind of silly, but maybe worth doing it for science. In 10 minutes it charged a little over 11kWh, or around 20% per LS, maybe a couple more percent on the dash.

In my stop at the world's largest truck stop, I went from 21% to 90% in 49 min. The charge went from 50KW up to 55KW, and then stepped down to the 20s when we disconnected. 36 kWh added per the app. I didn't think that was too bad after a couple/few hours of driving.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I haven't done a 20-70% at the local evgo mainly because it's kind of silly,

Silly, as in not enough range to get to the next charging stop ? I think of it as a good benchmark because the low end is about where some feel anxiety, and above 70% the average charging speed takes a nosedive

I say silly, as it's 4 miles from my house, so why wouldn't I just charge at home. The only use case would be if I needed to go far and forgot to charge overnight.

...but for science, I will do it for this board :)

DougWantsALeaf said:
I say silly, as it's 4 miles from my house, so why wouldn't I just charge at home. The only use case would be if I needed to go far and forgot to charge overnight.

I thought you had switched your trip charging planning to charging just enough to reach the next stop and to charge in the lower half of the SoC range.

Ah ok, I misunderstood.

Yes, here were the later charge times and power charged. In general wanted to charge enough so that we arrived at next stop with 20%, as going lower would cause us to lose the battery cooling gained between stops. The bottom of the pack would get back to the upper 80s, which is plenty low enough for a full speed charge. The top would go down to 110s.

Naperville 5kWh added (25kWh charging)
Bettendorf: 27 min 20 kWh charged. (44kWh avg)
Walcott: 49 min 36 kWh charged ( 44 kWh avg)
Colfax: 27 min 20.5 kWh charged ( 45 kWh avg)

<<Pack is fairly hot now>>

Bevington: 42 minutes 25 kWh charged (35 kWh avg)
Bethany: 35 min 21.5 kWh charged (37 kWh avg)
Cameron: (approx) 30ish minutes 18 5 kWh charged (this one had the reboot and stuck charging cable incident so avg rate is not clean)

When looking at the data, I guess the strategy wasn't too bad. That extra 45-50 kWh of power at 36kWh avg added 1:20 in charging time. We waited for a charger reboot of over 10 min, and just the time to make 4 additional stops (vs 3 normally) easily added another half hour. It all adds up.

Still interested in seeing a full power charge from 20-80% (which if really 30-80% behind the scenes) to see what a best case charge could be.

I'm confused by your posts with lines like these:
"Naperville 5kWh added (25kWh charging)"

"a 45-50 kWh of power at 36kWh avg"

Are you saying you added 5 kWh? 25 kWh is what? If you're talking about charging rate, that's in kW.

For the latter, are you talking about 45 to 50 kWh of energy? 36 kWh is what? If it's charging rate, that's kW.

What does "Cameron: (approx) 30ish minutes 18 5 kWh charged (this one had the reboot and stuck charging cable incident so avg rate is not clean)" mean?

kW is a unit of power. kWh is a unit of energy.

cwerdna, if Doug has been on this forum 9 years and still doesn't get kWh vs kW right every time, you may consider letting it go. Not everybody has a dedicated neural circuit for comparing and transforming energy and power units, not everybody has the energy to grow one.

Haven’t read the whole thread but my answer to the subject question is - it is a great reliable car. I generally use DC fast charging and I live in a moderate climate. This has been an ideal EV for me.

cwerdna, if Doug has been on this forum 9 years and still doesn't get kWh vs kW right every time, you may consider letting it go. Not everybody has a dedicated neural circuit for comparing and transforming energy and power units, not everybody has the energy to grow one.

And speaking as one of those mentioned above who owns a similar car, I read the entire post and absorbed the info as intended without noticing the error. My Dad would have shuddered but for me the info is interesting and informative.

Back