golfcart
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:08 am
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:23 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
Sell post upgrades. They can remotely engage cash flow as needed:)
Yes that is a great point. People spend thousands of dollars on exhaust systems, cold air intakes, headers, and aftermarket tuning to get more power out of ice cars...
2018 SV

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11474
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:Having spent a lot of years in California, I can assure you your contention that seat heaters are not needed is quite wrong. Our ability to adapt is quite small. A Washingtonian visiting California wouldn't need seat heaters but Californians would.

I remember jumping out of bed to stand in front of the wall heater (only heat in my apartment) to warm up because I was freezing. The temperature? 65º
True story.

I've not used seat heaters in my 3.

But I used it regularly in Leaf & Volt.

I guess, I don't bother because of the 300+ mile range.

Another thing funny - we get a little range anxious when the remaining range goes below the usual range of Leaf. Infact I charge 3 when it goes below 100 miles.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10641
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:04 pm

I've yet to turn my on either, other than to test them...
evnow wrote:I've not used seat heaters in my 3.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11474
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:05 pm

golfcart wrote:I'm still kind of angry at Elon for not putting heated seats in the $35k model. It makes me wonder if they actually want to sell any of those or if they just want to say they kept their promise.
If you have never had seat warmers, you won't miss them.

SR to SR+ is a small premium and well worth it. I'm sure most people would get SR+. Afterall, this is true for most cars - the absolute base car, few buy.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

GRA
Posts: 10897
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:03 pm

SageBrush wrote:
golfcart wrote:I'm still kind of angry at Elon for not putting heated seats in the $35k model. It makes me wonder if they actually want to sell any of those or if they just want to say they kept their promise.
That caught my attention too, but I would not care about it if I lived in a temperate climate like CA. In fact, I would appreciate not paying for something I would never use. Since CA is a HUGE market for Tesla your argument that demand for that model will be poor reads like sour grapes.
I was born and have lived all my life in the Bay Area, and appreciate the heated seats in my Forester. Indeed, that's one of the reasons I opted for the middle (XS) rather than the lowest (X) trim when I bought it. On cool or cold (for California) days I use them first thing when I get into the car until the engine heats up and I can use the heater, or else just the seats on days when there's no need for cabin heat. They are very nice not just when I'm up in the mountains, but also locally. Having the ability to remotely heat the cabin is nice and would lessen the need for seat heaters, but at a considerable increase in energy use. So, they may be less of a benefit for a BEV, but could still be a nice to have. After all, if remotely heating the cabin removes any need for seat heaters, why would you want them in ANY trim?

However, I much prefer cloth seats, so I'd have a dilemma. And I really don't want a glass roof in either hot or cold temps.
IIRC, a $2,000 upgrade that includes a better interior, heated seats, and a larger battery is offered. That strikes me as the sweet spot in value.
Yes, although I'd prefer non-power seats. I can see the benefit if you have multiple people driving the car regularly. As I don't, there's no value to me for the extra money, and they're far more likely to break and need expensive repairs.
Last edited by GRA on Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

golfcart
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:08 am
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:43 pm

evnow wrote:If you have never had seat warmers, you won't miss them.

SR to SR+ is a small premium and well worth it. I'm sure most people would get SR+. Afterall, this is true for most cars - the absolute base car, few buy.
I have had heated cloth seats and a heated steering wheel on my 2015 Leaf for the last 3.5 years and I use them all the time from December-March it saves me quite a bit of range by not using the heater. I like saving range whether I have 300 miles or 50 miles because it saves me money and it cuts down on energy use. The only time I use the cabin heater is if I need to defrost or if I have the family in the car.

The SR with heated cloth seats would be ideal for me. I don't want autopilot, don't care about fake leather, and don't need more than 150 miles range so 220 is no different than 240 in my book.
2018 SV

Durandal
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:55 am
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:19 pm

I took delivery of my dual motor model 3, and it's a f'ing rocket ship! I was sad having my first electric car (the Leaf) put onto the truck as my trade-in, but as soon as I stomped on the go pedal, I forgot all about the Leaf. And now, it means I don't have any more reason to come on here any more. :lol:

It was fun.
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf SL, traded it in and now I'm a very happy Tesla Model 3 owner.

User avatar
dgpcolorado
Posts: 3111
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Location: The Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:23 pm

evnow wrote:...I've not used seat heaters in my 3.

But I used it regularly in Leaf & Volt.

I guess, I don't bother because of the 300+ mile range...
By contrast, my heated seat is on the low setting from late fall to early spring here in the mountains. I don't usually bother with HVAC, save to defog the windshield as needed, since I am dressed for winter anyway and the heated seat is enough for comfort. When I do use the heater I generally set it to 61ºF so that it isn't uncomfortably warm.

What I miss about the LEAF is the heated steering wheel — I make do with touch screen gloves but it's not the same!
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

Valdemar
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:48 pm

Seat heaters go well with leather seats even in SoCal, not really needed for cloth IMO.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1493
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357
Location: Anaheim

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:33 pm

In my testing the seat heaters work fine in my leather !0niQ. In Southern California I may never use them.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”