Official Tesla Model Y Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
danrjones said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
with full tax credit.

I have an Ioniq 5 reservation, and Hyundai finally reached out to me to share some online video tours coming up, and ask about my order details. But my response was that I can't confirm trim level without a spec sheet and prices. They answered that they understood, and that could be finalized later. Based on rumors and such, I think the lowest trim level will start around 47-49k. Not sure if they will have option packages, or just three trims. *IF* I do order it, it would almost have to be the bottom trim. My wife prefers the look of the Etron Q4 - which i agree, looks nice - and rumor is that the bottom trim for it will start at 45k. But Audi tends to love option packages, so until I can see the prices and specs sheets, hard to compare. If I'm right, the Q4 could start cheaper than the Ioniq 5. T.B.D.

At least in the UK, the bottom trim isn't offered with AWD (or the big pack, but we know that'll be the only one on offer here), only the middle and top trims. I forget, but (given your Outback) didn't you want that?

The current plan is to slowly upgrade our EV, but keep the outback. Someday when the EV can be be a one size fits all and truly replace our Outback, then maybe. Since we are a two vehicle family anyway, it works. Plus my son will be learning to drive in a few years, so having the older outback is probably a good idea.

The Outback is still required to reach a lot of destinations in our area that my Leaf simply cannot. I'm hoping that each time we move to a new EV it expands the areas we can reach. Certainly this next upgrade - whether a Chevy Bolt EUV, or Ioniq 5 or Q4 or ??? will expand my reach quite a bit.

2 Questions for Y owners. My friend ordered a Y to be delivered next week. He won’t have charging capability at his house yet and may need to charge at my house either using my Nissan EVSE or my 50 amp receptacle.

Does the Y come with an adaptor so he can use my Leaf L2 J1772 EVSE?

Does the Y come equipped with an adaptor to plug into a 50 amp 14-50R receptacle?

Thanks in advance.

Flyct said:
2 Questions for Y owners. My friend ordered a Y to be delivered next week. He won’t have charging capability at his house yet and may need to charge at my house either using my Nissan EVSE or my 50 amp receptacle.

Does the Y come with an adaptor so he can use my Leaf L2 J1772 EVSE?

Does the Y come equipped with an adaptor to plug into a 50 amp 14-50R receptacle?

Thanks in advance.
All Teslas come with a J1772 adapter (your friend should check for it on delivery, it is helpful to have).

All Teslas come with a "gen 2 mobile connector" (MC) with a NEMA 5-15 adapter. Last I checked, the NEMA 14-50 adapter had to be purchased separately (and is sometimes out of stock). It may be available from the service/delivery center or purchased online:

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

Hope that helps.

The NEMA 14-50 adapter used to be included with the mobile connector until 2 years ago or so. I tell everyone to buy one ASAP.

DougWantsALeaf said:
This model Y owner sold and moved to a Leaf.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/437741293059829/permalink/1938689196298357/
From that exchange:
What made you decide to sell the Tesla?

a dealer offered $9k above MSRP for my used model Y which I can't refuse. Also, I've been working from home so don't need the extended range, so I decided on the Leaf, which has the best reselling value after the Tesla.
If I was offered $9K above what I'd paid, I'd sell a car that I wasn't using and buy one for half the price, too.

jlv said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
This model Y owner sold and moved to a Leaf.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/437741293059829/permalink/1938689196298357/
From that exchange:
What made you decide to sell the Tesla?

a dealer offered $9k above MSRP for my used model Y which I can't refuse. Also, I've been working from home so don't need the extended range, so I decided on the Leaf, which has the best reselling value after the Tesla.
If I was offered $9K above what I'd paid, I'd sell a car that I wasn't using and buy one for half the price, too.
Doug has ***very*** selective hearing

Flyct said:
He won’t have charging capability at his house yet
I'll never cease to be amazed by how clueless new EV owners can be.

He may wish to revisit his home charging plans -- they sound complicated if he cannot get things sorted out by the time the car shows up. All he really needs is a 14-50 receptacle at a convenient location. He can then either use the mobile EVSE that comes with the car, or buy a dedicated EVSE with a 14-50 plug if so inclined at a later date. To use the mobile EVSE at 32 Amps he needs to buy this adapter:

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

Chop, chop

Or just plug into a 120 volt household socket. If his commute is under about 80 or 90 kilometres a day he is good to go. The Tesla (just like every EV) comes with everything he needs to charge.

I think in the US many garages have a 120 volt 20 amp receptacle. He can spend 40 or so bucks and increase his charge speed by about 25 percent and just by the Tesla Nema 20 amp 120 volt adapter for his Tesla supplied EVSE. It makes a difference.

I think that most garages in the US have at least one 120 volt circuit, but they are usually 15 amp. If the circuit is mostly unloaded that allows a typical 1200 watt EVSE.

LeftieBiker said:
I think that most garages in the US have at least one 120 volt circuit, but they are usually 15 amp. If the circuit is mostly unloaded that allows a typical 1200 watt EVSE.

Thanks Leftie. Sounds like I may have been misinformed. It’s pretty much the same here in the great white north.

Cheers.

LeftieBiker said:
Garages built to also serve as workshops usually have at least one 20A circuit, but I think the majority don't.
Some of it depends on location. In warm climates, such as southern California, the laundry area is often in the garage, which usually means a 30 amp 240 volt outlet for the clothes drier. In snowbelt climates, such as mine (and yours I would guess), the laundry room is located inside the house to protect water lines from freezing, so a 240 V line in a garage is less common.

If the electrical panel is in or near the garage, adding a 240 V line and outlet can be quite easy. It certainly was in my house — the cost of installing a 14-50 outlet by a professional electrician was less than $150 — I had him use 6 gauge wire even though it was a very short run because I wanted it to handle a continuous high current with minimal voltage drop. It would have been less if I had done the work myself.

YMMV, of course.

dgpcolorado said:
I had him use 6 gauge wire even though it was a very short run because I wanted it to handle a continuous high current with minimal voltage drop.

Was this THHN in conduit? A circuit using NM-B cable requires 6 gauge wire or bigger for 50A.

LeftieBiker said:
Garages built to also serve as workshops usually have at least one 20A circuit, but I think the majority don't.

My vague memory of the NEC from 30 years ago is that new-build garages, bathrooms and kitchens were supposed to have 20A circuits, the latter two at least GFCI'd, but I may be mis-remembering about the garage, at least in the NEC rather than local codes (the latter were stricter) - I found this from the NEC online, showing a change dating from 2017:
210.11(C)(4) Garage Branch Circuits.

At least one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be installed to supply receptacle outlets in attached garages and in detached garages with electric power.

Code Change Summary: A new code section was added to require a 20 amp circuit for a dwelling unit garage.

Similar to the requirements in the NEC for 120-volt, 20 amp circuits in the bathroom, laundry and kitchen areas of a dwelling, now one is required for dwelling unit garages.

Not all dwelling units have a garage. For those that do, whether attached or detached, if the garage is supplied with electric power, at least one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit must be installed to supply garage receptacle outlets.

The intent of the code change was to address the use of cord and plug connected garage appliances and many portable tools that commonly draw 12 to 16 amps. This is just too much for the typical 15 amp garage branch circuit that often supplies the garage lighting outlet as well.

The last sentence of the code change states that this garage circuit shall have no other “outlets”. This means anything besides garage receptacle type outlets. The way the code change is written, it would be a code violation to supply the garage lighting outlet from this branch circuit, but the exception allows the circuit to also supply “readily accessible outdoor receptacle outlets”.

“Readily accessible outdoor receptacle outlets” are those receptacles that can be reached without using a portable ladder (see Article 100 definition of Readily Accessible). Holiday lighting receptacles up under the eaves will most likely be accessible rather than readily accessible.

Below is a preview of Article 210. See the actual NEC text at NFPA.ORG for the complete code section. Once there, click on their link to free access to the 2017 NEC edition of NFPA 70.

2017 Code Language:

N 210.11(C)(4) Garage Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be installed to supply receptacle outlets in attached garages and in detached garages with electric power. This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Exception: This circuit shall be permitted to supply readily accessible outdoor receptacle outlets.
https://www.electricallicenserenewa...ation-Courses/NEC-Content.php?sectionID=233.0

Of course, most houses are pre-2017, but at least here in California a lot of them also serve as laundry rooms. OTOH, many of the ones I know of use gas dryers, so while they may have a 20A circuit for that, 240V for an all-electric dryer as dgpcolorado mentions is less common, at least in the older homes I'm familiar with.

Well, regardless of how many 20 amp circuits there is out there, I can tell you that a 20 amp service makes a noticeable difference on charging speed if you can tell your EVSE to use it. In the early days a lot of our hospitals in the interior took a short cut to EV parking by putting in a half dozen or so dedicated 20 amp receptacles for dedicated EV charging spots. With the Tesla mobile connector you can get the appropriate adapter from Tesla and the EVSE signals the car that 16 amps at 120 volts is available. For a two or three hour charge it actually made a noticeable difference although technically it was only 25 percent.

Jmho

webeleafowners said:
For a two or three hour charge it actually made a noticeable difference although technically it was only 25 percent.

It is probably over 25% since the 'charging overhead' of the cooling fans, electronics load, etc is the about same at 15A vs 20A so the remaining power available will have a bigger delta.

goldbrick said:
webeleafowners said:
For a two or three hour charge it actually made a noticeable difference although technically it was only 25 percent.

It is probably over 25% since the 'charging overhead' of the cooling fans, electronics load, etc is the about same at 15A vs 20A so the remaining power available will have a bigger delta.

Yah that makes sense. But yep, 20 amp 120 source can be a problem solver for some who need a little more than what a 15 amp connection will provide. Really, if your daily commute is less than 100 km a 20 amp 120 volt connection will suffice.

Yah that makes sense. But yep, 20 amp 120 source can be a problem solver for some who need a little more than what a 15 amp connection will provide. Really, if your daily commute is less than 100 km a 20 amp 120 volt connection will suffice.

You can also turn that 20A 120 volt circuit into a 20A 240 volt circuit, with minimal changes to the wiring, and the substitution of a double breaker. That would allow charging at 16A, 240 volts.

Back