GRA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:04 pm

Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:49 pm
GRA wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:26 pm

You've got it bass-ackwards - I'm ready for BEVs, but BEVs and their infrastructure aren't ready for me, although they're finally getting close. Since many of my friends like to visit similar areas and do similar things, few of us are able to make the switch, even though we're all environmentalists who'd love to be able to wave good-bye to fossil-fuels. So, we make other choices to limit our energy/resource use in the meantime. One of my friends once wrote that he wanted to live a low-production, low-consumption, low-waste lifestyle very much under his own direction. I feel much the same. He's been a winter backcountry Ranger/hutmaster in Yosemite for 45 years now and is now in his mid-70s, skiing 9 miles each way to/from the trailhead to the hut, plus skiing or skating while there almost every day of the winter (Of course, there's no charging at the trailhead, although I've been trying to get some there for several years). In short, we're not members of the "shop for happiness" brigade.

Having gotten quite a few people to seriously reduce or eliminate their fossil-fuel use in their homes (see my sig), I suspect I'm a better advocate of same than you are, but that's not important. What is important is that people have to be willing to get off fossil-fuels, and you have to provide them with a non-fossil fuel option that is an improvement by their standards, not yours. As most of them are satisfied with the capabilities of their fossil-fueled ICEs and are unwilling to give those capabilities up, you have to provide them with a better option. Telling them they have to make more stops for longer in a limited number of places; choose where they can go and stay based on this or that on-line map/website and whether or not their car is compatible with this type of charger; monitor and calculate energy use and learn to make allowances for different conditions and degradation, are things that the average member of the general public can't be bothered to do. Their attitude is "Why should I - who needs the hassle"?
That right there is the problem! Just like your life has been a series of trade-offs, so are theirs.

Whose life isn't a series of trade-offs - yours? Get real.

Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:
b ut neither of you have understood what trade-offs you've made in order to continue using fossil-fuels, because you believe BEV's drawbacks outweigh their benefits. You think that minimizing gasoline consumption (as opposed to eliminating it) legitimizes your view that BEV's aren't good enough yet to replace your current vehicle. And you impress upon your friends that very viewpoint despite the possibility that they very well benefit more from a BEV despite the drawbacks that you constantly harp about. Copper shots indeed.

Oh, we understand the trade-offs, and have chosen to make them. I will tell my friends and casual acquaintances who are interested both the benefits and drawbacks of BEVs for their situation, possible compromises they could make if they wish, and so on. In short, i'll give them every piece of relevant info pro and con, but ultimately it's up to them to decide if that makes sense for them.

Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:
For every 4 people I talk to about switching to BEV's (because their lifestyle would actually benefit from it), only 1 are actually convinced enough to make the change. And 100% of the time, they're always sorry for NOT having done so sooner! Because people like you fill them with doubts about what kind of life changes they'd have to make to accommodate living with a BEV.

I'm interested in providing full information, not a one-sided view where I've stuck my thumb on the scale. I have one friend who could certainly use a BEV in his family as one of their three cars, and I've informed him of the advantages but he's not interested, nor are many others. He's got a 4Runner with full steel brush guards front and rear, but he's only once ever put the car into 4WD, and that was to get out of a muddy parking lot. I once asked him why he had those heavy, expensive guards when he would never use them. He said "Because they look cool". His priorities are more representative of the general public's than are the attitudes of most of the people who are members here.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:34 am

Can you move this to another thread? Like "Why GRA claims's he's for BEVs, but won't use one"?
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
88K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:54 am

Why are Model 3's not making it Germany? Even the Leaf outsold it in October.

https://i.imgur.com/FYonrT6.png
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:31 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:54 am
Why are Model 3's not making it Germany? Even the Leaf outsold it in October.

https://i.imgur.com/FYonrT6.png
It's called "the wave" delivery method. The cars are sent out in batches (~3000 per boat), and they didn't send out any ships in the last few weeks of Sept to minimize how much cars are "in inventory", so there aren't any product to deliver in Oct. It's a well known Tesla phenomenon that the first month of every quarter has the lowest deliveries for every quarter. Plus they have nationalistic pride (totally normal) to sell against too, so Germany may never be as big of a european market as Norway or the UK for Tesla.
:: Model 3 LR :: acquired 9 May '18
:: Leaf S30 :: build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
100% Zero transportation emissions (except when I walk) and loving it!

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:37 pm

jlv wrote:
Can you move this to another thread? Like "Why GRA claims's he's for BEVs, but won't use one"?
Nah. Now that I've had my exercise in futility, I will shut up.
:: Model 3 LR :: acquired 9 May '18
:: Leaf S30 :: build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
100% Zero transportation emissions (except when I walk) and loving it!

GRA

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:19 pm

jlv wrote:

That title is inaccurate (coincidentally I'm trying to rent a Bolt next week), but the discussion here is certainly OT.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

DougWantsALeaf

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Tesla owners. Do you have the ability to disable the cellular connection and prevent updates from being applied? Anyway to keep Tesla from collecting and tracking your data/location.
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:28 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm
Tesla owners. Do you have the ability to disable the cellular connection and prevent updates from being applied? Anyway to keep Tesla from collecting and tracking your data/location.
You can choose to not apply updates. I skipped them for a while. But you can't choose what updates you get. It's an all or none choice. But yes you can simply not update the car. And if you dont want to get them you could not connect to WiFi and pull the Sim card for the cellular connection. Not sure why you'd want to do that. The upgrades are an awesome feature. Car has many more features than when I bought. But I do wait for the update to be out a while to insure it's stable before upgrading my car.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

TonyWilliams

Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:53 am

GRA wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:26 pm
- I'm ready for BEVs, but BEVs and their infrastructure aren't ready for me, although they're finally getting close. Since many of my friends like to visit similar areas and do similar things, few of us are able to make the switch, even though we're all environmentalists who'd love to be able to wave good-bye to fossil-fuels.
You’re not an environmentalist if you’re driving a fossil fuel powered car in 2019.

I’m dumbfounded why you keep preaching anti-EV BS on this forum, for almost a decade. Why haven’t you gotten that hydrogen car that you seem fond of?

The simple answer is, at the core, you prefer oil and fossil fuels over being an environmentalist, because of your misguided self interests, and poor knowledge of EVs. The rest of us are just “doing it”, and you’re still finding reasons why to support oil.

While you and your like minded friends have been polluting the air, and promoting oil infrastructure, I’ve driven about 300,000 miles with all-electric power:

2012 - Mexico to Canada BC2BC (2012 Nissan LEAF, sold)
2013 - Canada to Mexico BC2BC (2012 Toyota RAV4 EV, now with 115,000 miles)
2015 - 600 miles from San Diego to Sonoma in one day (2012 Toyota RAV4 EV)
2015 - USA coast-to-coast (2015 Tesla Model S-70D, now with 127,000 miles)
2017 - 2019 - every July 4 weekend, 1300 miles with Tesla from San Diego to Montana in about 26 hours

I’ve driven more EV trips from San Diego to all parts of North California more times than I can count. Going to western USA parks is so easy, it makes your sad excuses seem like they are from a child.

If you can’t afford a proper EV, that’s one issue. But, your diatribes here are beyond tired and lame.

You are NOT an environmentalist. You and your friends are a proud oil consumers.

DougWantsALeaf

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:12 pm

The reason why I ask, is that I don't know if I really want Tesla Perusing all of my driving data. If you were to equate Tesla to the cell phone, often on a branding front, its compared to Apple....but if you think about it, Tesla is more akin to Samsung/Google where behind the scenes they are monetizing the data you provide freely back to HQ. Its why the Chinese are quite comfortable with their model. It makes it very easy for them to keep tabs on their populous. If you pull the sim card and disable wifi, at least you can stop that tracking.

Those free updates...aren't free.

Glad to see Tony back on the forum!
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”