abasile
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011

Re: Nissan LEAF Engineering Team Visit December 3rd

Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:32 am

DannyAmes wrote:Solar panel in the rear is dumb! Get rid of it unless it could to something more useful like power an exhaust fan on hot days.
Yes, its value is limited, but as we've speculated elsewhere, it might actually help to extend the life of the 12 V lead acid accessory battery by keeping it topped up. If nothing else, it looks sort of cool. Now, covering the entire roof with thin film solar would be truly cool even if economically questionable.
2011 LEAF at 71K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 98K miles
LEAF battery: 9/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-28% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

TEG

Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:35 am

abasile wrote:Tesla Model S covers the rooftop with solar; now that's truly cool even if economically questionable.
No, you are probably thinking of Fisker Karma, not Tesla Model S.

Last edited by TEG on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

abasile
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011

Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:36 am

TEG wrote:
abasile wrote:Tesla Model S covers the rooftop with solar; now that's truly cool even if economically questionable.
No, you are probably thinking of Fisker Karma, not Tesla Model S.
You're right. I caught myself and edited the post, but a tad too late. :mrgreen:
2011 LEAF at 71K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 98K miles
LEAF battery: 9/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-28% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

davewill

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:28 am

TEG wrote:Dislikes:
... Headlight housings look too strange sticking out so much ...
I thought that they protruded to deflect air around the side mirrors and reduce drag...besides, it's about the only distinctive feature the car has.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:58 pm

This picture shows the solar cells in better detail, what solar cells?

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/19/fi ... e-or-july/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Herm on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:09 pm

TEG wrote:Dislikes:
Basically no available CHAdeMO public charging locations
Headlight housings look too strange sticking out so much
White interior (too easy to show stains) should be dark gray
They're coming soon! We just had two installed in Phoenix!
If you don't know the reason for the bulbous headlight housings, it's for lower wind noise. So the question is: Would you rather have housings that don't stick out so much OR more wind noise? I choose less wind noise.
The LEAF's interior is light gray even though it may look white and I agree could be darker. But seat covers take care of most of it.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

mckemie
Delivery Date: 25 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1008

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Dislikes:
The SMRD (silly miles remaining display) should be replaced with an accurate and high resolution state of charge indicator
There should be some feedback to the driver when friction braking is being used.
Lose the silly automatic transmission creep simulation.
VIN 1008 delivered 5/24/11
Turned 10k trouble-free miles 12/13/11
83% battery capacity at 18k miles 8/4/12
Silver plain-jane
30 miles south of Austin, Texas

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:21 pm

mckemie wrote: Dislikes:
Lose the silly automatic transmission creep simulation.
Don't mean to turn this into a discussion thread (we can start another thread to discuss creep, if there isn't one already) but http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/03-12051.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 'explains the whole rationale about "creep" force and directional cueing for a driver' (to steal the verbiage from http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/ca ... kfarm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for hybrids.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Leaf is subject to the above or a similar rule elsewhere in the world.

Perhaps there should be another thread to discuss the points brought up here and to keep this thread clean (only containing likes and dislikes)...

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

gascant
Delivery Date: 13 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2209

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:25 pm

Well it's pretty clear that State of Charge (SOC) is high on peoples' lists for improvement. Keep the suggestions coming.
We don't need to start another thread on creep. The idea is to gather the information in one place to make it easy to assemble and present. So if creep is something of a hot topic, discuss away.....
2011 LEAF SL brilliant silver + QC
DRL's, Seat Heaters, Horn, LEDs and EVSE upgrades
Over 24,300 miles gas-free
http://sfbayleafs.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JimSouCal

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:58 pm

My **paramount request** is that Nissan, from a high value marketing and strategic engineering standpoint, thinks of the LEAF as a the basis for an ongoing company customer relationship. In practice, this would include:

Upsells in the form of future battery technology standardized to work in current and future model years
Ongoing software upgrades in performance and information technology
Retrofits of charge points and chargers, and even piloting considering novel ideas like a towable battery pack to enhance range that could be rented from one dealer vendor and dropped at another...

The value of early adopters in launching this technology does not escape NISSAN, and to me, explains the care they took to maintain a relatively low market pricing that resulted in a segment penetration strategy.

Thus, reprogramming of the ECO and D mode, along with using the existing display to provide a true SOC fits this category. Same for the brakes and regen matters... Maybe a sport mode for steering, and sport model in the future

Not mentioned so far is using the LEAF service as a kind of Lojack, that to my knowledge currently is not offered as a part of carwings.

After reading many of the requests and concerns, likes and dislikes, many of these specific requests, ideas, and suggestions fall into such a philosophy that focuses on a longterm customer relationship approach

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”