Heater type? Does the underhood get very cold?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nater

Hi all. Please point me to the right thread if this has been discussed.

My RAV4 EV was equipped with a combination heat pump A/C unit. In the summer, the A/C would run and heat up the underhood temperature. This is the same as an ICE car. In the winter, however, it would CHILL the underhood components. My windshield washer solvent would freeze, so I switched to that ultra-low temperature solvent (to which the guy at the parts store would tell me every time how stupid I was for buying it since it didn't get that cold in Colorado, LOL). Sometimes frost would form on just the hood or some of the underhood components. I also imagined the motor and differential oil would get extremely cold and less viscous, contributing to range reduction in winter.

So, does the Leaf have a heat pump? Does the underhood get very cold? Have any of you had to switch to the ultra low temp solvent to prevent it from freezing in the winter?

Nate

My (limited) understanding:

A Heat Pump can be one-way or reversing.

An HVAC system is "Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning", and it MIGHT contain a Heat Pump, that COULD be reversing, and, for humidity control, it might even have simultaneous heating and cooling functions.

Fabulous news about the heater.

Yes, I know A/C is a heat pump. but having a system that can reverse was rather complex on the car. Also, sometimes you want both the A/C and the heat, and the RAV4 couldn't do it.

Nate

That is why heat pumps use reversing to change modes, and resistance heaters for supplementary heat and some defrosting.

Back