Help please. Interesting problem if someone is a tech

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bscmobile

Here is the issue. I have a 2013 Leaf SV and I came home the other day, plugged in the level 2 EVSE and went inside. I was at the LBW at 8 miles left. When I came out the next morning I was at 11 miles. I tried to plug in the EVSE again and it flashed the first blue light. I heard the two beeps and the relays kicking over and then nothing. No joy. I hooked the OBD2 ELM to leaf spy and checked everything out. Lots of codes so that wasn’t getting me anywhere. I saw a few low battery warning related to the 12v battery. I just purchased a brand new one, restarted the system. Still has the exclamation mark. I ran the DTC’s again. I’ve attached the screenshot below. Any help would be greatly helpful. I love my leaf and don’t want to drive a gas guzzler.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsO_H1HWlImygclBsdfVZDrLkeDRzA

All these codes are related to the CAN buss communications. Were they detected before or after the new 12V aux battery was installed? Many times a weak worn out or old 12V can cause issues with the CAN buss.

Do you have a volt meter--measure the battery voltage while OFF with the key out, then start the car and measure the voltage. Just because it was "new" doesn't mean it was charged up fully if it has been sitting on the shelf for any length of time it could be less than fully charged. If you have a 12V battery chargger then use that to charge up the aux battery to ensure it is a good strong battery.

Considering your issue occurred during EVVSE charging of the pack and it failed, then there is a possibility that the On-board Charrger has an issue, but that is very rare and no DTCs were thrown for the OBC. So clear up the 12V issue and then see if the pack will chargge, and if not check the DTCs again.

Good luck i hope it is just a weak 12V.

Auto parts stores don't usually charge 12 volt batteries before selling them, because the alternator in a typical car or truck will charge the battery right up on the first drive. In the case of the Leaf, though, it's more hit or miss - and mostly miss. While the charging system in the Leaf is capable of charging a 12 volt battery fairly quickly, it isn't programmed to do so. Fully charge the 12 volt battery with an external charger, clear the codes, and try again.

It was a brand new battery purchased yesterday. I put the battery on a one amp trickle charge and made sure the battery was fully charged using a multimeter before I installed it.

Those codes were thrown after the install of the new battery. Are used to leave spy to clear all of the old codes and then tried to start the system. Those were the codes that would not clear. I will assume they are persistent problems instead of historical.

bscmobile said:
Here is the issue. I have a 2013 Leaf SV and I came home the other day, plugged in the level 2 EVSE and went inside. I was at the LBW at 8 miles left. When I came out the next morning I was at 11 miles. I tried to plug in the EVSE again and it flashed the first blue light. I heard the two beeps and the relays kicking over and then nothing. No joy. I hooked the OBD2 ELM to leaf spy and checked everything out. Lots of codes so that wasn’t getting me anywhere. I saw a few low battery warning related to the 12v battery. I just purchased a brand new one, restarted the system. Still has the exclamation mark. I ran the DTC’s again. I’ve attached the screenshot below. Any help would be greatly helpful. I love my leaf and don’t want to drive a gas guzzler.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsO_H1HWlImygclBsdfVZDrLkeDRzA

Did you clear the codes and restart the charge? The flashing blue lights? How many flashes? One flash only says your proximity sensor is working. Did you hear the beep as well?

Some codes are harder to clear, and may require disconnection of the 12 volt battery for a longer period of time. The fact that they were thrown after the new battery was installed, though, suggests that the battery having been old may not be the only issue. The fact that all of the error codes seem to be related to the CAN BUS is odd...

Some OBD2 dongles can cause problems on the CAN bus. I'd try clearing as many codes as possible, then remove the dongle, followed by a battery disconnect and let it sit for 30 minutes before reconnecting the battery and see what happens. Leave the dongle disconnected throughout.

When the problem first appeared I could plug-in the charging cable and the first blue LED would flash one time then you would get to beeps like it was charging but no flashing. After following the advice about the battery I disconnected it for a short time hooked everything up again, But this time no beep, no flash, and no charge. I have left the battery out for almost 2 days now. The OBD two connector is disconnected so I will try again in the morning and see if there is any change.

Back