santa barbara to san francisco?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themotorman

I wondered if it is reasonable to attempt this trip with my Leaf. Is there a list of places where i can get enough charge to do this in a reasonable time?

I see the trip is roughly 325 miles...If I was going to attempt it, I would try to break it down in charging segments of 70-75 miles if you're going to be driving faster (such as on the freeway), or perhaps a few more miles if you're going to be driving slower.

There are 240v charging facilities at most Nissan dealers, so that's a starting point. There are a few other charging stations popping up at various places, or you may have to charge at 120v if there's nothing closeby. It will take a little research on your part. You may even be able to get a forum member to help out with their home charger if you need it.

I've been contemplating a similar trip. At the Leaf's charging rate of 12 miles of range for every hour of 240v charging, it will take awhile to recharge. And you'll have to do this several times along the way, so I think you'll need to stay overnight at least in a couple of places to make it work...

Randy

San Diego (actually Santa Monica?) to Tucson has been done, so go for it.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4541

I went on to CarWings, and it was pretty easy to come up with this>

The only difficult part will be SBP to Salinas. You will want to have your modified EVSE with several plugs, and I'd start looking for an RV park in that leg. Have a NEMA 14-50P plug for the EVSE. Good luck!! How many days do you have planned?

1001 E BATTLES RD, SANTA MARIA, CALIFORNIA Phone #:805-925-0077

12150 LOS OSOS VALLEY RD, SAN LUIS OBISPO, CALIFORNIA Phone #:805-543-4423

222 AUTO CENTER CIR, Salinas, CALIFORNIA Phone #:831-444-8888

400 STUTZ WAY, GILROY, CALIFORNIA Phone #:408-842-1777

CHARD DR, SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA Phone #:408-978-1234

LeafSBAtoSFO.jpg

Hope your not in a hurry.

With only L2 charging, the golden rule is, the slower you drive, the faster you'll get there. Avoid freeways where possible, and expect tailgaters when you drive 55 on 55mph roads.

If the chargers are there, it should take two days. One overnight charge, and about 10-14 hours of L2 over the two days. I did 245 miles in one day on my drive home, but it took me 18 hours.

Look for L2's near places you want a spend a few hours.

You will obviously need a stop between San Luis Obispo and Salinas. Also allow for the Cuesta grade, north of San Luis, which will burn a lot of electrons!!

And don't use the "Perry-Lincoln" charger in SLO - if indeed there is one. The better choice is in the Marsh Street garage (1st level by the checkout) so that you can enjoy downtown SLO for 5-6 hours. Perfect location.

LindaK said:
And don't use the "Perry-Lincoln" charger in SLO - if indeed there is one. The better choice is in the Marsh Street garage (1st level by the checkout) so that you can enjoy downtown SLO for 5-6 hours. Perfect location.

Ah, the beauty of CarWings. A marvel !!!

I found an RV camp grounds between Paso Robles and Salinas, near King City:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/California/King_City.html

San Lorenzo Park
1160 Broadway, King City, CA 93930

http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/sanlorenzo.html

831.755.4899 (Reservations)
831.755.4895 (Business)
888.588.2267 (Toll Free)
eml: [email protected]

"This campground is a gem. Lovely park large spaces between campers, great grass areas and places to walk. Agricultural museum on the property. Clean county park never seems to be busy and a nice place to overnight or spend a few nights. Close to a supermarket and drug store. Exit off the 101 and look for signs. It was very quiet. You can get wood for a campfire. This was a lovely spot! We camped here in a Travel Trailer. "

Back