Asking for Lemon Law protection on Monday

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NissanTech375 said:
Do you have a mobile phone charging device installed in a power port of this car?
Do you have a building security pass chip device on your key ring or on your person?
Do you have music stored on a flash drive/chip attached to the car?

If you have any of these devices, keep them away from your car and see what happens.

I've seen this issue.

No.
I have a Blink and a ChargePoint RFID card in the center console.
No.

saintyohann said:
NissanTech375 said:
Do you have a mobile phone charging device installed in a power port of this car?
Do you have a building security pass chip device on your key ring or on your person?

If you have any of these devices, keep them away from your car and see what happens.

I've seen this issue.

No.
I have a Blink and a ChargePoint RFID card in the center console.
No.
It would be sadly amusing if the RFiD cards needed to charge the Leaf, were causing the problems (are they close enough to the "building security pass chip device" mentioned by the poster above?)

my cellphone car charger is plugged in 24/7. i know, not good but that is the way it is. i also have 7 RFID Charge cards in my sun glass holder, 2 other RFID badges (work thing) as well.

saintyohann said:
The last question was "how often does it happen." When I told him it was about every three weeks, he straight out said, "well we're not going to be able to recreate that." Basically I was told they don't see anything wrong so there's nothing to repair and they weren't going look any longer.

I work in Telecom and I sometimes get tickets for intermittant troubles. Intermittant ones are the worst. It might take up to 15 troubleshooting steps to fix a trouble. If it is down hard, then I can do all 15 in about 30 minutes. If I have to wait three weeks between steps, It could be a year before the trouble is fixed.

Sometimes I'll do the basic and intermediate testing, then try to convince management that it's better to build an entirely new circuit than to fix the one that's there.

NissanTech375 said:

I've seen this issue.
DaveinOlyWA said:
my cellphone car charger is plugged in 24/7. i know, not good but that is the way it is. i also have 7 RFID Charge cards in my sun glass holder, 2 other RFID badges (work thing) as well.

I have at least 5 RFID devices in my car as well and I've plugged in many things into the power and usb ports without any issues. But this note from NissanTech375 does make for an interesting hint. The likelihood of an RFID interfering with the fob power control system is remote, however, I have myself noticed that when my fob is in the same pocket as my phone the car will not respond to it. Whether this is because the phone is blocking the signals or somehow interfering with them I do not know but this shows that things can go wrong. (The phone itself is not an RFID device.) Next time this happens I suppose you could move all the RFIDs to the cargo area to see if the car will respond to you.

But... given all the OTHER issues you are encountering from your original post this sounds a lot more like what Ingineer thinks--faulty hardware generating random issues. I think the firmware update was likely coincidence. We always try to figure out "what changed recently" but in reality sometimes stuff just randomly fails. This occurs quite often during service visits, not because techs are inept (well, usually not), but just because they are in there poking and prodding things and sometimes that is all it takes to break something that was already close to failure.

So I would demand they replace the whole on-board computer or else go for the lemon law. I mean no one else is seeing any of this stuff and its a wide array of issues. I find it ridiculous that Nissan isn't doing more to fix this. My opinion of them is going downhill as well.

RFID cards do not work at all like the Keyless Fob does on the Leaf. The Nissan system is active which means the fob is powered versus passive for the type of RFID that's used in cards. There is almost no possible way that a passive RFID card could cause the Leaf to malfunction. Even if somehow the RFID cards were interfering with the Keyless system, the only symptom would be an unrecognized fob. The Leaf does not continuously scan for the fob once the car is being driven, only once the door is open, and even if you threw the fob out the window, the car will still operate normally until such time as you power it down.

-Phil

Well I got my car back today (Nissan picked it up Thursday after requesting one more chance to fix it).

Since they had the code about the interconnect, they re-seated the high voltage cabling, but stated none of it seemed loose and test drove it. (total time spent on it just over 3 hours)

The funniest thing is, my complaint about the car loosing bars at power off, was answered on the paperwork with (if you park on an incline and then a flat area (or vice versa) the battery readout may gain or lose bars because of a G sensor. Somebody tell me they're kidding, please.

saintyohann said:
The funniest thing is, my complaint about the car loosing bars at power off, was answered on the paperwork with (if you park on an incline and then a flat area (or vice versa) the battery readout may gain or lose bars because of a G sensor. Somebody tell me they're kidding, please.
Ah, I see... where you park grossly affects the accuracy of the fuel bars. :eek: Even if this were true, why would they admit to this problem? I guess the inaccuracy of the capacity bars suggests anything is possible, but it appears that you are the only one to report this particular issue. Do you park your Leaf on the moon, where gravity is quite different than here on earth??? :lol:

saintyohann said:
Well I got my car back today (Nissan picked it up Thursday after requesting one more chance to fix it).

Since they had the code about the interconnect, they re-seated the high voltage cabling, but stated none of it seemed loose and test drove it. (total time spent on it just over 3 hours)

This is known as the "gas tank effect", to simulate an old school gas tank. Just park on flat ground and your capacity will go up. I parked sideways on a steep hill and I got 294 GIDs.

By the way, this is what the dash looks like when it locks me out:

8002097216_ca19436d0f_c.jpg

Stoaty said:
saintyohann said:
Ah, I see... where you park grossly affects the accuracy of the fuel bars. :eek: ...

I don't know what's worse: That they are aware of this issue and told you, or that they haven't found a fix yet.

They need to do a buyback on that "Christine" evil car of yours. It is scary that it can do it at any time and leave you stranded with family at night in the middle of the road. At this point, I only recommend day time driving around your home but, this will defeat the purpose of the car.

Hope you can get it resolved sooner than later.

Ian B

We haven't driven it in months. If I needed it, I would drive it allowing for extra time if it freaks out. But my wife refuses to ride in it at all anymore.

Maybe that's the problem. You should drive it in any available free time you have. Then when it breaks down you should call Nissan and have it towed to a dealer... everytime. Eventually, they will be tired of seeing you. :lol: That or the tow drivers will quit answering your phone calls.

saintyohann said:

I actually have had a similar GOM issue (loosing 1 bar when parked) since the update. I assumed it was just a matter of Nissan changing the logic in the GOM to reduce the fuel bar so you are more conservative in your travels. I have not noticed a decreased amount of range but I am curious what a GID meter would tell me when I park then start up but I have not had the time to buy/borrow one to investigate.

Anyone have a meter I can borrow?

I'm going to leave the message below this paragraph here, so I don't make any replies seem out of place, but I jumped the gun on this a little. They had agreed to fix it AFTER the inspection, the settlement letter was written and THEN they refused the repair. Still they never contacted me, and then broke their agreement (that they never actually offered me because they won't call me back, but the one they provided BBB).

===old post===
And it gets better, while the Nissan Rep won't return my calls, they told the BBB (the arbitrator for this) that we had reached an agreement and CLOSED my arbitration.

I'm beyond pissed at Nissan by now, and I bet the BBB will be too when they find out this imaginary settlement was all a lie.

saintyohann said:
And it gets better, while the Nissan Rep won't return my calls, they told the BBB (the arbitrator for this) that we had reached an agreement and CLOSED my arbitration.
You probably did reach an agreement with them, you just don't remember it. ;) Certainly they would NEVER lie. :eek:

jcobb said:
I actually have had a similar GOM issue (loosing 1 bar when parked) since the update. I assumed it was just a matter of Nissan changing the logic in the GOM to reduce the fuel bar so you are more conservative in your travels. ...
Losing one bar is completely normal. The bars have hysteresis in them, meaning they use different values when dropping bars than when adding bars. This keeps bars from flipping on and off as regen increases the battery level slightly. Unfortunately, they use the "up" numbers when turning on the car, so the bar that is there when you're driving, often isn't there after you turn the car on and off. I find I "lose" a bar when parked nearly half the time. Always have.

davewill said:
jcobb said:
I actually have had a similar GOM issue (loosing 1 bar when parked) since the update. I assumed it was just a matter of Nissan changing the logic in the GOM to reduce the fuel bar so you are more conservative in your travels. ...
Losing one bar is completely normal. The bars have hysteresis in them, meaning they use different values when dropping bars than when adding bars.

My two LEAFs have done exactly the same.

I also have a (maybe) related issue. After my 2012 LEAF hit turtle for the first time (in Phoenix), I dragged it home to San Diego, and didn't start it to drive anywhere until the Sunday. When it was started, it showed low tire pressure and ABS warning lights. By the way, this is the same display that the other 2012 showed in Phoenix Saturday.

My tire pressure was legit. I had a nail. But, the ABS thing slammed on the brakes all by itself with the full chatter of the ABS working. Brake dust all over my front wheels.

I tried it several times, and disconnected the 12v battery for a computer reset, and it did it again after that. I was driven to downtown 20 miles, and it lit up lights there too (I wasn't there) but no ABS grinding.

Anyway, I pumped the tires back up to 44psi (we had lowered the pressure in PHX), so that should be fixed. Also, the ABS didn't fault today.

??????

I'll take it in to get the DTC codes (I sure wish I had a LEAFscan!!!!)

Back