Asking for Lemon Law protection on Monday

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
I do agree that from the limited amount I know, prior to the class action lawsuit settlement, it seems Toyota treated their customers pretty poorly on this issue. If I were in their shoes and had to fork over that much $, I'd probably be pretty pissed and not want to buy another Toyota.

It seems that as a result of all this, Toyota's gotten pretty paranoid about making sure people change their oil often. In my 06 Prius, there's a maintenance reminder light that automatically comes on every 5K miles since last reset. The oil change interval on my car is 6 months/5K miles. Current Priuses have 10K mile OCIs w/required synthetic and also have a maintenance reminder "dummy light".

I have a co-worker that had an Echo that went through this.

Toyota gives free service maintenance for the first 2 years.

cwerdna is a Toyota fanboy. Might as well ask an Xbox or iPhone owner to write a bad review about Microsoft or Apple. It's never going to happen. For fanboys the company they "love like girlfriends" can never do any wrong and the fanboy will always explain-away the bad behaviors of their corporation. (It's like sportsfans defending their team.) Even in this case where ~1 million engines had died and customers were stuck with $5000-6000 bills, the fanboy still claims is was acceptable behavior. In total 30 million cars had these overheating engines in them & were covered by the class-action lawsuit.

I on the other hand have yet to find a single company that wears a halo. They ALL have a history of mistreating their customers (or employees) poorly. I have a boycott list of companies from whom I will not buy products. It includes Apple, Google, Microsoft, and on and on.
BTW cwerdna:
How do you like me new signature?

theaveng said:
cwerdna is a Toyota fanboy. Might as well ask an Xbox or iPhone owner to write a bad review about Microsoft or Apple. It's never going to happen. For fanboys the company they "love like girlfriends" can never do any wrong and the fanboy will always explain-away the bad behaviors of their corporation. (It's like sportsfans defending their team.) Even in this case where ~1 million engines had died and customers were stuck with $5000-6000 bills, the fanboy still claims is was acceptable behavior. In total 30 million cars had these overheating engines in them & were covered by the class-action lawsuit.

I on the other hand have yet to find a single company that wears a halo. They ALL have a history of mistreating their customers (or employees) poorly. I have a boycott list of companies from whom I will not buy products. It includes Apple, Google, Microsoft, and on and on.
I admit that I am a Toyota fan. Fanboy? Not quite. I am somewhat of a Nissan fan too (had 2 of them). I still would like to see a source about your bolded claim. I highly doubt the # is that high, otherwise we'd see horrible CR engine reliability results on the affected vehicle.

I (and even the Priuschat founder) wasn't too thrilled that it took a class action lawsuit (http://www.girardgibbs.com/Prius.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to get a warranty extension/reimbursement on HID headlights on 06-09 Priuses. One of mine started going out, a bit after the 5 year/50K mile extended warranty provided by the settlement. Dealer wouldn't even try to claim it or take the case up w/Toyota due to that. I changed the bulb myself and pleaded my case anyway via claim form. Fortunately, I was reimbursed for the cost of 2 bulbs (1 I used, the other as a spare, since the other bulb will likely fail soon anyway). It's the best class action settlement I've ever gotten. It wasn't something worthless like $5, a pack of CD-Rs or a lousy coupon.

I've never bought any Google products but have plenty of AAPL and MSFT ones.

theaveng said:

BTW cwerdna:
How do you like me new signature?

I would like to see the ~1 million stats. That just seems like a high number for a Toyota Echo.

ztanos said:
I would like to see the ~1 million stats. That just seems like a high number for a Toyota Echo.
The sludging covered multiple models and engines. That said, I could envision thousands or 10s of thousands or maybe even 100-300K with engine failures due to this in the US where they were stuck with the bill, but 1 million?

cwerdna said:
ztanos said:
The sludging covered multiple models and engines. That said, I could envision thousands or 10s of thousands or maybe even 100-300K with engine failures due to this in the US where they were stuck with the bill, but 1 million?

Agreed. ~1 million is a lot... even with multiple models.

theaveng said:
I have a boycott list of companies from whom I will not buy products. It includes Apple, Google, Microsoft, and on and on.
Hmmm. When you say buy - do you also mean "use" ? How do you search the web ... ?

An unfortunate consequence of a lawsuit is it makes it more difficult for Nissan to communicate with their customers. Now every word uttered by Nissan could be used against them.

evnow said:
theaveng said:
I have a boycott list of companies from whom I will not buy products. It includes Apple, Google, Microsoft, and on and on.
Hmmm. When you say buy - do you also mean "use" ? How do you search the web ... ?

He could be using a multitude of options. Microsoft and Apple aren't the only known operating systems. Linux makes a ton of free OS's that are as stable, if not more stable than either Apple or Microsoft. Apple actually stole the code from Ubuntu a couple of generations ago. (Well, I guess it isn't stealing when it's open source) As for the browsing the web he could use firefox search or yahoo.

Apple copied Ubuntu code several generations ago? Seems unlikely. OS X is the NeXT OS which was developed back in the 80s... long before ubuntu existed.

Toyota is the 2nd largest carmaker (now #1). Don't know why you found the "1 million bad engines" figure so remarkable given ~100 million sold over the last decade. They made the engine run hot in an attempt to achieve better combustion/lower emissions and it turns oil to sludge. And yes I have a source. I found it on google a week ago when I was reviewing the engine problems. Not that I think the # is relevant. There really is NO excuse for ANY company to deny warranty service to a customer who has dealer records showing regular oil changes. Not even once should that happen. Corporations are assholes when they do that.

"Don't buy" means don't buy. If some company hands me a product for free, like Gmail or youtube, then I'll use it. But you will never see my buy Microsoft Office or a Chromebook.

For search engines duckduckgo is pretty good. It's what Opera and Iron browsers use as default.
evnow said:
theaveng said:

Apple used BSD Unix for the underpinnings of OSX and iOS. They published their version with all the changes they made as Darwin. Of course there are multiple layers above that for interface and such.

Also you've gone a bit off topic, please start a new topic if you wish to discuss Toyota.

Just got a notice from the BBB, looks like they're flying someone out from TN to fight my claim.

What was that quote from the capacity thread? "In the interest of customer satisfaction...."

saintyohann said:
Just got a notice from the BBB, looks like they're flying someone out from TN to fight my claim.

What was that quote from the capacity thread? "In the interest of customer satisfaction...."
I can't believe they are playing hardball on this problem. They admit there is a problem, but can't reproduce it because it is intermittent. They don't want to see your documentary evidence (photo of the car acting up). I would definitely go to the media on this one.

I bet the BBB would like to see the pics/ video, and papers documenting the issues. Obviously this is a battle you show your stuff, they show theirs, try and discredit you and such. The facts speak for themselves either it never happened or you have some solid proof and they have no leg to stand on by an impartial person. Hopefully leaning toward the customer not the Auto industry or why have BBB.

Stoaty said:
saintyohann said:
I can't believe they are playing hardball on this problem. They admit there is a problem, but can't reproduce it because it is intermittent. They don't want to see your documentary evidence (photo of the car acting up). I would definitely go to the media on this one.
If you do a search on ...
nissan+leaf+battery+good+will+gesture
https://www.google.com/search?q=nissan+leaf+battery+good+will+gesture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... then you see where Nissan is telling the media it is a "goodwill gesture" and "According to Nissan spokeswoman Katherine Zachary, the decision to buy back cars isn't an admittance of fault on Nissan's part: it's a way to keep customers happy."

I am sure buying back the cars is a "good will gesture." Most likely to try to get people to be quiet before it gets even wider attention than it already is. I find it funny how a Volt that caught on fire weeks after a controlled collision made the news for what seemed like months on end. Here we have real people in the real world that are having problems with the LEAF and only local news media seems interested. It is funny how all of that seems to work out... For those that are keeping, or stuck with their cars with lost bars it will be interesting to see what happens to them next summer. I just hope that those that are suffering accelerated losses are able to find some kind of resolution to their issue.

Roadburner440 said:
Here we have real people in the real world that are having problems with the LEAF and only local news media seems interested.

I am trying. I've been in contact with a news station in San Diego and I'm trying to also get something lined up in Los Angeles. Hopefully we'll shoot something this week or early next and then they'll air when I get BBB's decision. The production guy had me take a bunch of photos before I get my cast off tomorrow...I think they're going to push the "look how Nissan treated this disabled guy," which is better than "another EV problem."

Back