Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grommet said:
mitch672 said:
I believe I read that the heat and A/C on the Model S is a heat pump
Yes, the Model S has an efficient heat pump design... like 2013 LEAF will offer.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that heat pumps are most efficient with moderate temperature differences, the advantage falling off greatly with really cold temps?

yes heat pumps work well when they have heat to pump. as far lost range in winter, it seems to me that Roadster owners were reporting about a 20% loss of range and that would all be due to the pitfalls of winter driving only right? denser cold air, defrost, etc.

Model S sighting in the Denver metro area!!! I saw my first Model S in the wild. C-470 during the evening rush hour. Burgundy. Beautiful!

GRA said:
grommet said:
mitch672 said:
I believe I read that the heat and A/C on the Model S is a heat pump
Yes, the Model S has an efficient heat pump design... like 2013 LEAF will offer.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that heat pumps are most efficient with moderate temperature differences, the advantage falling off greatly with really cold temps?

Yep, under 0 degF or so the efficiency falls off very fast on modern heat pumps. But my Leaf range suffers a lot from using the heater in 25-45 degF weather (of which we have a lot...), where a heat pump works VERY well.

I would think Nissan would have resistive heater backups for colder weather. That's what most electric homes with heat pumps use when the weather gets too cold for the heat pump to be effective. They're not very efficient, but it's probably no worse than the current heater in the Leaf. But that's speculation on my part. Does anybody know what the 2013 Leafs will have? For that matter, what does the Model S do for extremely cold weather?

The Leaf's current system of heating up a liquid seems to have been an expedient way to re-use current automotive heater technology to make it to market quickly.

garsh said:
I would think Nissan would have resistive heater backups for colder weather. That's what most electric homes with heat pumps use when the weather gets too cold for the heat pump to be effective. They're not very efficient, but it's probably no worse than the current heater in the Leaf. But that's speculation on my part. Does anybody know what the 2013 Leafs will have? For that matter, what does the Model S do for extremely cold weather?

The Leaf's current system of heating up a liquid seems to have been an expedient way to re-use current automotive heater technology to make it to market quickly.

The Model S has a thermally managed battery pack (liquid cooled and heated), the same system is used for the cabin heating and cooling. Just recently have Model S's been shipped to colder climates, so we'll start getting reports this winter on the heating system, as the saying goes, time will tell.

garsh said:
Does anybody know what the 2013 Leafs will have?
I already answered just a few posts ago. It'll have a heat pump solution that will be far more energy efficient heating the cabin. Yes, marketing will continue to say the 2013 LEAF has better range in cold weather because of this. ;-)

grommet said:
garsh said:
Does anybody know what the 2013 Leafs will have?
I already answered just a few posts ago. It'll have a heat pump solution that will be far more energy efficient heating the cabin. Yes, marketing will continue to say the 2013 LEAF has better range in cold weather because of this. ;-)

Well, they will leave out the "cold" part, and just say 25% more range.

Finally got to ride in a "Model S" here in Dallas; someone drove one to our monthly NTEAA meeting (he also has a Roadster). I was very impressed, both with the ride and the style. The main info screen was just too cool, as were the retractable door handles, but the most amazing thing was all the trunk space in both the front and rear.

Stanton said:
Finally got to ride in a "Model S" here in Dallas; someone drove one to our monthly NTEAA meeting (he also has a Roadster). I was very impressed, both with the ride and the style. The main info screen was just too cool, as were the retractable door handles, but the most amazing thing was all the trunk space in both the front and rear.
If only they had included space for a spare. The frunk apparently won't hold one (just a bare wheel), and who wants to take up cargo space in the back in an umpteen-thousand dollar car? I realize that BMW and others have been going the run-flat route, and most companies are just giving you a can of sealant and inflator, but if you've got a car with road trip range you shouldn't be forced to wait for hours to get towed somewhere if you have a flat. Had a friend experience that with his BMW M3 a few years back - sidewall cut killed the run-flat, and he and his wife got to twiddle their thumbs waiting for the flatbed. Flats may be rare now, but they still happen.

Flats are not rare around here. I Gabe replaced 2 tires and had a half inch bolt pulled out of another.

Not alone here. Probably a dozen stories or more of people getting tires replaced or fixed

Looks like Tesla may be doing leases next year according to email I got tonight from them. Hope it is true.

Ian,
i completely understand your concern and interest in a lease option. The reservations are fully refundable and we have word that a lease will be available next year. When next year it's TBD. Although with a reservation now it puts you in queue for Summer 2013. We offered the lease on the Roadster about 7 months after it first delivered. If the lease isn't ready by the time you select options you can always take full refund on your deposit. If you are in line and the lease become available you will be one of the early lessees on Model S. just a thought.

Ben

Sent from my iPhone

Ian B

MrIanB said:
Hope it is true.
Heard something to that effect on the Tesla forum a while ago. Might have been mentioned in one of their investor conferences as well.

Hmmmm. Never have leased, but I sure might consider a model S lease. I made the reservation deposit a few months ago - we'll see what happens. In any event, I am going to have one in my garage.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Flats are not rare around here. I Gabe replaced 2 tires and had a half inch bolt pulled out of another.

Not alone here. Probably a dozen stories or more of people getting tires replaced or fixed
I agree. Flats are not rare. As I posted on http://priuschat.com/threads/prius-its-the-prius-v-that-you-wanted-but-cant-have.89652/page-4#post-1468472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:

This is probably not a complete list of flats I've gotten but I can remember these off the top of my head. I don't have all the dates. All cars below were bought new by me except the Camry.

- at least 1 flat on my 91 Camry (sometime between 1997-1999; car was a hand me down in 97, I don't remember how miles it had when handed down to me, but I sold it ~90K miles in late 01 or early 02)
- at least 1 or 2 flats on my 02 Maxima (sold it before 40K miles)
- at least 1 or 2 flats on my 04 350Z (sold it before <54K miles in mid-2011)
- at least 3-6 flats on my 06 Prius now @ ~61K miles (1 was unrepairable due to being at the edge, another was either a tire failure or hitting due to hitting a road hazard on I-5, 150 miles away from home, near Coalinga (aka middle of nowhere w/the strong odor of cow dung) when I was a passenger)

Some flats were in WA state and others were in CA. Fortunately, out of all of the above, I can only think of 2 times where I had to use the spare, on the Camry and once on the Prius. The other times, the leak/damage wasn't so bad that I was able to overinflate the tire and drive home and/or to the tire repair place.

MrIanB said:
Looks like Tesla may be doing leases next year according to email I got tonight from them. Hope it is true.
I've been told the same thing and put down a deposit on the hopes it works out before my time comes up...

Saw my first Model S in the wild today. No wonder Motor Trend Voted it 2013 car of the year. This is a very attractive car, I deffenately see myself owning one in the future.

2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S
Shocking Winner: Proof Positive that America Can Still Make (Great) Things
http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/1301_2013_motor_trend_car_of_the_year_tesla_model_s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Live Stream of the special event Tesla hosted today with Motor Trend editors there in attendance:
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/1473684/events/1672623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drees said:
2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S
Shocking Winner: Proof Positive that America Can Still Make (Great) Things
http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/1301_2013_motor_trend_car_of_the_year_tesla_model_s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Live Stream of the special event Tesla hosted today with Motor Trend editors there in attendance:
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/1473684/events/1672623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good news. Of course, it IS only Motor Trend, who used to have a reputation for being unduly influenced by ad buys (anyone else remember them voting the execrable GM X-cars Car of the Year around 1980, just because they were the first domestic mid-size cars with transverse engines/front-wheel drive)? Still, we can hope that they make Car & Driver's 10 Best list, a more valued award among auto geeks.

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/it-true-there-will-be-model-s-price-increase-near-future" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it true there will be a Model S price increase in the near future?
nkinkaid@teslam... | November 20, 2012

Yes, we will be announcing a Model S price increase in the near future. However, there are a few very important points to understand about the upcoming price increase:...
Maybe the Rav4 EV will seem like more a "bargain"/good value?

Back